PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Princes leia

If you make a batch of the tortilla dough up and break it into the balls and freeze them... then when you take them out and defrost them they will roll out thinner ..but you will need more flour as they are stickier ;)

Also -what sort of rolling pin do you have? only when i first did them i was rolling out and realised i had the wooden rolling pin with the balls on the end -so it couldn't roll as thin as i wanted -so i swapped to a straight one i have and they rolled thinner -A piece of new broom handle/dowling works well too and is great for rolling pasta too :p
    HTH
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • princess_leia_3
    princess_leia_3 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Princes leia

If you make a batch of the tortilla dough up and break it into the balls and freeze them... then when you take them out and defrost them they will roll out thinner ..but you will need more flour as they are stickier ;)

Also -what sort of rolling pin do you have? only when i first did them i was rolling out and realised i had the wooden rolling pin with the balls on the end -so it couldn't roll as thin as i wanted -so i swapped to a straight one i have and they rolled thinner -A piece of new broom handle/dowling works well too and is great for rolling pasta too :p
    HTH

Aha so its my rolling pins fault then :rotfl: as yes it is a wooden one maybe I will get DH to saw the ends off for me :T and I did roll quite hard - quite a good work out really ;) I will try the freezing technique as I would really like to make my own as the kids enjoyed it and they can't wait to make pizzas tomorrow now ;)
    Thanks Mrs M :D
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all:)

My Friend is getting married tomorrow and I bagged a bargin in a charity shop today, I got my outfit for £4.... its a fitted suit from principles:)

My parents are going to babysit for me! So no cost there thank goodness!

I have been reading about online grocery shopping and rang my local Mr A and Mr T......they dont deliver to me as I am to rural:(

My Kids have been off school since the end of june and they are eating me outta house and home!

I had to nip down to the shop today (in the village where I live) and a 500g packet of pasta, a loaf and a small block of cheese cost me £3.55!!! Its shocking:( and the kids were going on about a treat or treats and I just said that I couldnt afford it but when we go to Mr T and Mr A on sat nite that i will buy ingredients and we can make our own treats, the kids are getting very excited about this and are trawling through cook books looking for inspiration!!.....now im worried about the baking tins and loaf trays, lol I dont have any, but i will beg and borrow from my aunt, who loves baking!!
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi guy's,
    just wanted to pop on and say hi - nearly a NSD but was in my car for 2 hours today stuck in traffic so brought 2 SMALL bottles of fresh orange in the garage when filling up (BOGOF) as DESPERATE for a refreshing drink... so spent £1.24 today (alright for 2 bottles but WRONG for 1 at that price eh!)

:heartpulsSAVINGFORTRAVEL - CONGRATULATIONS AND BEST WISHES TO YOU AND OB:heartpuls - Have the wedding that you two want and no-one else - Just enjoy it and get loads of photos (not proper ones, but ones from friends and family coz they get the juicy bits :D ) so when your old and wrinkly and sitting in your matching rocking chairs, you can hold hands and look back with love... :love:

Will hopefully catch up at the weekend, as too tired at the moment (only up to pg 21 :eek: ) - have a great day tomorrow x x x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My DS was off the chart when he was (not so) little. Now he's tall and skinny. DD started out at 6lb 5oz and is even bigger than DS! She's solid and big and tall. Not fat but my word if you try and lift her she'll have your arms out the sockets!
    Dh has just informed me we're nearly out of milk then asked if we were getting more tomorrow. Yes dear. Good...... Your sister's not coming round is she?
    Night night.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £100 again this month.

Went over this month by about £25 :o but I did stock on a few offers.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • DdraigGoch
    DdraigGoch Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well, I've started as I mean to go on - I had agreed £180 for the month, so I went and did a shop yesterday, and spent just over £120 of it. So that'll be a shock for the family! When it's gone, it's gone, as they say. Luckily I have HUGE stocks of the basics so if they eat it all up now, it's going to get very boring later.... I've told OH that we've £10 a week for fresh milk [I use UHT semi-skimmed, watered by a third already!], fresh bread [getting the breadmaker out again] and vegetables. So, if everything goes to plan I'll be £10 up on the month, but since this is the first month I've ever done anything like this, we'll see. ....

Has anyone else ever done the radical "spend it first and worry about it later" approach, or am I on my own on this?!

DG
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • queen_of_string
    Options
    that sounds fab mumoffour. That was how I learnt to cook as a kid, making nice things first, has served me well all these years :-)
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I did rubbish in July, just overspent on everything :o .

We're going on hols for a week - 3 wks today :j - & I've saved for spends that week so going to try much harder for next month so please would you put me down for £ 150.00 for August .

thank you

lula x
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i ended up getting the bus to work as the train times are all mucked up due to engineering works, so spent my £1.10 after all. Did take my chilli in though, and managed to make an appointment for tootsies, so done half the things I said I would, which is quite good for me! Havent spent any of my G/C money either :dance:
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills