Sky+ HD/Sky Q options help.

Hello.

I gave Sky my cancellation request on 14/09/2016 and they offered me 50% off for 10 months but i said no. I got a letter yesterday saying i can have 60% off for 1 year if i accept by 03/10/2016.
My setup now is Sky +HD box is downstairs and then 2 coax leads on magic eyes go to 2 tv in upstairs bedrooms. I have a lodger staying with us who uses a freesat box that uses 1 sat cable from the dish. He normally stays for the week but sometimes it will be the weekend depending if he has overtime.
Me and my partner work at different times she doesn't always watch the same progs as me so i wait for her to finish watching tv and then its my turn.
We both record things and a lot of the time i/she will watch it upstairs.
The question i would like help with is if i take the 60% offer for tv and then ask for multiscreen i think i would only get a non recording box but i want to be able to watch what i record on the upstairs box so she can watch live tv or what was recorded on that box. Also we need to watch 2 live progs at the same time.
As for Sky Q i was on digitalspy last week and a poster said if you get a good discount and then call back i 2 days and ask about Sky Q they will carry over the discount and you will be able to get a good deal for multiscree also.
I do know that i will need a hybrid lnb to keep the freesat box working for the lodger.
Any ideas on what to do about this please would be very helpful and i have variety, sports and cinema and pay £60 per month. I also have Sky fibre and calls but i have 5 months left to run on the min term.

Comments

• You won't get a 60% offer in conjunction with any new equipment (Sky Q or otherwise).

If you want Multi-Screen with recording capability, you need to buy another Sky+HD and agree to pay Sky £12 a month extra.

If you want Sky Q, you need to ring Sky to see what deals are available. Most you're likely to get though is free installation. Your basic subscription will remain as it is now.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is what i found on digitalspy in relation to what i said about getting a deal on Sky Q.

Bit of a tip if you want Sky Q for a decent price and your an existing customer with your contract coming to an end.... Iv done this twice now with mine and my mother in laws account;
    Call retentions and cancel (31 days notice). They will normally offer between 15 - 25% discount on your pack but can't discuss Sky Q.
    A couple of days later cal Sky Q and say that your interested in it but have cancelled your subscription. They will give you a price of £30 for 1 box or £60 for the two plus £12 a month. Then ask if they can do anything on your monthly prices.... both times without hesitation they have said they can do 50% off for 12 months regardless of what pack you were on previously.
    It's worth a shot those that a struggling to get a good price.

I don't know if it works but there seems to be a lot of confusing advice about if current discounts can be carried over to Sky Q and on Sky community forum there are different stories of peopl getting the same discount and some not.
  • Just because one poster on another forum is claiming that he had a retention deal applied to a new SkyQ installation does not mean it is true.

Sky Q is top of the range equipment. Do you seriously believe they will be discounting it to customers who have simply expressed a desire to leave?

Do come back and report what Sky have to say on the subject if you decide to approach them.

And don't take everything you read on forums as Gospel (including this post) :p
  • Boohoo
    Yesterday called and had a live chat to Sky about getting Q installed.
    Live chat said i can get Sky Q 2tb plus Q mini and multiscreen for £30 and £10 install on Variety,sports and cinema. The monthly cost would be £80 but they could give me 25% off the tv but not £12 multiscreen so it would be £51 + £12=£63 pm.
    Spoke to rep on the phone and the same as above would £30 each for box plus £10 install. The tv part she said would be the same as above with 25% off so £63pm but she said after asking 3 times that she could offer £100 credit so £70 for 2 boxes and install would leave me with £30 credit works out at £60.50pm.
    I asked about the 60% off offer for Sky+ HD to stay with them and if that could be carried over to Q and bothe rep's gave different answeres. Chat said i may get 60% off sports and cinema but not multi or variety and the phone rep said it would depend on what is on my account and what Sky Q options i went for.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusing advice here.
    I cancelled my sky and eventually got a 60% reduction about a week before it was due to end
    A week or so later I went online and got sky Q for the advertised £12/month with £60 upfront for installation and an extra box.
    The sky Q is £12/ month on top of whatever deal you are on, whether it is a special deal or not.
    My only advice is to wait until after you have got a good discount in place before requesting sky Q, don't ask for it while negotiating your discount.
  • Boohoo
    keith1950 there is very much different prices/advice out there from Sky advisors.
    I have a letter for 60% off and i wanted to know if the discount would carry over to Q.
    I have a week or so before i get cut off and i will see about getting multiroom or Sky Q.
  • keith1950
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 October 2016 at 6:09AM
    As I said, accept the 60% deal and after a few days go online and get sky Q for £12/month on top of that deal.
    If you ask about sky Q while trying to get a good deal you are reducing your negotiating power so you won't get the best deal.
    One step at a time.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Why are you paying £10 installation fee for sky Q ? I just upgraded online yesterday i have paid the one off fee but theres no other fee involved other than the monthly cost.
  • Boohoo
    CHRISSYG are you meaning me(boohoo) ?
    If you are then the £10 install was what i was quoted/told from the Sky chat/rep. I have not ordered Sky Q i was just finding out what my options and the prices if i went ahead.
    When i asked about options with Sky i had already in the 30 day cancel and that was all they could offer.
    I have tried to see what the upgrade would be through MY SKY account but as i have gave notice it will not let me carry on and tells me to call them.
  • keith1950
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You need to accept the 60% offer and the account update before you can go online and apply for sky q at £12/month.
    You will then keep any offer you have agreed to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure