The Sewing Room (part 2)

Options

Comments

• zebedy
    zebedy Posts: 425 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, chilli girl how did you go about adding a blackout lining to already lined curtains? I'm thinking of doing this in my bedroom as it's not drak enough. I'm not sure how to go about it though
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, stumbled over this whilst I was looking for fabric some free quilting project downloads http://www.makoweruk.com/projects/ , might be of interest to someone. On a making note, I did sew myself an eye mask for sleeping, couldn't buy 1 off the shelf as it were, as has to fit round medical equipment, it was a bit fiddly & doesn't look perfect but it is lovely & soft (used some of my dd's old tshirts for material) and it does the job better than the scarf I'd been tying around my head.
    Booo!!!
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thnaks, Violetta.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought I would resurrect this thread :D

I have recently caught the sewing bug and after going on a wonderful course I have dug my sewing machine out and I have been making loads of simple things to improve my skills. Been looking online for free patterns and I have a few different ones that I am looking forward to having a go at over the coming weeks.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    I thought I would resurrect this thread :D

I have recently caught the sewing bug and after going on a wonderful course I have dug my sewing machine out and I have been making loads of simple things to improve my skills. Been looking online for free patterns and I have a few different ones that I am looking forward to having a go at over the coming weeks.

Glad to see your post. I spend all day everyday sewing at work now, so trying to find time to do it as a hobby is practically nil.
    I know a lot of people from here moved to a page on Facebook where it was easier to post pictures etc, but I haven't visited that for a while either.
    I'm hoping to teach more in 2016. The children seem to enjoy the Saturdays and I want to get more adults into the workshops.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • LesleyE
    LesleyE Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I have spent the last couple of days clearing the little bedroom (AKA junk room!!) to create a sewing room. Having had the dining room table clear for eating over Christmas I find I quite like being able to see the table cloth and I could now sew or embroider a table runner!

The machine goes up upstairs this afternoon along with all the plastic boxes with feet, threads and the rest of the paraphernalia...let the sewing commence!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    I used to have the spare room for my sewing, as I started the business from home, but then I moved to the shop, and now the room is definitely the junk room. It needs to be cleared and I need to decide what to take to work and what to keep here. But first I need to clear out all the rooms here, and move DGD into the workroom and downsize the room she's in for any spare room/crafting options. Now I have 3 new grandsons I need an adaptable space. Luckily for me I have the shop! However I keep telling myself I still need stuff here to be creative as that's the part of sewing I enjoy, and I don't get time to at work.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi!

I've wandered over from Old Style...they seem to have a knitters thread but no sewing thread.

I dug out my sewing machine this weekend and made a quilted pot holder as my first project. I made loads of mistakes, but it does the job so I'm going to attempt it again tomorrow as I have oodles of fabric. Most of my issues came from poor cutting.

I'm wondering what might be a good first dressmaking project. Have looked at loads of patterns and fabrics and am getting my head in a spin!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Hi!

I've wandered over from Old Style...they seem to have a knitters thread but no sewing thread.

I dug out my sewing machine this weekend and made a quilted pot holder as my first project. I made loads of mistakes, but it does the job so I'm going to attempt it again tomorrow as I have oodles of fabric. Most of my issues came from poor cutting.

I'm wondering what might be a good first dressmaking project. Have looked at loads of patterns and fabrics and am getting my head in a spin!
    Dress making patterns are abundant!
    I personally like KWIK Sew. They have some basic patterns.
    In my classes I have used free patterns from magazines in the past.

The least number of pieces the easier. Or a simple A line dress.
    Front, two back pieces, sleeves optional, and a centre back zip.
    They usually have bust darts, and facings, or can be fully lined.
  • PixieDust
    PixieDust Posts: 944 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have begun my foray into clothesmaking with the Walkaway dress. It's taking me a LOT longer than the four hours estimated but it's coming along nicely, and made up of only four fabric pieces. If you choose to have a go at it there is a wonderful YouTube video by Debbie Shore thst I used to help . It's a Butterick pattern, I can't remember the number but it's v famous, you will find it easily. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure