Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    ant431 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am travelling to Hong Kong in August and I'm contemplating on using this card. I was just wondering if anyone has used this in Hong Kong or in an Asian country? Are the rates good when you make a purchase? Is it reliable?

Thanks in advance!
    Which card?
  • Supergrot
    Options
    I have used Caxton in the past (USD). Can anyone advise me how the FairFX or Revolut are better? Should I be changing? Thanks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Supergrot wrote: »
    I have used Caxton in the past (USD). Can anyone advise me how the FairFX or Revolut are better? Should I be changing? Thanks
    The FairFX cards are a similar product to CaxtonFX and usually considered to be better value. Revolut is the best value and is very versatile with its cutting edge technology, which also makes it vulnerable to the occasional bug and glitch.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • ant431
    ant431 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Which card?
    I was wondering if anyone has used the Revolut card in Hong Kong and if they had any troubles using it over there?
  • wiggly
    wiggly Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 17 May 2016 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm completely new to this and reading the guide has made my head hurt, so can I ask a couple of questions here instead?

This year I'm off to France and I want a card to use over there. I don't just want a CC as being a DFW I'm worried I'll end up spending more than I meant to (though I will get one in case as a back up option, going for the Halifax Clarity I think).

I've never heard of any of the pre-paid cards and I'm a bit confused. We won't be spending lots, mainly food shopping, fuel and toll roads (and wine, oh yes the wine), so what would be the best one for me? It would be mainly card transactions but with occasional cash? Is there a best card for that? I'm tempted by the revolut one because of the app and being able to manage it online easily - is that the best way or does the app not really add anything?

Can you get joint pre-paid cards? Or are they one name only? Or does it not matter if they're chip and pin really?

Sorry if this is all really basic stuff.
    Trying to get on top of finances one step at a time
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wiggly wrote: »
    I'm tempted by the revolut one because of the app and being able to manage it online easily - is that the best way or does the app not really add anything?
    Go for it - Revolut is the best prepaid solution. The app is everything, apart from the card itself. It's free, so just get one each, you can send funds to each other instantly. Use the Clarity for road tolls etc, where Revolut probably won't work.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm completely new to this and reading the guide has made my head hurt, so can I ask a couple of questions here instead?

This year I'm off to France and I want a card to use over there. I don't just want a CC as being a DFW I'm worried I'll end up spending more than I meant to (though I will get one in case as a back up option, going for the Halifax Clarity I think).

I've never heard of any of the pre-paid cards and I'm a bit confused. We won't be spending lots, mainly food shopping, fuel and toll roads (and wine, oh yes the wine), so what would be the best one for me? It would be mainly card transactions but with occasional cash? Is there a best card for that? I'm tempted by the revolut one because of the app and being able to manage it online easily - is that the best way or does the app not really add anything?

Can you get joint pre-paid cards? Or are they one name only? Or does it not matter if they're chip and pin really?

Sorry if this is all really basic stuff.

If you've a branch near you, get a Metro Bank debit card.
  • wiggly
    First Post
    Options
    What makes metro bank better then say revolut?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    What makes metro bank better then say revolut?

No ATM withdrawal limit...and more likely to work at petrol stations etc.
    Metro Bank debit and credit hold their own in the SEPA.
    Revolut for outside this area or if you want to lock in a Euro or US dollar rate.
  • wiggly
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that - had a look and there isn't a branch near me to open an account. Rats
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure