Problems with CapQuest Debt Recovery Ltd

Options

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lynneand1 wrote: »
    Also my mum has also recently started paying a debt that was 7-8 years old again to a debt company! So before she started paying the debt again in September 08(for a sofa she got) it was over 5 years old and she got pestered so much by them she gave in and is now paying them £20 a month! So is it no longer a barred debt as she has started paying again? Or does that not matter as over 5 years have passed since her last payment or if it is still classed as barred is she entitled to the £100 back she has paid them so far? If the debt is barred and she is entitled to the money back how do we go about doing that!! Though do these companies refund the money or will she just have to put it down as a loss and pay them no more?
    Lynne x

She needs to stop paying them immediately.

She cannot reclaim the nmoney as the legal position is that she still owes the debt but that it is unfair to pursue her once she tells them she is no longer paying.

Re the pestering, she might have a better case, although some of this might be English.

There was a successful private prosecution under English law for haressment and the OFT have given a really nasty DCa a complete going over. The latter may be more use to your mum.

Did she get any letters from this company?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • lynneand1
    lynneand1 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ras thanks for your reply! I have advised my mum to stop paying her debt immediately so what is her next step, does she call them? Or is there a letter she can send? The company that are chasing/harrasing her were doing so by phone apart from standard demand letters so unfortunately she has no evidence of there persistent 4-5 times a day calls at all times of the night & day etc.. but if she could stop paying the debt legally that would be a great weight off her mind as she is on Incapacity & DLA benefits so there is not alot of spare cash as my dad only works 16hrs a week on minimum wage and is due his pension in September this year!

With regard to my debt with Capquest i called them on friday and said i disputed the debt(hope this was the right thing to do!!) They have asked me to put the dispute in writing so what is my next step is there a letter i could use? If you could guide me through the process i would be eternally grateful!
    Sorry i am taking so long between replys but i will try to check in tomorrow incase you need any further info from me!

Many thanks again

Lynne & Vi (my mum) x
    Thought for today:-
    There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who used to matter and those that never did;)
    :T Now facing my debts instead of hiding from them!:T

Thanks to everyone on here than has helped me through my darkest days!:D
  • lynneand1
    Options
    Sorry just bumping this up as i posted late on saturday night and i think it has been pushed down!;)
    Cheers
    Lynne x
    There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who used to matter and those that never did;)

• lynneand1
    Options
    Hi RAS are you going about just now? Wondering what the next steps are for me & my mum is there letter templates going about i could use? I need one requesting my CCA from Capquest and my mum needs for this debt we think is statute barred! I have put more info in the e-mails above!

Thanks again for your help

Lynne x

• lynneand1
    Options
    Hi wondering if anyone can read through my previous posts on this thread and advise what the next course of action is for me and also what my mum is to do now that she has stopped paying her debt again?
    Many thanks for any help/advice.

Lynne x

• RAS
    Options
    Lynne

Stuff falls off the page here.

Am leaving very shortly and may not be able to get on line for a couple of days, but will post up a statue barred letter before I go.
  • RAS
    Options
    Nicked from fermi

Send the relevant letter (depending on where the account was first taken out) by registered post.

Refuse to answer telephone calls, and once this is signed for advise them that calls are being recorded to support a complaint to the OFTetc.

Statute Barred debts.

A debt will be "Statute Barred" if there has been no acknowledgement of the debt by you making a payment or in writing within the relevant limitation period.

If you are in England/Wales then the limitation period is 6 years and you should read:

Link: Factsheet | Liability for Debts and the Limitation Act (England/Wales)

If you are in Scotland then the limitation period is 5 years and you should read:

Link: Factsheet | Liability for debts & the Prescription & Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973

If you feel the debt is "Statute Barred", then there is a letter to write at the end of each factsheet.

England/Wales.

Quote:
    1 High Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent
    R21 4RH
    Date

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any other company or organisation that you claim to be representing.

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 "an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued".

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that "it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".

The last correspondence/payment/acknowledgement or payment of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me/us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, I/we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me/us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that "continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970".

I/we await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mrs A N Other
    Scotland.

Quote:
    1 High Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent
    R21 4RH
    Date

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any other company or organisation that you claim to be representing.

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that under The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 Part 1 Prescription Section 6:

"If after an appropriate date, an obligation (an appropriate debt) has subsided for a continuous period of five years:

(a) without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and
    (b) without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged;

then as from the expiration of that period the obligation shall be extinguished..."

I/we would also point out that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that:

"It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".

The last written acknowledgement/payment of this debt was made over five years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me/us in the relevant period under Part 1 Section 6of the above Act, I/we suggest that you are no longer able to take anycourt action against me/us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:

"continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment".

I/we await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mrs A N Other
  • magicnumber25
    Options
    I have received a letter from CapQuest Debt Recovery at my address today. It is addressed to someone with the same first initial and surname as mine but they have the name wrong - not even close. They claim to be acting on behalf of National Westminster Bank Plc. No one here has a Nat West account and there are no outstanding debts either. No communication from Nat West or any other organisation acting on their behalf has been received until today. Are these people ligitimate or just scammers trying it on?

The Nat West call centre have advised me to take the letter to my local branch. I will do this to see what they will do on my behalf but I have a feeling I will have to write a couple of letters to these clowns as kindly advised in the original postings in 2007.

Has anything changed under the law to protect us from these annoying, pestilential creatures?

Thanks for any feedback you are able to give me.
  • magicnumber25
    Options
    Update: I took the letter from Cap Quest into my local Nat West branch on Saturday morning. The Customer Services lady took the letter into the back and made a phone call. After returning to ask me my DoB and whether I had lived at another address the issue was 'resolved'. Cap Quest said to throw away their letter, however I have had it annotated, signed and dated - just in case :)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Cap Quest said to throw away their letter, however I have had it annotated, signed and dated - just in case :)

With Capquest that is probably wise. ;)

Keep hold of it any any other evidence.

If you here any more from them, then you can use all that as evidence for a complaint to the OFT and Trading Standards. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure