Trying to beat this thing called debt..

Options

Comments

• Kittychick
    Options
    New week.. New start, but not a no spending one.. Heading over to my daughters, husband still snoring away, if I wake him he'll insist on taking me, but then it's the 3 of us plus grandson, as grandsons only just turned one it's kind of a girly day on our own. Means I have to pay busfare-but I've just 'found' £6 in the dirty washing... Aka his jeans, I'll borrow it because we are struggling for cash machines between home and bus stop... Will transfer it back to him later if he wants it back, either way is fine.
    Transferred £6 from day-to-day account to savings account this morning, thought I had £6 left but looks like it was only 5.50 but that's fine, account still in credit. As I said before I'm sure there's an outstanding phone payment so when it goes through I'll put it back across.
    Just need to feed the girls- no eggs yday, attack my hair and then I'm off.. Aiming for a low spend...:T
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Enjoy your day!
  • Kittychick
    Kittychick Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you louby40 x
    Well, that didn't end up happening so I'm still home-given husband his £6 back except its still on the table... Think that's heading for my pocket in a min because we will need it, going out in about an hour, visiting an auction and I have my eye on a few things... Problem is the thing I really want is the last of all the items I'm even vaguely interested in.. Always goes that way, so potentially if I hang on and wait for that it could go for way over my budget and we've driven an hour or so for nothing... There's another lot that has eBay potential to possibly do a little better than break even... And there's a couple of really nice (on the online catalogue anyway) old mirrors.... Again if they go cheap (single figures) I'm tempted.. They'll fit in our victorian terrace very well....
    I'll be back and let you know...:beer:
  • Kittychick
    Options
    Just lost a huge post!!! Long story short, we bought nothing.. But stuff we were looking at either wasn't great when we saw it or just went too high-its possible we could have got somethings on the next bid but once you have got to your maximum bid you have to be careful because there's also vat and auction house fees on top. So at least we're not waking up with buyers guilt this morning.
    In other news... We did a cheeky balance transfer on husbands cc just over a week ago, balance used to be on Sains but we transferred to Barcs but stupidly missed activating the card in time to get the 0% interest so we're v little better off... We didn't close Sains account and a couple of weeks ago got post from Sainsbury's offering 0% interest and free transfers..we tried it expecting them to tell us to !!!!!! off but when we looked at accounts online on Saturday we saw the bc had now been paid off.. But we hadn't stopped the bc direct debit so a payment has been made and we're now £30 in credit so that's the shopping budget for this week.. Will be plenty as we have a full freezer...
    So pretty much an 'at home' day today... Popping into town at some point to call in library and also to go to b&m for cat food. Then while husband is working upstairs I'll be trying to finish off a couple of wooly projects either for etsy or a craft fair.. Failing that there will be some very interesting Christmas presents this year! :beer:
  • Kittychick
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, ended up spending just about £10 yesterday, catfood, library fees and a mini-splurge at charity shop on 3 tops for £7..two were linen M&S ones so I think it's safe to say they were a good price (and really good condition)
    Going to big city today, my daughter and grandson coming too.. I need to get some bits for holiday-for cat sitter and then we'll do Costco on way home for cat litter and baked beans.. Weird combination!
    Finally started to get some surveys still only in pennies but decision made that each time I get to even small cash out I will.. I'll prob use to put on cc to pay off quicker- it will be my focus after holiday. It's sitting at around £299 so not a real worry but I want it gone.
    Taking lunch with me today, but will be buying coffee and cake I reckon...
    Back later to report...
  • Kittychick
    Options
    Thursday already....on voluntary duty at 1.30 so I'm aiming for my 4th NSD... And by doing that I am really depriving myself...it will mean tomorrow's breakfast is a cherry yogurt.... My least liked of all the berries in the activita berry range... Usually have to put on one-side for the husband.... But in the search for NSD's it has to be done...
    As predicted yesterday was a bit spendy, nothing silly but stuff like particular cat food for while we're away... Litter liners for extra trays cos they will be 100% inside for 5 days do I'm putting extra trays out so the cat feeder doesn't have to do that-she doesn't have cats and I can't put THAT job on her.. Also got some plastic plates so she can just throw them out rather than messing with the normal ones...
    Did a round-down and put 20p in savings, (£8.33 now) I think I'm going to do a round down to nearest 50p on a weds and Saturday, then on Sunday night I'm going to put the balance of my account onto my cc but this bit will start after holiday, so not this weeend but next
    Think I'll try and get some washing on in a min, looks good for drying.. And start the pre-hol tidy.....
    Need to get my bag of stuff properly ready to take to voluntary job, last couple of times the husband has had to drive stuff down I'd forgotten and I really need to be better organised for when he's back at work!
    Email from guy who's doing the handover at holiday apartment, he's happy for us to be there at 11, strictly speaking it's 2pm but we've been going so long we just get there as soon as we can, usually land about 9. 30 and by time we get transfer over we can be at the apartment before 11...often they're still cleaning from previous guests and we just drop off luggage and head out for a coffee and something to eat before heading back to crash out.. Seriously cannot wait, it's my/our favourite place and I know for some people going back to same place is no fun, but for me I love that I know where we like, and we have favourite places that are known alongside finding new favourites.... We've got a couple of new places to explore this year already, and some old favourites, and new ones from last year... Whittering now..
    Right, off to grab some washing.. Laters...
  • Kittychick
    First Anniversary
    Options
    So... determined to carry on, but feeling abit poo....
    O2 finally went out so I've transferred the £6 I had in excess last Sunday back into regular account as part payment. That means my savings are back down to £2.33 which is fairly rubbish to be truthful but it's £2.33 more than I've had in savings for quite a while... I've seen a cd I want to get for part of husbands Xmas present, it's around £14 so as soon as I'm anywhere near I'll get it ordered.
    I've got just over £5 that I can claim from Op Outpost (I think)... I've never used PayPal to get money, only to pay it out so I'm going to look at sorting that after hols and hopefully it will be even more... I've also done a couple more surveys today on a different site but can't remember which (!!) but am still about £6 away from claiming..
    My credit card is 299, minimum payment is 9.90 so I'm aiming for about double that-survey cash outs are going to this and I'm paying at least minimum from normal account... Hoping to have balance under 230 by Christmas..
    So, in conclusion, after holiday the rounding downs on Wednesdays and Sundays goes into saving account, excess goes to pay cc....
    Heres hoping..:A
  • Kittychick
    Options
    Right, it's Sunday...
    I've got today and 2 more days til we go away.. Washing's done, some tidying done, upstairs to do...
    Tomorrow I'll be cleaning out chicken run and house but first I'll need to buy bedding for them, around £10..also need a bag of food for them, again around £10....i can get a 5kg bag from pets@home for £5.50 or I can get a 25kg bag from local feed shop for just under £10, no contest really but it's a chunk especially as only 1 of the girls is regularly laying at the minute... No idea what's going on.. But it's possible they've just come to the end of their laying time... Never had that this early before.. Giving lots of supplements and one has started to occasionally lay again but her eggs although big are quite thin shelled.. Also caught one stamping on an egg and eating it and once they start that it's not easy to stop them... Does kind of feel like they're a bit of a luxury at the minute but to be honest I'm not happy buying eggs even those said to be free range, I've rehomed girls from that type of a setting before, and there wasn't much difference in condition to those from intensively farmed girls(what used to be called battery farmed).. So it feels like a luxury that is justifiable for us.. And goes with veggie life, we are lucky to be able to do this as I had an inheritance that paid for my walk-in run and chicken house so it really is just day to day expenses for us to keep them going..
    In similar way we are haemorrhaging money on cat food for our old boy at the minute.. He's an expense that won't be compromised.. We are happy to buy yellow stickers foods and budget with our foods but he needs what he needs...
    Anyway, off to get dressed and prepare myself for being granny... Back later
  • Kittychick
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sunday evening, had a nice afternoon with daughter and grandson.. K dyed my hair, very budget friendly as it was a box I've had in the bathroom cupboard for ages- was a £1 off voucher in the instructions too, was planning what colour to go for next time then I spotted it ran out in 2016!
    Ive declared today a NSD so that's my target of 6 reached before holiday next week, tomorrow's going to be quite spendy and probably Tues too getting animal stuff in for chickens now cats are sorted...
    Ive just done my Sunday rounding down on my current account and there's 2 pending payments to go through-only one showing up but I know there's another that's just not showing and I want to make sure I allow for this rather than wiping out the account and then having to take Saturdays payment from next week's money.... So with that in mind I am fairly sure there's just over £3 to play with-living in the world of high finance here!! I had thought I might use any left overs from this and next week's money for euros but I've decided not to.. We have spending money and it will have to do. So, the mega balance of £3 has been split with £1.50 going in savings and same going on cc.
    Carrying on with cc, I have £7.50 on Opinion Outpost-that's in a week... So when I get back I'm going to link my PayPal and draw that out and pay it to the cc... I think my minimum payment is around £9.90 now so 7.50 +1.50 will nearly double the payment made this month-I want to continue to pay the minimum each month by dd and then transfer any survey money with the aim of doubling my minimum payment each month...
    To be honest, as I'm on such a tight budget it would be lovely to say that any survey money was mine to treat myself, but the quicker I pay this cc off the quicker I CAN say that....
    Does this sound like the right thing to do....?
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great making extra payments kitty! :j Keep going if you can... if it starts to get you down maybe you could treat yourself with every other extra payment or use half the extra payment for a tinyear treat... I suppose different things work for us all... I've found if things are really restricted I can sometimes blow things a bit so I try to allow a tiny treat (eg scented candle ) before that happens....;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure