Travel credit cards

Options

Comments

• richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I reckon creation then for the lower rate for cash withdrawals and just pay off same day.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2016 at 10:54PM
    Options
    I reckon creation then for the lower rate for cash withdrawals and just pay off same day.

Most likely Yes. Just go for lower interest rate for cash withdrawal. Do not know the interest you have got on your claritycard

But few people who got their clartycard much earlier have interest of 12.9%, eg. same as creation. So for these people both are equally good.
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah I don't have a clarity card so I would be applying for new one and it's 18/19% now. Just done creation and it's been approved :)
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • emmaljonesbz
    Options
    I've got a Halifax clarity card and have reapplied for the Supercard as had one during the pilot scheme. As Supercard is now a Mastercard as is Halifax's clarity card is there any difference when using them just for purchases? I pay my Halifax clarity card off in full and don't use it to withdraw from ATM. Have a cashback barclaycard so planning on linking this to my Supercard.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As Supercard is now a Mastercard as is Halifax's clarity card is there any difference when using them just for purchases?.
    Both the Clarity and the new Supercard will give you the MasterCard exchange rate applicable on the date of settlement of the transaction. With Clarity it's usually a day or two after the purchase, Supercard may work differently, but this daily fluctuation will be the cause of any difference between the two.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    USA visitors to UK

[Is there a way to start a new "thread" in these forums? I couldn't see one. So I guess I'll have to subscribe to this one, and get emailed every time there's a post about UK card use.]

I have a cousin visiting in September/October. (She's not been outside USA/Canada/Mexico before, so should be fun having her visit this quaint little country!)

Do USA-issued credit/debit cards play all the same tricks (transaction fees, withdrawal fees, etc.) that (most of) ours do abroad?

If so, are there any similar "best buy" cards she should apply for - or, any terrible ones I should hope aren't the ones she's got?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    G6JPG wrote: »
    USA visitors to UK

[Is there a way to start a new "thread" in these forums? I couldn't see one. So I guess I'll have to subscribe to this one, and get emailed every time there's a post about UK card use.]

I have a cousin visiting in September/October. (She's not been outside USA/Canada/Mexico before, so should be fun having her visit this quaint little country!)

Do USA-issued credit/debit cards play all the same tricks (transaction fees, withdrawal fees, etc.) that (most of) ours do abroad?

If so, are there any similar "best buy" cards she should apply for - or, any terrible ones I should hope aren't the ones she's got?

Yes, cards issued in the USA face the same fees and charges as those issued here. Unfortunately most users of this forum are based in the UK so do not know about products offered in other countries. Your cousin might find help on the 'Thorn Tree' bulletin board (part of the Lonely Planet site), or could just ask around among friends and neighbours.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    G6JPG wrote: »
    USA visitors to UK

The oft recommended card is from Charles Schwab. But I think quite the palaver to get one. Alternatives; https://home.capitalone360.com/online-checking-account
    For a credit card; https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-preferred Alternatives: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee?CELL=63WS

Just remember to cancel it before the end of the first year, to avoid any annual fee. Not a comprehensive list.
  • Pegasus1992
    Options
    Same here, my score with Experian is 999 out of 999 but I was still only offered 17.9. No idea how you're supposed to get 12.9!! Feeling quite insulted I emailed them to tell them it didn't matter anyway as I always pay it off and am only using them for the overseas benefits lol. No reply received.
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The oft recommended card is from Charles Schwab. But I think quite the palaver to get one. Alternatives; https://home.capitalone360.com/online-checking-account
    For a credit card; https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-preferred Alternatives: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee?CELL=63WS

Just remember to cancel it before the end of the first year, to avoid any annual fee. Not a comprehensive list.
    Thanks for the information: passed on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure