Main causes of obesity

The main causes of obesity is unhealthy eating and inactivity.

A very few obese people have a medical problem.

So folks if your BMI is more than 28 then you need to check your diet and walk more.

So if you are overweight, and you blame it on an illness, then you are more than likely to be in denial.

You just need to get a grip on things, sort your diet out and get out on your feet a bit.

Cheers fj

Comments

• The main causes of obesity is unhealthy eating and inactivity.

A very few obese people have a medical problem.

So folks if your BMI is more than 28 then you need to check your diet and walk more.

So if you are overweight, and you blame it on an illness, then you are more than likely to be in denial.

You just need to get a grip on things, sort your diet out and get out on your feet a bit.

Cheers fj

Without wanting to feed the troll, as I said, I can't walk far, hardly at all and often am unable to cook, relying a lot on others. Can you suggest something for me, seeing you seem to know it all?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I can't walk far either due to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and often rely on others to cook and shop for me. I've had to come to terms with the fact that my more sedentary lifestyle means that I can't eat as much as before I got ill. Carrying excess weight puts even more stress on my joints and makes my pain worse so I'm incentivised to try and keep it down.

At the moment my BMI is around 26, so I have been cutting down even further. I don't take sugar in drinks, and am really strict with myself not to snack between meals at all now. I measure out a portion of sugar free cereal or porridge for breakfast, and for lunch and dinner even if someone else has prepared these for me and I have no choice in what they consist of, I eyeball portion sizes and only eat what I feel I need.

It's certainly not as easy to lose weight as it was before (and I'm nearly 50 so that probably doesn't help either!) but I have managed to lose 7lbs over the last 3 weeks. When I can, I do some gentle Pilates or stretching too.
  • Nicki wrote: »
    I can't walk far either due to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and often rely on others to cook and shop for me. I've had to come to terms with the fact that my more sedentary lifestyle means that I can't eat as much as before I got ill. Carrying excess weight puts even more stress on my joints and makes my pain worse so I'm incentivised to try and keep it down.

At the moment my BMI is around 26, so I have been cutting down even further. I don't take sugar in drinks, and am really strict with myself not to snack between meals at all now. I measure out a portion of sugar free cereal or porridge for breakfast, and for lunch and dinner even if someone else has prepared these for me and I have no choice in what they consist of, I eyeball portion sizes and only eat what I feel I need.

It's certainly not as easy to lose weight as it was before (and I'm nearly 50 so that probably doesn't help either!) but I have managed to lose 7lbs over the last 3 weeks. When I can, I do some gentle Pilates or stretching too.

Very nice! If you are able to also get some light weights and do stuff with them. Honestly weights are really important for us all as we age as we naturally lose muscle and become more frail so preventing that with resistance training is valuable.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Professional rugby players are !!!!!!ed then
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • pelirocco wrote: »

For sure.

BMI is an awful measure. Should be bf %
  • Gynae problems? What if someone's going through the menopause early? The use of levothroxine should tell you not everyone's metabolism is the same.

Do you know what it is like to be on a budget? (Kind of why this site exists don't forget.)

Doesn't it take time for someone's stomach to shrink?
    Near on starving yourself isn't going to be much help when being physically active. If at all.

What about muscle to fat?

I did an experiment over this last week - I quit any wine for a week, walked 6 days out of 7 nearing 5 hours. No cheese. No cake etc- Use of fry light, take skimmed milk, had different meals each day, even had an extra period after quite a weight loss previous week - I guess the body decides it's going to do what it wants to do - stayed the same weight this week for all my goody two shoes. :o
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    pelirocco wrote: »

Yeah i'll tell the England Under 20 tight head prop who I sponsor (who by his measurements is obese but he's far from it)that some bloke on a forum thinks he's a fat slob and he should move more :rotfl: Tell you what OP, go find one of the South Sea Island rugby lot, preferably someone like Manu Tuilagi or Salesi Ma'afu and tell them they're fat and they need to get up off their lardy bums and move more :rotfl: I would pay good money to see that :rotfl:
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Competitive cyclists and footballers too then - Many would be advised that their high BMI needs them to take a little bit of exercise and watch their diet a bit!
  • Nicki wrote: »

I have the same conditions as you..and I spend a lot of time in pain as well. I eat when my body tells me it is hungry and stop when it's satisfied. I eat what it tells me it wants..and surprisingly this isn't always cake and chocolate. :rotfl: I have previously suffered from binge eating disorder, so any form of counting or restriction triggers bingeing, which is why I use the listening to my body method. I also have PCOS which is known for its weight gaining abilities!

I rely on others to cook for me for the most part. Sometimes I can manage some things, but they will have to be pre prepped. I often suffer from severe nausea as well and things like toast will be all I can stomach.

It's a big change from how I used to be and it's all a learning curve.
  • BMI is a notoriously bad way of gauging whether someone is overweight, underweight, healthy or unhealthy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure