Main causes of obesity

Options

Comments

• Money_maker
    Options
    I think .Gigolo Aunt is not trying to make anyone feel bad, just being realistic. It's quite common to blame excess weight on heavy bones and muscles. I've only ever met one person who is a fitness instructor that I would call heavy due to muscle.

If you feel good then that's what matters. If your body is telling you that its struggling then help it out.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2016 at 5:41PM
    Options
    How narrowminded.

Overweight by whose standards??? The diet industry??? The BMI person whose chart was never intended to be used as an indicator of health.

Devilsadvocate could be pure muscle. I was pretty muscular when I swam. So I may have been 'heavy', as you put it, but I wasn't fat. In addition, the only reason a lot of my clothes were a size 12 was because of my big (bony) hips and my big boobs.

Stop trying to make people feel bad.

It's perfectly possible to be overweight but active, just as it is possible to be slim and unfit.

It's not unreasonable to say that a woman of 5'2" who wears a size 16 in clothes and weighes 13 stones is carrying too much weight around her internal organs for the good of her health.

BMI on its own is not always a great measure of whether someone is overweight, and rugby players are a good example of where it doesn't always work. But combined with hip/waist ratio, and an eyeballing of how a person looks, it is generally quite a good guide, which is why it is still used so extensively.

To be honest the circumstances where someone has a BMI of over 30 but is not clinically overweight will be the exception rather than the rule, however much we all like to cling on to the excuse it is a poor guide once our own tips over 25 :o

From my own perspective I tend to look slimmer than my actual weight, but if my BMI is over 25, I do notice knock on effects on my health (and fertility when I was younger). So although aesthetically I didn't necessarily look particularly fat with a BMI around 26 or 27, my health was not as good as when it is a more reasonable 23/24.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 September 2016 at 6:07PM
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    It's perfectly possible to be overweight but active, just as it is possible to be slim and unfit.

It's not unreasonable to say that a woman of 5'2" who wears a size 16 in clothes and weighes 13 stones is carrying too much weight around her internal organs for the good of her health.

BMI on its own is not always a great measure of whether someone is overweight, and rugby players are a good example of where it doesn't always work. But combined with hip/waist ratio, and an eyeballing of how a person looks, it is generally quite a good guide, which is why it is still used so extensively.

To be honest the circumstances where someone has a BMI of over 30 but is not clinically overweight will be the exception rather than the rule, however much we all like to cling on to the excuse it is a poor guide once our own tips over 25 :o

From my own perspective I tend to look slimmer than my actual weight, but if my BMI is over 25, I do notice knock on effects on my health (and fertility when I was younger). So although aesthetically I didn't necessarily look particularly fat with a BMI around 26 or 27, my health was not as good as when it is a more reasonable 23/24.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but .ga questioned devils, with a :eek: - and a "something doesn't add up about your description of yourself and what you do"...I appreciate there are some trolls out there (OP, for example), but I don't see why devils would post such a thing, if it wasn't true. It's not like it was an inflammatory post, like most trolls do. Devils may actually enjoy and be happy at her size, and why not?

As someone who has been at both ends of the spectrum weight wise, I have already put my neck on the line by saying I don't agree with the calories in/out equation - from a physics point of view, I conceded it may make sense - but not from an actual real life point of view. I shall also go as far as saying that I don't actually believe weight loss is the panacea it is made out to be. So many people are 'fat shamed' into feeling like they have to lose weight, by doctors etc, but the fact is, there is no 'cure' for obesity...if calorie counting, weight watchers, slimming world, cambridge etc etc REALLY worked, the obesity epidemic would have been wiped out years ago.

I am currently following an 'Intuitive Eating' approach. Listening to when my body tells me I am physically hungry and stopping when it is satiated, not uncomfortable. This is the ONLY way left for me, because I have 'dieted' so many times. I have done them all. I have spent hours feeling ravenous and lightheaded, but not being able to do anything because I have no points or syns left. Is that honestly healthy??

I AM obese, with a large BMI for those who are counting. I have had those body fat tests done privately and there is no sign of fatty liver disease, although I appreciate that may just be a matter of time. I have spent most of my adult life feeling like my body needed to be something it isn't..and where has that got me?? Fatter than ever, with a history of borderline anorexia and binge eating disorder. And an ill body to boot, which hasn't helped.

I REALLY wish focus would be taken off 'recommending' or 'advising' people lose weight, because all it does is breed feelings of failure, and not being good enough, instead of actually providing a solution.

And before anyone says 'you just need to do this, this and this', it really ISN'T that simple...if it was, there would be no need at all for any posts like this. Maybe the people who are 'failing' at losing weight aren't actually failing at all, maybe it is the weight loss regime or diet that is failing them.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    Options
    And before anyone says 'you just need to do this, this and this', it really ISN'T that simple...if it was, there would be no need at all for any posts like this. Maybe the people who are 'failing' at losing weight aren't actually failing at all, maybe it is the weight loss regime or diet that is failing them.

Wow - if I could thank your post more than once I would.

This is exactly what I was meaning. If it was as simple as move more, eat less then I would be loads thinner than my husband.

I think *some* thin people feel superior in some way and like to tell obese people what to do and where they are going wrong. I think it makes them feel better about themselves. Criticize the obese person for not moving, and then when they do move laugh at them.

One of my best friends is like this (she is lovely in all other ways) She assumes that I only eat fast food, but nothing could be further from the truth. According to her I eat the wrong things at the wrong times and do the wrong sort of exercise. But if criticizing me makes her feel better about herself then I can take it.

I do feel comfortable in my own body. If people want to laugh at me for figure skating then fine. At least I get up there and have a go, how many people can say that? - And I'm pretty good according to most people who've seen me (may as well blow my own trumpet to drown out the laughter!!!!).

As for the health benefits of being thin - I again think its more complicated than than. Just because you are thin does not mean you are healthy and won't get ill.

My husband has had cellulitus 5 times. Apparently its more common in obese people. I know 2 other people who have had this and both are underweight, the same as my husband. Gallstones is another. Three of my friends had their gall bladders removed in their early 30s. All 3 of them have had problems with anorexia - yet they say this condition is more likely if you're obese.

And then there is my mum and gran - both size 18 for pretty much their whole life (similar in size and shape to me!) My gran was 85 when she died and had just 1 week of illness. Mum is 86.

I don't even try to lose weight anymore. I did the whole not eating then binging thing for most of my twenties. I did keep the weight down, but I feel fitter and have way more energy than I did then.

Everyone needs to accept themselves and feel comfortable in their own skin. Life is too short to spend it feeling like a failure.
  • fireblade28
    Options
    So many people are 'fat shamed' into feeling like they have to lose weight, by doctors etc, but the fact is, there is no 'cure' for obesity...if calorie counting, weight watchers, slimming world, cambridge etc etc REALLY worked, the obesity epidemic would have been wiped out years ago.

But we do 100% know how to fix the problem. Its that most people just don't have the discipline to execute it. Its quite tricky and requires organisation and planning and the rest.
    I REALLY wish focus would be taken off 'recommending' or 'advising' people lose weight, because all it does is breed feelings of failure, and not being good enough, instead of actually providing a solution.

Thing is being overweight is the cause of a lot of health problems. Does it mean that because one person is overweight they will be unwell? No. What it does mean is that for the majority being overweight is a problem that increases the probability of getting certain diseases. When you take a large group of people it seems wise to reduce it.

I think the problem is the way in which it is done maybe and not the fact that it is done.
    And before anyone says 'you just need to do this, this and this', it really ISN'T that simple

I can't just read this and not point out for the majority of people there is a very straightforward way that is backed by over 100 years of scientific reseach on metabolism. We have know for a long time how to manipulate weight and it is simple. The hard part is the execution!

I think *some* thin people feel superior in some way and like to tell obese people what to do and where they are going wrong. I think it makes them feel better about themselves. Criticize the obese person for not moving, and then when they do move laugh at them.

I think lots of people are impressed with the effort. Im always sad when I see people at the gym in January and then they disappear. I like that they are trying. I honestly feel most decent people will be supportive of that.
    As for the health benefits of being thin - I again think its more complicated than than. Just because you are thin does not mean you are healthy and won't get ill.

Right but it doesn't work for individual cases. It works for the majority. You have take averages you can't base a conclusion for yourself of one person. So one thin person may not be more healthy but the majority will be. There are many scientific studies on things like cancer, diabetes where body weight comes into it.

If you want to lose weight then we know how to do it. Something that works for 99% of people. What we don't know is how well you are prepared to execute it.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Something does not add up about your description of yourself and what you do. A severely obese competitive figure skater??

This overweight woman is exactly the same height as you, but 2 stone lighter!!

article_2071870_0_F1_C048_F00000578_621_196x485.jpg

Haha I come onto a new part of the forum and immediately read this!

Let me put it straight. DevilsAdvocate1's weight, height, bmi and hobbies are NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS :)

Live and let live is the key phrase here. EVEN IF DevilsAdvocate1 is not muscly and looks like the woman in your picture, why does that exclude her from figure skating? And why is it any of your business? :)
  • Money_maker
    Options
    So many people are 'fat shamed' into feeling like they have to lose weight, by doctors etc, but the fact is, there is no 'cure' for obesity...if calorie counting, weight watchers, slimming world, cambridge etc etc REALLY worked, the obesity epidemic would have been wiped out years ago.
    A few years ago when I quit smoking, the advisor at the doctors clinic made me really angry when she said she had never smoked. I couldn't understand how someone who had never had the addiction could effectively understand or support someone going through the motions of quitting. She said she had similar with her weight and had yo-yo-ed with trying to keep her weight down/go on diets.

Whilst I didn't understand the comparison then, I understand it now. There is a cure for both smoking and obesity but it is up to the individual to grab it and use it. You've just got to want it enough.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Anoneemoose
    Options
    A few years ago when I quit smoking, the advisor at the doctors clinic made me really angry when she said she had never smoked. I couldn't understand how someone who had never had the addiction could effectively understand or support someone going through the motions of quitting. She said she had similar with her weight and had yo-yo-ed with trying to keep her weight down/go on diets.

Whilst I didn't understand the comparison then, I understand it now. There is a cure for both smoking and obesity but it is up to the individual to grab it and use it. You've just got to want it enough.

Do you not think someone with borderline anorexia, and then binge eating disorder because of it WANTS it enough???

I realise it's going to take more than me to change the small mindedness of some people. Regardless of anything said here about what 'works' and what doesn't, the fact is dieting does not work for 95% of the population. And again, regardless of what others think, most people who want to lose weight, DO want it enough.

I'm out of this discussion now. I have said my piece, and remain unchanged on my opinion pf everything I have posted.
  • baby_lemonade
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I can't even use a cooker. I have severe dyscalculia which means I can't judge cooking times- I've blown up two microwaves and set an oven on fire. Not that we've got a cooker- it got ruined when the hot water tank blew up and flooded the kitchen. Insurance refused the claim and it's took four years to find the money to have the kitchen totally re-done. I'm a prolific self harmer so giving me a sharp knife is about the worst thing possible.
    I lost six stone at one point- and it was on stuff cooked in the microwave as I had no other option. I wasn't as unwell then though- literally some days I can't get out of bed, especially when my vertigo is bad. On days like that I'm not going to defy medical advice- I once nearly ended up with some nasty burns when I had a bad dizzy attack while lifting a freshly made bowl of veg soup from the microwave.

It's a wonder you can log on to the internet really (something which, when you think about it, is considerably more neurologically complex than using a cooker)

:think:
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It has been proven that weight gain does not come solely from calories intake and calorie expenditure. Some people do eat more than they believe that they do but the bacteria in the gut have a far bigger influence on body weight than anything else.

Research done on obese mice and slim mice where they fed both the same and the mice's weight remained. They then transferred the gut bacteria from the obese mice to the slim mice and the slim mice's weight increased and they became obese.

Bacteria in the gut produce fatty acids which can contribute considerably to the total calories available to the body. If your gut flora is disadvantaged then you are much less likely to be able to lose weight. This is why obesity tends to run in families because of the bacteria that they pass on to their children during birth. However I have seen obese neighbours teaching their children very poor eating habits, high in carbohydrates and snaking between meals which contributes to the problem IMO. These type of eating patterns promote the growth of certain bacteria which promote weight gain. That is why obesity is such a problem in the west because unnatural high carbohydrate diets are promoted.

BTW changing the gut flora is a very long and slow process. There are diets which can assist such as GAPS and SCD but they are hard to follow for most people. People crave carbs for a reason, the bacteria that want it promote the desire for it.

There is a lot of research being done on the human microbiota ATM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure