Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably.

Only you can tell if you would use the benefits enough to make it worthwhile. As far as I can see the main disadvantage is having to shell out a year's ticket costs

Do check carefully what benefits will apply to you
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    South West Trains are still offering £15 returns (£5 children) to selected destinations until Friday 30th October:
    http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/summer.aspx
  • onceuponatyne
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I thought I had a solid understanding of trying to get cheap train fares, but it's not making a great deal of sense to me upon looking.

My dates aren't available yet, but as there's four of us travelling I want the cheapest possible prices.

It's Newcastle to Slough on March 4th (arriving 3pm or earlier) and heading back the next day, any time.

I did think it should be achievable to get an early booked return ticket for around £50? The 12 week advance ones I'm looking at that are currently available feel like nearly double that?

Thanks for any thoughts, I'm a bit of a noob!

Andy
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Consider splitting at Kings Cross and use the Virgin Trains East Coast (VTEC) site for an extra 25% off (it worked out at 26% for me when I tried bizarrely):
    https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/special-offers/travel-savings/savings-for-small-groups/#tab_1

You could actually book the Friday leg to Kings Cross now for 4 people for £86.20 on the 1000 from Newacastle (VTEC release advance tickets on their primary routes 24 weeks' ahead for Monday to Fridays), but would then need to risk getting cheap singles back on the Saturday when they are released (I personally would risk it):
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx

You'll then need to get from Kings Cross to Paddington (tube/bus using 4 contactless cards or Oyster) and 4 x £9.10 Anytime singles from Paddington to Slough (or £24 groupsave for 4) or buy travelcards if you do not want to do that (again groupsave may be available). That procedure would also need to be done for the Saturday to get back to Kings Cross. Consider doing this bit via a cashback website/GWR for the nectar points or just buy on the day(s).

If everything comes together, I'd estimate you could do it for £60 a person return.
  • crazyvish
    Options
    Hi,

I am here to see if anyone could help me to save some money on Train travel. I am a resident of Long Eaton and recently accepted a position in Birmingham. I am intending to travel to work Mon - Fri and some weekends by train. My work starts at 8am and finishes by 4pm. I have looked at carpool options but none exist from or near where I live.

I tried the trainticket splitter but it did not come up with anything :( . Could someone please advise me on the cheapest way to travel? Are there any railcards or passes for a 35yr old?

Anytime day return costs £18.40, is this the cheapest option available you think?

Thankyou.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    crazyvish wrote: »
    Hi,

I am here to see if anyone could help me to save some money on Train travel. I am a resident of Long Eaton and recently accepted a position in Birmingham. I am intending to travel to work Mon - Fri and some weekends by train. My work starts at 8am and finishes by 4pm. I have looked at carpool options but none exist from or near where I live.

I tried the trainticket splitter but it did not come up with anything :( . Could someone please advise me on the cheapest way to travel? Are there any railcards or passes for a 35yr old?

Anytime day return costs £18.40, is this the cheapest option available you think?

Thankyou.
    A seven day season ticket is £77.90 - a saving of £13.60 on a five day week - greater savings when you travel at weekends too.

Of course even bigger savings if you buy a monthly ticket.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends on how many days a week you will be travelling
    but a season ticket may be what you want rather than a railcard or pass

7 days £77.90

1 month £299.20

3 , 6 and 12 month options also available

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx has a season ticket calcularor

You will need an ID card the first time you buy one - just take a passport photo to the ticket office and they will issue one free
  • crazyvish
    Options
    Thank you very much wealdroam and dzug1
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get a Season for any period between 1 month & 1 year.

An Annual is best value if practicable, if not then consider purchasing Seasons in typically 5-week blocks, generally commencing on a Monday and finishing on a Friday, taking into account Bank Holidays and annual leave.
  • Panddanod
    Options
    I use CCT every so often to visit my son. They used to allow seat reservations to be made BEFORE finalising the booking. However, when I tried booking for my recent trip, things had changed on the site, and this " seat reservation if available" was in operation. I cannot possibly travel without knowing I have a seat booked, so I went to the train station to book. The assistant was able to see that seats were available and do the booking for me. A nuisance, I grant you, but probably the only way you will know for sure that you have a seat. Personally, I think it is very wrong to run the site this way. You now have to book and pay before knowing if there is a seat for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure