PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Options

Comments

• Emerald3_2
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie (got introduced to this site by my dad). I'm a 21 year old 2nd year uni student. Haven't posted much yet, but I hope I can contribute as much as I take the advice of others.
  • HockeyDuo8083
    Options
    Hi to everyone,

I am 25 and work full time. Luckliy I have plenty access to Internet so I 'live' on the MSE site monday-friday!lol
    Posted a couple of times but have learnt sooo much, January 1st 2009 will be the start of my Full Time Frugal Life. OH and I fritter money away and we both have decided that we should start counting ourselves lucky to have good jobs and get our savings up to scratch.
    I have rediscovered cooking thanks to Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food show on TV. I LOVE COOKING!

Very addicted to the MSE site & Forum - totally brilliant
    Spreading the gospel that is Martin Lewis to the future generation....I'm a Home Economics Teacher and being thrifty is the way!:A
  • Esor
    Esor Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Been on the site for a short time, ever since my OH pointed out the graduate account comparison (which was fantastic). Just recently started reading this board but it is great, I have gained so much knowledge! I really hate cooking but as I'm a part time student and currently unemployed so in the house most of the time whilst my OH works full time I've been doing most of it lately. He's also about to start an OU degree so we need to tighten our belts enough to pay both of our fees. We have a gorgeous black and white cat, though she is allergic to whiskers food and will only eat gourmet meat so she isn't very money saving, the best company though.

Actually I'm posting today because I'm proud of myself for making a nice shepherd's pie the other day (not just edible, nice!) and have motivated myself to have a bit of a baking day today. I'm vegetarian so was pleased when I realised that was a money saving thing in itself! Today I'm going to make a huge batch of veggie mince (with breadcrumbs and grated carrot!) and a pan of veggies then create some small 'pies' (breadcrumb and cheese topping) and a large bolognaise and then freeze some of it. My OH was incredibly shocked to come home to the shepherd's pie the other night (he tends to eat most of my creations but they aren't normally that good) and then even more shocked when it was good. I've been loving the sneaky tips (been squashing the toilet rolls!) and I am just generally really pleased to have all this info to hand.

Thanks all! I promise to contribute any tips that I can :)
  • Zooxanthelle
    Options
    Hi, I am Zoo.
    Long time lurker fairly newish poster. I live in Hove near Brighton and I'm 22 years old. I live with my bf who is the same age (we've been together just over 3 years). He is a student and I am currently unemployed but starting a new job in December. In my free time I volunteer at an Animal Sanctuary.
    I love cooking from scratch and my baking is known far and wide amongst collegues and family members!
    I love finding new money saving tips and helpful hints!

So..hi :o.
  • angelite_2
    Options
    Hi everyone, been on the site off and on for a while so thought I better write a bit about myself.

I'm 35 yo and I'm a health visitor. Me and my DS 14 live in Scotland. I have to admit, I've got addicted to this web site again. I'm also telling my friends and family about it, giving them lots of tips and advice I've picked up here. I've discovered the joys of baking agai (chocolate cake, banana/apple muffins), got a new bread maker 2.

We're animal lovers and have 2 doggies. x
  • blackcoffee
    Options
    A month or so ago, I added up our outgoings and they without fuel & food exceeded my husbands monthly salary, they have been this way for a long time ... however every december my dh gets a guaranteed substancial annual bonus, (dh in current climates is worried it will be a huge reduction on recent years)

We use that bonus as our security blanket, it gets put into a savings pot and should then see us through next year. we dip into it as and when needed. its getting smaller and smaller as we are dipping into it more and more !

We are tired of living this way. I have totally scoured the net and reduced many of or outgoings, and now i need to reduce other spends. There a few things i need to further change, dh is tied into a mobile contract, and a broadband deal, our electricity & gas are extortionate but i cant find cheaper. the usual !!!

anycase .. living o/s style ......

Ive unplugged the tumble drier (which used to be on constantly) and im now waiting for the next electricity bill too see if there is any difference ? Our heating is on 1 hour every morning and 1 hour every night, nothing more, and im constantly checking over lights, things on standby etc.

We have no debt, other than our mortage, and want to keep it that way. this is a start for me.
    I just wanted to say Hi realy. so Hi.:money:
    xxxx
  • Esor
    Esor Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Hi and welcome, I've just started trying to live a bit os too. They're a very welcoming and helpful bunch here and there are hundreds (literally!) of good ideas and useful tips. Check out the 'sneaky' money saving thread, it's hillarious and also very useful. Sorry I haven't worked out how to link here yet (just being lazy really, will get around to it though).

You sound like you've done loads of good stuff so far, way ahead of my measly efforts, though I'm getting there :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello blackcoffee and welcome. If you want to
    reduce your outgoings why dont you post an SOA and we'll see if we can help.
    There was no mention of you having a job, do you work?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi blackcoffee,

Welcome to Old Style :hello: I hope you'll enjoy it here. Congratulations on cutting back so far and good luck with sorting out the phone contract.

I'll add your post to the thread at the top of the board where everyone introduces themselves.

Pink
  • blackcoffee
    Options
    thanks people, as soon as i posted i saw the introduce yourself thread ...... argh ! i so need to learn to read properly !

I am a sahm, i will post soa once ive got them down to as low as I can.

We have so far changed our mortgage, house insurance, both cars insurance, cancelled sky & my mobile is now payg, not contract.

elder 2 are in school, youngest just a baby. stopped doing food shop at tesco, ventured to lidl, and have chopped the credit cards. I have £100 a week which is supposed to last!! Im on week 3, week 1 & 2 I failed and ended up going back to the bank !!

Think i need to find a max 25 hour a week job, putting youngest in nursery :eek: (i have to do school run, no family close to help) or win the lottery!!!!

dh gets a well deserved payrise in Jan, but it is still unconfirmed.

How much is enough for a family of 5 for grocery ? ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure