Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    but they don't actually know ;)
    That could be true, but using the return portion of a day return ticket during the morning peak could raise suspicions of an alert ticket examiner.

However, there is no such restriction for season tickets.
    So for your journey, a season ticket from B to A rather than from A to B may well be cheaper.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    but they don't actually know ;)
    They might, now you posted it ;)

For a same-day return, then I agree you are very likely to get away with it, but it's not actually valid.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    However, there is no such restriction for season tickets. So for your journey, a season ticket from B to A rather than from A to B may well be cheaper.

The "trick" works on (Super) Off-Peak flows, but seasons are the same price A->B, B->A aren't they (I've not seen any which aren't)?

I have seen the scenario where 5 Anytime Day Returns are cheaper than a season (especially going away from London in the morning and towards London in the evening).
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I actually only normally use the "home" rtn part of the ticket as its cheaper to buy an off peak return at £13.70 than buy a peak time single at £18.60 , the "out" to London half never gets used
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • yorkie2
    Options
    I actually only normally use the "home" rtn part of the ticket as its cheaper to buy an off peak return at £13.70 than buy a peak time single at £18.60 , the "out" to London half never gets used
    That's legit.

e.g. if you turn up at York station right now and ask for a single to Peterborough for immediate travel, you will be asked to part with a whopping £62 (the rail industry wants to deter passengers from making certain journeys by pricing the fares at unaffordable levels), but you can ask for a Peterborough to York return, immediately throw away the outward portion, use the return portion only and only pay £49.10.

There are all sorts of loopholes, in terms of pricing policies, pricing errors, routeing anomalies, easements, and much more, all over the country. Many people are able to save hundreds of pounds each year by using various entirely legitimate methods.
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello,

I've just found this oddity and hoped someone here might be able to explain. I've emailed the train company but it might be weeks before I get any kind of response.

I travel from London Stratford to Colchester Essex, and if I leave Stratford after 12noon I can buy a super off peak ticket. But it seems I cannot get the same ticket if starting in Colchester and travelling back to Stratford. The Greater Anglia website just doesn't offer the super off peak if travelling in that direction.

There's no mention of this being a restriction on their website but maybe I'm getting it wrong somehow... Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks all...
  • yorkie2
    Options
    They charge a higher fare to make a journey from Colchester to Stratford (and return) than the other way round, because of supply & demand and because they can get away with it.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's common enough - happens across the network.

There's no particular reason why fares should be the same both ways on any particular journey (and they're frequently not). Just a matter of charging what the operator thinks the market will bear.

Same logic applies to the vastly different prices charged by the same operator for same-length journeys between different locations.
  • miller
    Options
    Hello,

I've just found this oddity and hoped someone here might be able to explain. I've emailed the train company but it might be weeks before I get any kind of response.

I travel from London Stratford to Colchester Essex, and if I leave Stratford after 12noon I can buy a super off peak ticket. But it seems I cannot get the same ticket if starting in Colchester and travelling back to Stratford. The Greater Anglia website just doesn't offer the super off peak if travelling in that direction.

There's no mention of this being a restriction on their website but maybe I'm getting it wrong somehow... Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks all...

A similar restriction works when going from Colchester to London. The exact phrasing is:

Not valid on trains timed to arrive:

London Liverpool Street after
    04:29 and before 12:00;

Stratford (London) after 04:29
    and before 11:52

Have you tried putting in a later arrival time?

On a similar note SWT ticket machines can be overridden to offer super off peak tickets when they hide them by selecting "tickets for future travel" and putting in today's date & an acceptable time.
  • miller
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    Have you tried putting in a later arrival time?

I tried it; I can get the Greater Anglia website to off me a super off-peak single on Monday if travelling on the 11:12 from Colchester or later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure