PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May we discuss Quilting?

Options

Comments

• ALFlem
    ALFlem Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I've taken up patchworking again after many years and I'm really enjoying it. I've successfully made a new tea cosy(first project- thought it best to start small) and a cover for my dog's bed which he loves! I'm just wondering if anyone had any ideas for projects. I've started on a bed-spread for our bed but it's going to take a while as I have a theme (Earth tones) so will take my time on that. I've thought about making little xmas decorations, pomanders and such to give as gifts this xmas but I'm stuck for projects.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts

Nov 08 - HSBC Loan £8540, Capital One, £1467 over 2 cards, Car Loan £1983, Personal Loan £1274 :mad: , Rent Back Charges £390, HFC £377 - Total £13,986 :eek:

Debt free by Sept 2010!! Or Bust!!!! :T :T :T
  • kersplatt
    Options
    Cushion covers are always good. I would imagine maybe a jacket or children's clothes if they were lined well would also be a possibility. I haven't touvched my patchwork for years :oops: I have a fair few pieces that I had planned to make into a bedspread
    Separated 17/06/10, now dealing with the fallout
    House sold and debt cleared 23rd May 2014. Now saving to get married!
    Current savings £0
  • ALFlem
    Options
    Cushion covers was a possibility. I could end up with a house full though lol :rolleyes:

Thanks
    A

Nov 08 - HSBC Loan £8540, Capital One, £1467 over 2 cards, Car Loan £1983, Personal Loan £1274 :mad: , Rent Back Charges £390, HFC £377 - Total £13,986 :eek:

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How about a shopping bag?? it would have to be lined but would look fabulous!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • ALFlem
    Options
    Thanks pigpen, that's a great idea. And really useful seeing as all of the supermarkets in my area have now stopped you having carrier bags!

I've just been given the idea of a draft excluder (sp?) which is very good idea and very thrifty..using old fabric to cut down on bills!!! :)

• luckys_mum
    Options
    Oh another patchworker, great. How about making place mats for your dining table for Christmas. You can impress family and friends and at the same time create a family heirloom. I have patchworks made by my mum in her shirt factory days and they are treasured by my grown up sons.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    I love this site http://www.quilterscache.com/ beware of the music lol makes you jump!
    Wonderful site with free quilt blocks,projects and pics of peoples work for inspiration :D
    Joanns,michaels,debbie mumm all have their own project pages with stacks of ideas and patterns on them.
    allfreecrafts has links for allsorts of things too

Patchworked xmas stockings look the business ;) I keep scraps 1" and up and often just sit and sew blocks together to chill out.Make up a simple plain block, make up to the rough size of a predrawn stocking template(cut from a cereal box) in assorted fabrics (2" squares look really good)
    Make the 'collar' of the stocking in a coordinating fabric.
    HTH
    D :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi there! We have an existing thread on making patchwork and quilting. I'll add this thread so that you can have more inspiration ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mambury
    mambury Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    Morning!

I've decided that one of my first projects is a quilt (probalby v. little!) so after reading this fantastic thread I though I would join!

My sewing background............

NONE!!!:p

I had been given a sewing machine for xmas last year and finally got it out of the box last month when I did a two day course on 'getting to know your sewing machine' since then I haven't touched it!

I think I am going to make some gift bags etc for xmas first and then when the xmas rush calms down ( I work p/t in Asda AND party plan kids clothes, two kids, one husband.....:rotfl: ) I thought I might start some quilting. Any suggestions on what I could make first? I don't really want to take on something too big...........mmmmnnn cushion covers maybe, I could do with some of those.

Can i also pick some brains. DO haberdashers tend to have seasonal sales like the high street does eg, Jan Sales, summer sales etc? If the do then I think I will save some pennies for after xmas!

Thanks in advance

Mambury
    sealed pot challange #572!
    Garden fund - £0!!:D
    £0/£10k
  • luckys_mum
    Options
    There are usually fabric sales during the normal high street sales, but how about looking in charity shops for even cheaper supplies. Shirts, blouses, cotton skirts, even duvet covers or pillow slips are all ideal for quilting with. I have even found bags of thread at a really good price too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure