We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Not done anything for a couple of days except water. I had quite a bad bash in the face from one of our mares, she wasn't being naughty she just caught me by accident, I much prefer dealing with the boys (stallions) they are much more predictable with their one track mind. I've got some really impressive bruising and it hurts when I bend over.

I suppose I'll have to make some effort tomorrow as there is so much to do on the plot and I'm determined to catch up.

So sorry to hear about your incident with the mares - good idea to take it easy. Take care.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Potted up about half my annuals and moved some outside (needs must) if there is likely to be a frost I will chuck some fleece over them but fingers crossed it will be fine. I sowed parsley, sage, thyme, basil and coriander for my summer herb pots. I also started some delphiniums, lupins etc to go in in September. Such a treat to have a day in the greenhouse listening to an audio book LOVELY! Neighbourhood plant swap in two weeks time so I need a lot of stuff potted up ready for then.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Decided to pot on some germinated seeds. I brought them down to the house so I could sit down and work with my head up. It worked well, I used the utility room which now looks a mess. I think I'll leave the floor to dry a bit and then use the hoover to get rid of the spilt compost. If I keep the door shut and the lights off my DH wont venture in there and start to moan until I've tidied up, if he does I'll mention where I keep the brush and shovel - here's hoping :)
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seeds are sprouting in the mini greenhouse YAY!

I'm hoping to make it up the plot for a couple of hours today. Its decidedly cooler which is better for me to be working in, but the threat of heavy rains is strong too, and with no shed to shelter in, I'll have to time it 'just right' LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    ah you're lucky CAFCGirl! I've just woke up to a wet and miserable looking day which puts paid to my plans of going to the allotment and I'm pretty much up to date with sowing and potting on (I have 6 toms that I need to repot and that's it!) Today is clearly standard BH weather! Tomorrow looks like a better day....
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One great thing about growing food is it unplugs my sons from their devices & brings them alert & keen clutching almost-appropriate weaponry (in anticipation of food).
    OK the youngest's technique with a shovel includes trying to pogo it in deeper, but the willingness is there. They did a splendid job unbagging spuds (largely a who's got the biggest exercise [sigh]), but admirably thorough.
    My only concern is they are getting to the soft fruit before the birds are, making a hash of my jam hopes. Still if they focus on the goosegogs at the bottom of the hill, the tayberries further up may survive a little longer.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello :wave:. Not sure how I have not spotted this thread until now. I hope it's OK to join in.

I have finally planted most of my veg seeds in the greenhouse but I think we lost most of the over-wintering fuchsia and geraniums lost the survival battle after the (acrylic) roof of our greenhouse was liberally distributed around the Village in the January gales. I have got a few poorly little plants for hanging baskets that I am nurturing, ready to pot up in a week or two when other seeds are sprouting.

I spent a good three hours weeding the gravel paths around the veg beds yesterday and a bit achy today but still incomplete so that will be this morning (after I've finished dying my hair(!)).

Hopefully I will have some company as DH has (maybe) finished fiddling with his motor-bike. It took all day yesterday (until 9pm) but involved learning new skills and saving about £300
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Welcome Suffolk Lass, it's lovely to see you here on this thread I read your postings on another thread.
  • zafiro1984
    Options
    Welcome Suffolk Lass it's good to see you on here. I read your postings on another thread.

Fruittea: I've just googled an azada and realised I have one from Screwfix but only a very small one. It does look like a bigger one could be more useful, I'll have to investigate as it may save the back.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Welcome to the thread Suffolk Lass:j

Hope your bruising soon subsides Zafiro...that sounded awful!

Regarding weeds growing between paths........cant believe I have just discovered the power of boiling water on weeds.

I have a clump just inside my allotment gate that really annoy me so after reading about boiling water killing weeds.......after I had my cuppa at the allotment last week, I poured the remaing water out of the kettle on said weeds.

Went to plot yesterday and they had all shrivelled up so each time I have a brew, a different area of the plot, (mainly inbetween slabs) will be getting the same treatment. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure