Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!!

Options

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone know if these work with First Direct accounts as they're part of the HSBC group?

Yes.

Regards
    Sunil
  • mr1974
    mr1974 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can find out which HSBC branches have these machines? Would they be with the "print a statement" type machines or behind the counter?

Had to resume this message as I have been through the same quest lately.

The machines are not behind the counter, but with the "print a statement type", as you say.

As far as knowing what branches offer this service, apparently this information is not held on HSBC customer service databases, and if anybody can get it out of them I will eat my hat as I tried endless times. It's not even easy to ring branches directly, as HSBC operates a central number policy, where you can at most leave your details and get called back. Even going that route I could only check one branch, and the representative at issue wasn't even 100% sure of what the case was....geez!

Can I ask whoever knows anything about this Coin Express machines (just by having spotted them when walking into a branch) to contribute to this thread for everybody's benefit?
    I will start with my own little piece of information:
    1 - Canary Wharf (Jubilee Park mall) - availability: 24 hrs 7/7

Thanks for any contribution
    MR
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used one of their machines for around £100 of coins. I knew about the % charge but was happy to pay it.
    It would have taken me hours to sort, count and bag all the coins i had. My bank (Nationwide) would accept them for free but only 5 bags at a time - and that's 5 bags per day because I've tried getting round it!
    Added to that my NW branch is around 7miles away so a 14 mile round trip plus parking several times to deposit my money isn't moneysaving at all.

I'm definitely cheaper paying the 7% and getting it converted to notes at my local Asda!!

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    Anyone know if these work with First Direct accounts as they're part of the HSBC group?

Yes, Express Banking features work with First Direct accounts also.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I actually wrote to HSBC to ask them if my local branches (theres 2) would consider getting one as all the local supermarkets (all 3) have the coinstar machines and charge 7.9%, which I refuse to pay (tight !!! i know). I instead bank my coins up and put them in bags.

But if you are ever behind someone who has money bags you know how annoying it is having to wait for them.

However, they phoned back a week later and told me that if we have lots of coins we can ask for a business bag and put all your coins in there (all bagged up), hand it over, they will then count them after hours and process the money the next day and that there was no way they would be getting a coinstar like machine in any branch :(
  • mr1974
    mr1974 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    I actually wrote to HSBC to ask them if my local branches (theres 2) would consider getting one as all the local supermarkets (all 3) have the coinstar machines and charge 7.9%, which I refuse to pay (tight !!! i know). I instead bank my coins up and put them in bags.

But if you are ever behind someone who has money bags you know how annoying it is having to wait for them.

However, they phoned back a week later and told me that if we have lots of coins we can ask for a business bag and put all your coins in there (all bagged up), hand it over, they will then count them after hours and process the money the next day and that there was no way they would be getting a coinstar like machine in any branch :(

So no machines currently in your branch?
    Where about are you?

Has anybody spotted any of these machines anyhere else in London, apart from Canary Wharf?
    Thanks in advance!
    MR
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They got the cash ones, no coins. In High Wycombe :) pretty much a town but even so. If they already have them in London I can't imagine it costs loads to roll them out to other branches. :(
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mr1974 wrote: »
    Has anybody spotted any of these machines anyhere else in London, apart from Canary Wharf?

Yes, I've seen them in a few HSBC branches.

I think they fit them - if there is space - when HSBC upgrade/refurbish/open a branch.

Regards
    Sunil
  • ShelfStacker_3
    Options
    They had one in Truro branch last time I was there. Twas nice to get rid of some of the change from my holiday... ;)
  • username
    Options
    mr1974 wrote: »
    So no machines currently in your branch?
    Where about are you?

Thanks in advance!
    MR
    There's one of these coin machines in Surbiton and in the new one (where burger king used to be) in Kingston.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure