PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours ball damaging fence.

Options

Comments

• SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    Right, this is still going on and Im fuming. Another ball has come over and its damaged plants. Right now, he says one thing to me and I might get a bit angry.

Thinking of writing a letter to keep it polite and to the point, followed by another letter saying 'if it continues, I'll be forced to take legal action.'

Right now if I speak with him a lot of anger is going to come up, which could be detrimental, I'm not always around to look at my mums property.

Any advice appreciated.

When they come over, can you/your mum just ignore them until they ask for them back? If they go some time without being able to play then they may just get bored of waiting/fed up of buying new balls.
  • Riggyman
    Riggyman Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I assume the ball will have mysteriously burst before it is returned?
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 2:06AM
    Options
    SuboJvR wrote: »
    When they come over, can you/your mum just ignore them until they ask for them back? If they go some time without being able to play then they may just get bored of waiting/fed up of buying new balls.

They put 2 balls in my mums garden tonight, 2 balls a few days back. They usually average 4 balls per week, sometimes more. Thats about £50 worth.

My mums in her 70's and cant throw them over a 6 foot fence, so they are sitting in her garden tucked away.

Went down the local police station tonight, and asked to speak with a PSCO. Explained the situation, the receptionist was helpful and said that as its a safety issue they'll have to look into it, the likely outcome being they'll go round and have a chat with him to stop.

It would be very easy in this situation for me to have a go at him, but right now the law is in my favor. If I loose my cool that might not be the case so much. Very important to remember that in these situations.

A walls definitely going up ASAP though. Big tree also.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP this would annoy me also.
    Just a warning. Doing nothing could be a suggestion. Sounds odd but things like this can escalate. Putting up a tree or a wall, you might find the tree dieing or wall being damaged. It depends on the type of people your neighbours are.
    Years ago I tried to block out my neighbours through conifers. They all started to die one year all of a sudden. This wound me up even more as I'm sure the neighbours had a hand in it.

If it was my mum on her own I would be concerned about this possibly escalating by involving police etc.

kids will kick balls over neighbours fences, I had them in my old house all the time, one day even a cricket bat which just shows what can be thrown over!

Good luck my advice is be weary about going too far and making things more difficult with your mum. A feud with a neighbour is horrible, I speak from experience.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 6:41AM
    Options
    The conifers might have "died" (possibly killed?) because they are conifers. Leylandii, for instance, grow at the rate of 3' a year. Pretty much any neighbour is going to panic at the thought of that happening to them and the trees might mysteriously die and it wouldnt be "revenge" on the neighbour per se. It would be "preventing a problem" (ie being overshadowed/having roots growing near one's property/etc).

A wall is just a wall and the worst it can be is one of those concrete block things - rather than a "proper" wall. So the biggest problem a wall can create is it might be an eyesore one - in which case the neighbour paints it/puts something in front of it to disguise it/tries to mentally block it out and not "see it". "Revenge" isnt taken for a wall - even an eyesore concrete block one.

Moral of the story = put up a wall (preferably one they won't regard as eyesore and then you wonder what they would do to disguise the look of it). I can't see anyone doing anything about a normal (ie brick) wall - as long as you've carefully checked it's in the correct place.
  • Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe it would be an idea to construct a pergola where she likes to sit and put netting over the top to protect her.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Take down the fence. Put up "chicken wire". On your side affix a trellis with artificial ivy on it, you can get these "quite cheaply".

That'd stop the fence being ruined.... then it's just the ball over the fence.
    You can investigate some netting that's intended for the people WITH the balls to prevent their balls annoying people so much ...
  • vic_sf49
    vic_sf49 Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you temporarily lifted the fence panels out (assuming they're fitted into concrete posts), would it force the footballers to site their goal against a different boundary?

Would they shoot towards their property perhaps?

I hope you manage to get it sorted OP.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Mickygg wrote: »
    OP this would annoy me also.
    Just a warning. Doing nothing could be a suggestion. Sounds odd but things like this can escalate. Putting up a tree or a wall, you might find the tree dieing or wall being damaged. It depends on the type of people your neighbours are.
    Years ago I tried to block out my neighbours through conifers. They all started to die one year all of a sudden. This wound me up even more as I'm sure the neighbours had a hand in it.

If it was my mum on her own I would be concerned about this possibly escalating by involving police etc.

kids will kick balls over neighbours fences, I had them in my old house all the time, one day even a cricket bat which just shows what can be thrown over!

Good luck my advice is be weary about going too far and making things more difficult with your mum. A feud with a neighbour is horrible, I speak from experience.

From life long experience I can tell you that not standing up against bullies is a guarantee that it'll get worse.

My mum should be able to hang out her clothes without fear of getting hit in the face with a ball. At her age, that could cause her to fall over and get seriously injured. They've hit her in the leg already which caused her to scream, and they continued.

Everyone has the right to go into their garden and not have the fence pounded in a loud and aggressive manner.

Action has to be taken, and I'm really restraining myself to not go over and have a word, because my words are going to be very direct.

Could be far better for a police officer to go over there and have a chat. I'll also be calling the council, who must probably will be useless but always worth a try.
  • Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Options
    Chainwire fence instead of a solid fence then plants or hedge close on your side. as ther plants grow let them engulf the fence. This way it makes it no longer a viable surface to kick balls against.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure