PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to help!

Although I've just found out that the flap thing folds back so it doesn't have to keep hitting your nose!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dinner was a repeat of yesterday, steak sandwich with asparagus and broccoli.

Have been updating my CV on my tablet but think I might have to dig the laptop out this autocorrect has a mind of its own, for example one of my previous roles apparently involved supervising tomatoes, now i admit I took a few temp roles in the past that wouldn't necessarily have been my preference in better job markets but supervising fruit and veg wasn't one of them, although might be less stressful than people management!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Well I forgot to buy dates, and accidentally bought cashew butter instead of almond, and I think cashews are the one nut I don't like but I always get them and pecans mixed up. But I'm not a huge fan of peanuts but like the butter, so hopefully it'll be ok.

Hit Waitrose at the right time for yellow stickered meat, got a couple of thin steaks and two chicken breasts. There was a lot more stuff but didn't want to be too greedy, especially if I slip back into bad habits of forgetting to take stuff out of the freezer and having to nip out to buy fresh. I did get halloumi and big mushrooms, so can either grill those or do an omelette as a back up.

For veg I went for big prepped tubs and a bag of stir fry veg.

Today's been OK though. I started out with avocado and smoked salmon (1), then a big smoothie with 100g strawberries, 100g celery and about 80g frozen beetroot (3). and tea was a disappointing lasagne ready meal with ready made spinach mornay (1), and a punnet of raspberries after (1). So that's 6 and no binging.

Have to be disciplined tomorrow because there's lots of stuff just about out of date. I'm not sure whether to bin the sausages that went out of date on the 12th, if they pass the sniff and tentative taste test I'll have some for breakfast.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Well I forgot to buy dates, and accidentally bought cashew butter instead of almond, and I think cashews are the one nut I don't like but I always get them and pecans mixed up. But I'm not a huge fan of peanuts but like the butter, so hopefully it'll be ok.

Well it doesn't really help you work out which one it is you like, but i really like cashews but avoid pecans if possible. That being said the only nut butter I've had is peanut.
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi guys very interesting thread i look after people with learning dificulties and mainly alternate between lates and earlies. i tend to eat out a lot and get one in 3 weekends off so il cook myself a sunday roast every third sunday and on my days off have a walk or bus into town and eat out in a cafe or food court and sort of restrict myself in a later meal to make up for it....i know i should cook more but cant always be bothered.....however i have diabetes and my sugars have been rising . ....i bought a diabetes cook book has good ideas ...but the premise was a mum feeding her diabetic son and the rest of the famly(diabetes cookbook vickie de bier) im a just turned 50 bloke carrying a bit more than i should ....you all take care
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Last nights CFO didn't happen at all.....I just ate a whole 190g tube of sour cream and onion pringles :o

They were on offer and I made the mistake of buying them..then made the even bigger mistake of opening them..next thing I know they are all gone :o

Shameful behaviour on my behalf! But I'm paying for it, I feel like shoite this morning :(
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yesterday
    weetabix and kefir, didn`t fill me long enough so
    slice of hm cake with mug of tea at break time

salad with halloumi and soya beans from a jar
    blackcurrant crumble and hm ice cream
    raw chocolate

berries and walnuts and buttered sourdough

afternoon snack, juiced green veg with juiced carrot, celery celeriac and mint

hmmm, looking at the list, I am not surprised that weight isn`t falling off but I so resent having to give up a slice of cake or two small pieces of sourdough

Went on a cycle ride and worked on the allotment and had an afternoon nap

today starts with muesli blackcurrants and almond milk

lunch will be salad with soya beans and cold green beans and broad beans. Followed by blackcurrant crumble and the last of the ice cream. Then chocolate

snack, kefir

Later, berries and few walnuts and two brazils and I`ll try not to think of cake, sitting in the fridge

karcher, that is me, don`t beat yourself up, that really is me. A few weeks ago I actually opened christmas bits and had to pour them into the bin to stop me eating them, if I had put the pack in the bin then I would have fished it out and eaten all of them. Its also called mouth hunger and is also comfort eating. I get it all the time
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 8:20AM
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »
    I took a few temp roles in the past that wouldn't necessarily have been my preference in better job markets but supervising fruit and veg wasn't one of them, although might be less stressful than people management!

You can share my "thought for the day" I woke up with. I've just been calculating how many things in my life I wouldnt have done by choice - but did because of shortage of money. I came to the conclusion that's most of my life on that "wouldnt have if I could have afforded not to...." list:cool:...

Must stop thinking philosophical thoughts for the day - and get on and make my breakfast..

On the food front - dinner yesterday was some sort of vegetarian burger I got out of the freezer (forgotten what I made it with), a stir-fry of red cabbage/onion/garlic/courgette/tomatoes, a bit of (healthy) type ketchup for that burger, steamed potatoes with a bit of butter on them. Likely to be single persons ground hog day with much the same today...

EDIT; Wah! just seen Ames is near a Waitrose. Wah! A little tear just came to my eye....sighs....now really must get breakfast (courtesy of T*sco and the local health food store).

Kittie - I can resonate with throwing food in the bin to make sure I don't eat it. It's far from unknown for me to do that - or give it away quick to the first person I come across.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2 plums for breakfast :)
    Plums are mucky aren't they - as you're trying to chew the plum bit off the stone and holding it with your fingers.... chocolate biscuits are easier.

I am near a Waitrose - but never go there because it's £2 to park and I'd only be in there "to see what they've got that's cheap", so it'd defeat the object.

Some people who count how much money they've "saved" each day might say this is me saving £730/year by not parking there :) So I'm ahead in some people's "odd way of counting money gained" book.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Welcome to daz378

I really enjoyed my turkey steak with roasted veggies last night though did end up cooking it in the oven. I was an ideal CFO meal - one dish to cook it in and no leftovers:)

Just had a banana and toast and lunch will be eggs someway as I have loads in the fridge. I'm not CFO tonight as my son is coming home and I'm making cumberland sausages, carmelised onions, gravy, swede, mash and peas:D I had 4 big pink onions needing used up so they've been sliced and popped in the slow cooker with a splash of balsamic vinegar and a knob of butter. I'll make extra mash either for some point in the next fews days or if I can find a nook in the freezer I'll freeze it. I do need to get my finger out and get my meat order sorted out and frozen but it's all got decent use bys so I can do that over the next few days:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure