'The £1 Million cash card' - Anyone played it lately?

Options

Comments

• kiebee
    kiebee Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Tbf, these are "legal" cons. The card does tell you all this before you claim, and you texting the number does count as you agreeing to this. The T&Cs state that the offer is not a subscription service, so you should be able to top up without worry.

These companies make a profit by charging extortionate amounts to obtain a claim code, and then doing what you're doing and not claiming because they think it's a scam. I'd leave the holiday, but the £10 is perfectly genuine and I'd claim it out of spite. :p

Have a look at JulieJesta's thread here to see how to claim and people's experiences: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2254809&highlight= You can obtain the claim code for free by post (obviously you don't need to now), but I would next time you get one of these just to get one over on them (I sound evil, don't I?). JUST MAKE SURE YOU OPT-OUT OF MARKETING OR YOU WILL GET TONNES OF JUNK MAIL (see thread). If you do it properly, they have to play ball, especially now they're being watched... :D
    Im a kiebee buzz,buzz!
  • moochedit
    moochedit Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    kiebee wrote: »
    Tbf, these are "legal" cons.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2011/02/court-smashes-purely-creative.html

The high court begs to differ :D
    Court smashes Purely Creative and McIntyre & Dodd scratchcard cons

King of the scratchcard and prize draw junk mail cons, Adrian Williams has been stopped in his tracks.
    In a fantastic victory, he'll be ordered by the High Court to stop sending the scam letters and cards.
    For three years we've been urging you to bin his rubbish, which tempt you into calling £1.50 phonelines or sending money for what turn out to be worthless prizes.
    As we reported last month, the Office of Fair Trading has taken Williams' business empire to the High Court under consumer protection rules.

Yesterday the court said it will issue enforcement orders against the 53-year-old from Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, and associates Wendy Ruck, Catherine Cummings (pictured above with Williams) and Peter Jude Henry.
    Orders banning the rip-offs will also be slapped on five companies: Purely Creative, Strike Lucky Games, McIntyre & Dodd Marketing, The Winners Club and Dodd Marketing.
  • jaks111
    jaks111 Posts: 570 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just came on here through doing a google search
    a friend recons she has won a holiday to turkey from this for 2 people all inc etc for a week she has a application form to fill in i have asked her if it inc flights she said she thinks so she has not read all of it yet or posted it back when i visit her next week we are going to read through it i have a feeling it may be timeshare

has any one ever won a holiday if so what is the catch

thanks
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jaks111 wrote: »
    just came on here through doing a google search
    a friend recons she has won a holiday to turkey from this for 2 people all inc etc for a week she has a application form to fill in i have asked her if it inc flights she said she thinks so she has not read all of it yet or posted it back when i visit her next week we are going to read through it i have a feeling it may be timeshare

thanks

From post number 78

by deceiving consumers as to the geographical origin of particular products, or by describing a holiday voucher as a prize, when it would cost the consumer a significant sum actually to go on the holiday
  • moochedit
    moochedit Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    jaks111 wrote: »

the scams vary but it'll be one (or more) of these:

1) timeshare selling
    2) flight not included
    3) only 1 date to choose from (like dec 24th) and often at very short notice
    4) only for 1 person

with 2, 3 and 4 above, the idea is to put you off actually claiming the prize after you have phoned the premium rate line.
  • 1985dj
    1985dj Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately we were stupid enough to actually send a text to see what we'd won. We should have realised we'd get the holiday in Algarve because of how many are on offer (only noticed AFTER we had text) We also wish we had checked this site before texting!!! Everything said on here would have put us off. Oh well, i guess we learn from our mistakes.

In the texts it says:
    3x Star = xbox360 kinect console
    3x Lizard = £100 amazon gift card
    3x Aeroplane = £100,000
    3x Bat = Pandora bracelet plus 5 charms
    3x Loaf = Week at Oura View Beach Club, Algarve for 4(excludes travel)
    3x Dice = £10,000
    3x Bike = £250 M&S Gift card
    3x Triangle = Week at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas for 2
    3x Ice cream = £1000 Tesco gift card
    3x book / storm / basketball = you have to call to validate (probably the £1million)

We've got 2x Tyre on the other one which is probably the tenner, but we're not going to bother to call/text to find out. :(
  • wombatsam
    wombatsam Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    I received my postal claim for this today and in it there was a slip with all the prizes, it listed the ones 1985dj listed above and the cash ones too:

2 x Holly £5,000
    2 x Eye £2,000
    2 x Football £1,000
    2 x Cat £500
    2 x Palm Tree £250
    2 x Cake £50
    2 x Present £25
    2 x Tyre £10
    2011 - Family ticket to Warwick Castle, £20 cash, Family ticket to Legoland, £100 Love2Shop vouchers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well Purely creative are still going with the scratchcards
    Theres one in todays Daily Mirror, slightly different format, i assume so it fits in with the court ruling.

As usual you can get the claim number by post (read small print), for the cost of a stamp. (Dont use the phone line whatever you do)

Hopefully one of the guaranteed prizes is £10 as was previoulsy the case.
  • carlcooper64
    Options
    I have received the latest 1 million pound scratchcard from Purely Creative.

There are no symbols anymore like on the old cards, only passwords.

Mine are:

Chris, Laura and Betty (one on each of the three cards).

Does anyone know what the prizes they are for?
  • wombatsam
    wombatsam Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    I'd recommend sending off for a postal code, you'll probably win the lowest amount of money, but worth a go :-)
    2011 - Family ticket to Warwick Castle, £20 cash, Family ticket to Legoland, £100 Love2Shop vouchers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure