PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Redundancy

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am registered disabled and have been since 2004 and I get all sorts of things apart from my blue badge .I pay £6.00 a year for a cinema exhibitors ticket and when I go to the cinema I get an extra ticket free for who ever comes in with me ,sometimes its my friend or one of my DDs or grandsons, plus you can get a ticket yearly to help with reductions on the trains which help quite a bit . Local councils often have things for the registered person plus a carer no matter who it is.Worth checking to see whats available especially if your income is limited
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have the CEA card as mentioned by JackieO; for the £6 it costs to get, if you only see one film a year, it more than pays for itself! Ironically, Mr LW has decided he wants to see the new Blade Runner film, so I have to drag my sorry a$$ into town with him tomorrow for that (I'd sooner stay home if I'm honest).

Another thought for getting fresh air and exercise - if you feel a bit of a Charlie going out on your own, why not see if an elderly/busy neighbour has a dog they'd like walked? Where I used to live, there was a lady who would happily have walked all day, but she felt vulnerable going out alone, so she used to borrow the Weimaraner belonging to a family where both parents worked long hours and the kids weren't yet old enough to be trusted alone with the dog (Tess was quite strong).
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hey everyone, hope you’re all well.
    Solicitors went fine yesterday, hubby signed on the dotted line, i think he was a bit emotional but he’s ok.
    Pickle is feeling much better also.
    Oh and hubby has been offered a job interview (so that’s 2 now) this one is for a job he really wants and a company he loves (and has been working alongside for years so they know him).
    It would involve a lot of change for us and probably a big move :eek:
    I’ll support him no matter what but i have to admit that the prospect is scary. This is the longest I’ve lived anywhere my whole life.
    Will just have to wait and see what happens.

I had agreed ages ago that Pickle could have a Halloween party as he’s not doing anything for his Birthday. So in 2 weeks time I’m taking home 3 extra children after school for a small party.
    I have sweets aplenty as MIL has been collecting some for us and a while back picked up a really cheap pumpkin piñata.
    Pickle saw some pass the parcel pumpkins in a$da and so I’m going to make one with orange and purple tissue paper that we already have.
    One of the children finishes school later as she has an after school activity so as I’m so close I didn’t mind going to get her, so I’m going to do a Halloween treasure hunt on the way back (again using the chocolate from MIL).
    I was thinking that this week I could make up some pre prepared pizza bases and freeze them and the kids can decorate their own pizzas. I always have cheese in anyway so it would just be the tomato I’d need to buy.
    I was thinking satsuma and homemade Halloween biscuits for snack after school, the pizza for tea and homemade cake for dessert.
    I’m not overly worried about keeping it healthy as it is a party and the kids are all so fussy.
    Would you make anything else? Just trying to keep it cheap.

After the party we are taking them all trick or treating (with their own parents and siblings coming along).

This is the first time ever we will have done anything like this at home. Im a little anxious and hoping i do it “right”

so when i pick them up I’m going to tell them the game is to each hold onto orange paper streamer and see if we can make it home without it ripping :rotfl: (this is my plan to stop them all running off).

Get home, have snack perhaps with a Halloween themed cartoon on.

Decorate the homemade pizzas.

Pass the parcel

Go get the other little one and do a treasure hunt all the way home (not sure how to hide the stuff but when i take pickle out to do this sometimes i put bits in my pocket, send him in one direction while i chuck stuff on the floor :rotfl:)

Come back and they can hunt in the garden (i’ll Pre hide stuff) while i cook the pizzas

Eat

Piñata

Trick or treat

Does this sound ok?
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options

Does this sound ok?

Sugar
    Treasure Hunt
    Smashing up a pinata
    Running round dressed up yelling with excitement

This sounds exactly what a kids party should involve. To be honest I'd like more grown up parties to be this fun.

Best of luck for your husband's interviews.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That sounds amazing and how brilliant to be so inventive well done I'm sure the children will love it, kids like it when 'grown ups' do things for them and the effort you are putting in is just the job Well done I hope the party goes well .Good idea not to have too many children as well then your pickle won't feel overwhelmed. I would be so niv=ce if more parents thought about what their kids actually wanted in a small party rather then a lot of them vieing with each other to see who can spend the most cash on a party.My Dd when her children were small did similar things and the boys friends always loved the parties as it was such a lot of fun. She will decorate the house this year with spooky stuff even though the boys are a bit too old for it now Her youngest is 13 but they will all enjoy seeing other children knocking on the door and she will make sure that not only a box of sweeties are available for the children to dig into but she also makes biscuits and cakes and the boys help to decorate them. She decotaes the front of the house and they help to carve out pumpkins which are set in the garden with tea lights in them so children know to knock on the door. She will also have a large plastic tub of water with apples in and those kids that want to can try their hand at trying to nab an apple with their teeth :):):) She is a good lass and even though she works full time she has always made the effort for the kids and not just thrown money at someone else to pay for a party. I think she is just an overgrown kid herself and is 48 going on 12 really :) So much like her late Dad who was an overgrown kid himself :):):)

Good luck with your OH's interviews I'll have my fingers crossed for him :):)
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    How wonderful chirpy chick!
    We always did a Halloween party when ours were young, I thought it a good way to keep it manageable.
    It was pretty much like yours, not the 'find your way' streamer though, which is such a good idea!
    I did 'mulled wine', these days I'd use grape juice from Lidl's, added a bit of orange, some fruity bits, and warm.
    I cut apples across, so they could see the star in the middle.
    You may feel it's a step too far, but I asked parents to bring a change of clothes and towel, then I spread an old sheet on the floor to do apple bobbing. We had an apple tree, and it used up the small misshapen apples! We did it as parents arrived, so they were part of the fun, the water washed off the scary makeup, the we had the 'wine' and the parents dried and dressed their kids to take home.

Your post brought back happy memories! Thank you.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi CChick
    I did a halloween party for my DGC ( now 6 and 8 ) last year. Apparently I have to do it again this year ! If the weather is bad you could do the treasure hunt indoors by giving them a written / picture clue. That way you could hide things in advance around the house. (There are lots of clues on t'internet) Last year I gave them a clue as to the whereabouts of a paper ghost with the correct number on it, when they found it, they could come back and choose a prize each, that I had already wrapped. ( only small things like crayons or a Halloween chocolate ). We also hung small ring doughnuts on different length strings and hung them on a broom handle. They had to eat them without using their hands. Even the adults got in on the act :rotfl:.
    For tea I made jellies in a plastic glass with some gummy worms sticking out of the top, homemade "Mummy" sausage rolls and spooky fairy cakes ( the children could always decorate those with some of the sweets too ) HTH.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just popping my head round the door before we head to the cinema to wish Mr Chirpychick all the very best with the interviews. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed! :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Just popping my head round the door before we head to the cinema to wish Mr Chirpychick all the very best with the interviews. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed! :D

Thank you so much, that is so kind and thoughtful x
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I think if Mr. Chirpy is as sensible, fun and determined as his wife, then any employer would be happy to have him!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure