Thoughts on Bounts (Get paid for walking)

Options

Comments

• Essenchill
    Essenchill Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm still getting on very well with this app, but will continue to put this down to beginners luck from the comments of others! I'm unsure of the screw ups with Premium which MikeWhite is getting - apart from logging out and back in again a few times to sync points I haven't found any issues, certainly no difficulties. On iPhone the Health app and Runkeeper currently both continue to sync problem-free. I check the "shop" most days to see what is available and I must be seeing a different view to some other users as every day there are plenty available. Yes, Amazon has increased in "price" because it appears to be the most sought reward, but all the vouchers except Morrisons appear to come and go and get restocked regularly. I find the Reward wheel to give few rewards & usually 5 points here and there, however today, with 23 spins of the wheel I got 5 x 5 point rewards and, unbelievably also a 1000 point bonus! I've been using the app since the end of July and this is the first (and probably the last given the amount!) big reward I have had on the wheel. I guess it shows not to give up hope, there are rewards there - few and far between perhaps but that's a very nice boost to my points! Hope others are also having some success with Bounts. I'm just unsure how to remain encouraged to walk when it comes to the winter setting in! Suggestions and advice most welcome!!
  • morty909
    Options
    I really loved the idea of Bounts and it motivated me to do lots of exercise (or more than usual). After having become a Premium member and collected a few thousand points I decided to try and spend them. This is proving extremely difficult! I have been on the website and looked on my phone at least two or three times a day and the rewards are always out of stock (well, the ones I want are - Next, M&S, Argos, Amazon, John Lewis) I have contacted Bounts and they say they are constantly updating them but I doubt this is true. In fact, today at midday 13 out of the 17 department store rewards were out of stock, and this is the usual story.
    I really want this App to succeed but I don't think I shall stay with it to be honest.
    Shame.:mad:
  • max_beerbohm
    Options
    It makes you wonder how long Bounts will keep going. With nearly every voucher out of stock perhaps they have cash flow problems. Having a large variety of vouchers and sending out physical £5 vouchers by first class post also isn't very efficient.

I remember a previous scheme from a year or two ago where you could earn vouchers for watching adverts online. They simply gave everyone a blank Love To Shop card to keep and credited it every time you had earned £5. No postage costs, no stock of cards to keep. The Love To Shop cards are accepted in a wide variety of high street shops and everyone was happy. Even that scheme folded eventually but it while it worked it was much simpler than the Bounts model.
  • montereyjack
    Options
    Well I gave it another go and managed to get another £5. Everything seemed to be out of stock but got a Sainsburys voucher. It now states 30 days for delivery.

As said above I cannot understand the business model. Quidco and other companies have codes which are emailed. I think Bounts have tried to cater for too many interests - shops on the high street and internet retailers. Charging more for popular shops is just going to annoy people.

Managed now to get my £15 back (assuming this voucher is delivered). It drains my battery and check-ins are not always reliable. Even if I was worked it to get the maximum amount of return, would it be worth all the hassle - drained batteries, poor voucher choice, no voucher choice - probably not.
  • max_beerbohm
    Options
    As said above I cannot understand the business model. Quidco and other companies have codes which are emailed. I think Bounts have tried to cater for too many interests - shops on the high street and internet retailers. Charging more for popular shops is just going to annoy people.

And now they have an option added today which will let you spend points just for a CHANCE to get an Amazon voucher!

There are multiple complaints on their Twitter support account about lack of vouchers. Their stock response is that the shop is restocked every morning and afternoon. There can only be very few vouchers added though as they disappear immediately.

I spotted a Starbucks voucher and although I don't particularly like Starbucks it was better than nothing. By the time I had checked to see if there was anything else available the Starbucks vouchers had gone! That was at 8.15am and they claim to stock the shop at 8 every day.

Having loads of different vouchers lets them disguise the fact that they are restricting peoples ability to get the rewards they have earned by just claiming some are 'out of stock'. If they just setlled for one voucher, like Love To Shop which covers multiple retailers, they wouldn't be able to hide what is a slighty unethical business model which relies on not paying out promptly.

People in business expect to wait 30 days for invoices to be paid, which is the same as the 30 days delivery wait for a Bounts voucher once ordered. But Bounts seem to be saying you can only submit your 'invoice' if you do it during a very short period in tbe morning when they deign to accept a handful of orders before they put up the 'out of stock' signs again for the day.
  • *katie*
    *katie* Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all, is anyone else having issues with Bounts syncing with Moves? I've just got a new phone and it's not working ):

Also does anyone know how to stop it repeatedly asking me to sync with Google Fit? It does this everytime I open the app
  • satori
    satori Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been using Bounts since February. I have spent a little over £50 so far on an Up Move step tracker (Jawbone), a premium membership for 3 years, and two C2032 batteries. Once I had enough points, I had to wait for about 1 month to order a £5 voucher as the only vouchers I was interested in (Sainsburys and Amazon) were sold out. Still waiting for delivery. Like other people, I am a little annoyed with the Reward Wheel: it usually takes me 5 to 10 spins to get a reward, usually 5 points. Definitely not 1 in 3 chances! I have installed the app on my phone but have been unable to check in at the gym so far. I do not have a car and walk everywhere. However I find that if I spend less than 10 minutes walking non stop, my Up Move does not record it. For example, I may be spending 2 hours on a supermarket trip, which should be recorded as 12000 steps (100 steps per minute) but I will only get 8000 because I did not walk continuously. So despite spending at least 1 hour and a half walking each day, I do not always get 7000 steps! Definitely not a Get Rich plan. I like the concept though.
  • max_beerbohm
    max_beerbohm Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2016 at 9:47PM
    Options
    satori wrote: »
    For example, I may be spending 2 hours on a supermarket trip, which should be recorded as 12000 steps (100 steps per minute) but I will only get 8000 because I did not walk continuously. So despite spending at least 1 hour and a half walking each day, I do not always get 7000 steps! Definitely not a Get Rich plan. I like the concept though.

You are doing well if you can push a supermarket trolley round at 100 steps a minute and still get things off the shelves! My shopping trips consist of a lot of standing still while looking for things or waiting in a queue at the checkout.

The app is recording actual steps, not the time you are out of the house, so if you if you stop walking you won't be registering 100 steps a minute for that time. If you reckon you should be getting 12000 steps for 120 minutes are you walking non stop for all that time?

I have found the UP app records steps accurately, even short bursts of walking. I usually manage at least 500 steps pottering around at home before leaving for work in the morning.

Too late now but you might have done better with a Misfit Tracker. To get the required 500 Misfit points to earn 20 Bounts points you only need to do 5000 steps (or less) rather than the 7000 steps you need with. Jawbone UP.
  • therivierakid
    Options
    Does anyone know how to connect bounts to Google Fit (or the other way around)? I have both of the apps installed on my Android phone but how do I get them to communicate with each other?

I've tried using Moves the last few weeks and it is very hit and miss! Hence the switch to Google Fit for tracking steps.
    *removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
  • camaj
    camaj Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just noticed the MSE post was updated on the first to acknowledge the problems but I'm very sceptical at the moment and I'd urge everyone to avoid giving them money or at the very least go for the pay monthly option. If this isn't sorted in a month or two I'm cancelling.

Sadly I'm without a fitbit right now, annoyingly I was thinking of getting a Garmin GPS unit so I didn't have to take my phone out to track my runs but there's little point if I'm going to cancel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure