IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Matt_Watkinson
    Matt_Watkinson Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2009 at 10:35AM
    Options
    I got a ticket on a private car park and refused to pay. They got to £300 before I contacted a pal who fights these things, particularly local councils. Nearly all local councils haven't got their parking signs done properly, which effectively makes them unenforceable.
    Watch out for those things that claim to be PCNs. It's against the law to make them look like they are, so you call their bluff. What they usually do is have someone sitting in a car all day who puts a blank bit of paper on your windscreen, photographs it and then fills in the details later. Aren't they naughty? (I censored this myself) Good luck. But beware traffic wardens who allow disabled vehicles to park on (dangerous) double yellows. They can easily make you lose your temper...
  • elsieg
    Options
    On December 9th, I was hit with a fine for £70, for parking in a residents' bay. I had previously parked here without a problem, on the opposite side of the road. In the midst of my fury and indignation, :eek: I got out of the car and found a tiny, unlit sign set back from the road and not actually on the road it was intended to apply to, as opposed to a lovely, big, well-lit sign on the other side, which told me I could park for up to 2 hours. I was not happy.:mad:

To cut a long story short, I checked Martin's website and decided to appeal, including photos to support my case. My informal appeal was rejected out of hand, so I waited for the Notice to Owner to arrive, then filed a formal appeal, which has just been upheld. (I was ready to go the Parking Adjudicator if necessary.) Had I not had access to this website, I would probably have just grumbled and paid up.

Thanks, Martin!

So, if you think you've got a case, go for it! :j
  • kat1982
    kat1982 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    success- Leicester city council, after the attendant ignored the ticket on the back windscreen as the front windscreen was cracked and in the process of being replaced! dimwits.... won the appeal, but received a letter saying 'we'll let you off this time' as if i was lying!

failure- a europark car park where the ticket stated 'customer seen leaving on foot' after i left to walk accross the road to use a cashpoint, before returning to spend the money at the retail park. sent my receipt in for my purchases with my appeal, but because the items bought were after leaving the car park and not before, still had to pay fifty fine english pounds! what a farce...
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    kat1982 wrote: »
    failure- a europark car park where the ticket stated 'customer seen leaving on foot' after i left to walk accross the road to use a cashpoint, before returning to spend the money at the retail park. sent my receipt in for my purchases with my appeal, but because the items bought were after leaving the car park and not before, still had to pay fifty fine english pounds! what a farce...

This could so easily have been a success too :doh:

So they 'fined' you £50 for walking to an ATM?

They can't do that, it's not lawful. Next time you get a parking 'fine' from a private parking company (PPC), come here before you even think about paying it. A private company can't 'fine' you - it's nothing more than an invitation to give some thick people in a shabby office some free cash.

If you ignore them they'll commonly threaten court action and their letters will start to include red ink and chequered borders (scary huh :D) but they eventually go away because they know they can't just pluck a random figure out of thin air and then take you to court over it.

Make sure you know this for future and tell everyone you know about this type of scam - the more people that know, the less money these cowboys will get.

By the way, if you feel like taking court action to try and reclaim your £50 then please start a new thread with details. It will involve filing a court claim against the parking company and the landowner and you'll get more help if this is what you decide to do :)
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    I just can't get my head around this! Look at the edit! Moving this to WRONG thread!

How so many of them? The site owners need to get a grip and moderate properly or forget it with the mayhem!
  • GAZZA59
    Options
    Hi yer
    Does the 56 day rule apply to both FORMAL and INFORMAL Appeals?.it took the council from March 10th till May 18 to turn my Informal appeal down.BLOOD SUCKERS
  • FlyingDonkeys
    Options
    Hi Well done Aegis,

Its known as maladminstration by the council. I know of a case where someone sued the council on that basis and not only were all cases dropped but the council had to go back and pay everyone who got ticketed for the same reason. Will look for link to story and post back if I can. Anyone want to get together against a London council who imposed nonsensical parking restrictions, that not even the residents understood it until they got tickets?
    Flying Donkeys- Do no harm to others and you will benefit in more ways than one.
  • daisyisarobot
    Options
    Success!!

I came home from a mini break to find the back of my tax disc holder had come off and my permit was in the passenger side footwell (face-up). I had a ticket. I park in the same place every single day and it's always the same ticket inspector so I did feel it was malicious.

I wrote to the council straight away with a photocopy of my permit then I harassed them every other day until they agreed to cancel the ticket and they did. They couldn't justify giving me a ticket when the whole reason for resident permits is to aid the residents....me!
  • westart
    Options
    hello people,

just thought I'd drop by to let you know of my success story.

I recieved a PCN from Camden Council while picking up my son from school. No arguments....I was parked in a residents bay without a permit. Open and shut case as far as they were concerned you might think.
    However after reading Martins tips regarding appeals (specifically the part about writing a 'nice' letter) I wrote a respectful letter to the council explaining my reasons for appeal, not really expecting they would give it the time of day. However yesterday I recieved a reply saying they have looked at my case, and taking on board what I said they had cancelled the ticket! :j

So the moral of the story is, sometimes it pays to be nice ;)

Thank you Martin, thank you MSE.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So the moral of the story is, sometimes it pays to be nice ;)

Agreed. Just before Christmas I parked correctly in a Test Valley council car park with ticket and went shopping around the town. A couple of purchases later I realised my wallet was missing, believed stolen so I backtracked unsuccessfully then rushed into a branch of my bank to cancel the cards before they could be used and to the police station to report the loss. With the time that took I overstayed my parking and got a ticket so I wrote a letter explaining the circumstances, quoting the police incident number and sent it with a cheque for the reduced rate fine to the council.
    They were obviously in good Christmas bonhomie and returned my cheque and a letter saying my penalty had been cancelled.:j
    Even better, my wallet later turned up safely having fallen out of my bag but being without any cards just before and over Christmas is a real pain as everything takes longer due to holidays.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback