Becoming a taxi driver to pay off all my debts and avoid bankruptcy, my diary

Options

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Just one thing when you start to taxi- keep approx one third of income in a seperate account to account for tax and car expenses. Don't be tempted to spend this on your immediate bills or HMRC will have you by the balls.
  • Persolv0
    Persolv0 Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ITBS
    Just offering some support as i read your first post and recall thinking that although the business through unfortunate circumstance had gone belly up you came across as a very focused individual which is showing through here ....best of luck with the taxi business.

I know beggar all about private cabs but it may be worth getting some feedback fronm the other guys on the course on whether to go for diesel or petrol as VW / Audi / Skoda engines are bullet proof but i know around my way the private cabs prefer the diesel lumps.

Its kind of put an idea in my head that the private cabs could be a way to go for me as im reflecting on a career change so ill be keeping an eye on your thread for any tips or pitfalls to watch out for

cheers and best of luck again.

Ps just a thought ....would a Skoda hold a wheelchair in the boot ??just wondering if the hospital runs are worth looking into via the local council contracts:confused:
  • Persolv0
    Persolv0 Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    F inal thought before bed

Just the point you mention on going second hand.....personally i would nt touch e bay(Only because its going to be integral to your earnings and there is a few lemons put on e bay) ..... but Skodas freefall in depreciation yet they are built on the Audi A4 and VW Passat technology so a 3 year old full service history Octavia could be the way to go as they are a quality car that just happens to lack the VW or Audi badge on the front

A three year old will go a long way to minimising start up costs but on balance the cars going to be your bread and butter so i guess its you first major decision in your new business:D
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi Having worked for the Inland revenue many years ago I would agree with the post re setting aside income to pay the tax bill. If you put it in an ISA you wont pay tax on the interest.
    Another tip I would give you is set aside a regular time to do your books, one self employed person I met used to put all his business stuff in a box and go through it every tues night. Some weeks there was a lot to do, other weeks nothing but they knew their books were always up to date.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • JPS29
    JPS29 Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    Morning All,

Susie and Persolvo thanks very much for your kind words.

Funny isn't it Persolvo I had never thought about this field of work ever before because i didn't think it would be that profitable but after reading other diaries on here (thank you busytodaymate and taxi 73) i know that there is very good money to make here, as long as you put the hours in.

Re the tax you mentioned. I will definitely be putting money away. What i was thinking was that if I do buy a second hand car, which i am warming to more and more, then i will put the money I was going to pay for a skoda superb (£225) each month in to a separate account towards my tax. I had accounted for this money anyway so shouldn't miss it.

Also re the paperwork I used to do this when i was Self Employed before. I had one of the A4 plastic zipped wallets i kept in my glove box and used to put every single receipt in here and then transfer them to my books/diary/pc once a week.

Even though I could probably do my own books I will still be using an accountant as i have a brilliant one, and, if I am right in thinking this is a business expense anyway so therefore tax deductible:p
    Obviously the neater my books are the less the fee will be.

Plans for today.

Go to office do one more load this morning
    Do first day of taxi course
    post out the stuff that sold on ebay yesterday (once i verify i have had payment)
    Come home, have tea and finally finish off emptying office!

I will update everyone later with how the course went.
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a quick one from me. Hope your course goes well for you today x x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • John51
    John51 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I was a private hire driver for about 12 years in Liverpool, also did an earlier stint in Preston. Earnings can vary a great deal area to area.

In Preston I had to put my daily earnings into a jar and empty the jar once a week as the earnings were so low. That company took 50% commission plus 5% for oil (their car). I don't think I've ever met meaner people. A lot of time was spent in the office waiting for work and they objected to me bringing in a thermos as there was a coffee vending machine there.

After my divorce I took it up again in Liverpool, ideal job for a Saturday parent with kids 70 miles away. Earnings increased by a factor of 4 or more. It's all settle cars here for private hire, rent the car and radio every week and what you take is yours. Owner drivers just rent the radio.

I've talked to a lot of private hire drivers in various parts of the country. With the exception of London I'd be dubious about doing private hire where there are no settle cars but only commission (usually 50% with company cars), it often means not much work there.

Taxi work will expose and amplify every weakness you have. The dishonest cheat their work colleagues by lying about where they are (long bonneting) but that's more difficult with a computerised system. The undisciplined ones like me sometimes took too much time off and next thing it's 18+ hour shifts to pay the settle. Happened often after a brill weekend with the kids. If you have a problem with betting shops don't even bother trying taxi work until that is sorted. Spending on mars bars/pies/cola can spiral if not careful.

For the motor, Fords can't be beat when it comes to miles per quid. The companies here buy 4 year old reps cars from auctions and run them till they're too old to plate (9 years here). Half a million miles is water off a ducks back for those Fords. The only other car I'd consider would be a Merc. I have met owner drivers who started with Skodas/Ladas and even a 4 door Fiesta but within a year or 2 they'd upgraded. You're going to be spending more time in the car than you spend in bed, keep that in mind when buying.

It might be safer not to be an owner driver at first, use the firms cars until you suss out the game. Be aware that your first few months might well be grim.

Check carefully the rules and regs for cars. I've heard of a car not getting a plate because that council stipulated a certain colour and the respray was not quite to specs. Skint owner, no plate, bummer.

If the firm has lots of company cars, you are more likely to keep working if your car is off the road for a time.

I do miss the job sometimes but old injuries flare up after an hour or two of driving.
  • Got2change
    Got2change Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with everything today ITBS
    icon7.gif
    Blonde: Unemployed: Bankrupt.
    What do I know?
    :confused:
  • Jillica
    Jillica Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Another bit of good advice when you start taxi-ing, be nice to the desk operator!
    The nicer you are to the person who dispatches the jobs, the better they will be!
    Cheers
    Jillica x
  • JPS29
    JPS29 Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Just back in from the course now...

Good news, turns out i misunderstood it. Its not a 2 day a week course for 5 weeks. Its 5 days in total, 2 the first week, 1st test at end, 2 the second week, 2nd test at end. The 5th lesson is "skills for life". Numeracy and english. The only people who HAVE to take this course are those who are having the course subsidised and getting it for a tenner. As im paying full whack I can, and will, miss this. So only 3 more lessons to go:j

I'm gonna call in the licensing now I know the score and put my CRB check in. Then get the stuff posted i sold on Ebay and finish emptying the office.

John51, thanks for your post. Im actually not too far from Liverpool, St Helens.
    I plan to own the car as I dont want to be giving up ANY of my earnings if I dont have to. At least that way I get a say in the car I use too.

I will prob take your advice re a reps car, or see if I can get a decent one privately.

Eye a bit better too;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport