The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No drinking planned today.

8 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HB if I get a broom it would be a privilege to share with you. But some time to go yet and some challenges.

Thanks PSL!

12/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • takingonedayatatime
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

A busy day for me here and I'm just off to bed.. 12/31 please Shaggy

Night Night!
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    10/15 for me please. Not quite sure what makes the difference in having a successful week or a s*d it week. I’m away again in hotels etc which is always more difficult, had a very challenging week and then a bit of a disappointment last night when a meal out with colleagues was cancelled but still managed to stay on the straight and narrow. Still happy to be achieving AFDs and long may this minuscule amount of will power continue!
  • Green_Karen
    Options
    12/20 AF days as of last night.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 9/21 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    Up to 7/14 for me now following AFDs on Weds and Thurs. going away for work next week so that will be a challenge to stay AF
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maggiem wrote: »
    Still happy to be achieving AFDs and long may this minuscule amount of will power continue!

Sounds like more than a minimal amount to me Maggie! :)

There are many things that can get to us when staying AF in 'public'. There's the initial hurdle of having to announce AFness to the group, then the temptation constantly there to join in with everyone else who seem to be having a great time. It's not easy but you're proving it can be done.:T

You've made an excellent start to the month too greenkaren. Good luck on your travels next week.:)
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Afternoon All

9/25 for me

Thanks

El
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maggiem wrote: »
    Not quite sure what makes the difference in having a successful week or a s*d it week. I’m away again in hotels etc which is always more difficult, had a very challenging week and then a bit of a disappointment last night when a meal out with colleagues was cancelled but still managed to stay on the straight and narrow. Still happy to be achieving AFDs and long may this minuscule amount of will power continue!

Brilliantly well done that you stayed on the straight and narrow, Maggie M. I think what makes the difference is being happy and relaxed, or stressed in any way - tired, overworked, emotional overload, worried, in other words all of the bad things.

Thinking back to my drinking days, I could always, always think of a 'good' reason to indulge my temptations and any of the above reasons would seem to be a good reason for me back then. After one, I was always then graduated to s*d it mode and felt justified in having as many as I wanted.

I don't seem to have the same level of intensity of emotional ups and downs now that I don't drink. Outside influences on my life haven't changed that much so I think that I function better, emotionally, without the interference and complication of booze. I'm incredibly relieved by not getting depressed during the early evening after a night on the lash the previous day, I don't feel guilty about being rude when pickled (although inadvertently even sober I apparently can be - whoops, no excuse for that), and don't lose my temper so easily.

So, not having to live with all of the effects of booze, I get far fewer s*d it days, and when I do, I just have chocolate. I've got a few pounds to lose, but I can't be bothered to stress about that.

I genuinely would have loved to be able to moderate, but I know from years of trying I just can't. I now think, for me, not drinking at all as a way of life is easier, which it certainly didn't appear to be before I took the decision to give it up.

13/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family