Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to tick the box to reserve a seat, if purchasing a flexible ticket.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    South West Trains are offering £15 returns (£5 children) to selected destinations between 26 January and 30 April (some dates excluded, tickets can be purchased from 21 January for travel from 26 January):
    http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/promotion.aspx#182317

It is worth checking the lengthy Terms & Conditions:
    http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Promotion-Terms-and-Conditions.aspx
  • PhilBecka
    Options
    Hi,

We're trying to book tickets from Newcastle to London going Sunday 3rd July around 2pm with an open super off peak return (need the flexibility on return in case of issues with flights).

We always wait for tickets to come online and search 12 weeks before we want to travel however virgin east coast now have tickets available up to 24 weeks... Does anyone know if these tickets are usually the best price or if we are best waiting till 12 weeks and the usual cheaper tickets are available?

Sorry for the long post! Thank you in advance for any help.
  • yorkie2
    Options
    PhilBecka wrote: »
    Hi,

We're trying to book tickets from Newcastle to London going Sunday 3rd July around 2pm with an open super off peak return (need the flexibility on return in case of issues with flights).

We always wait for tickets to come online and search 12 weeks before we want to travel however virgin east coast now have tickets available up to 24 weeks... Does anyone know if these tickets are usually the best price or if we are best waiting till 12 weeks and the usual cheaper tickets are available?

Sorry for the long post! Thank you in advance for any help.
    Super Off Peak Return price won't change.

Reservations only open approximately 12 weeks in advance on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

If you do not need flexibility on the outward portion, you could buy an Advance in that direction (when reservations are open) and a Super Off Peak Single in the other direction. Buy these from the VTEC site to get the latter at half the Super Off Peak Return rate.

You mention flights, but only talk about trains to London. What airport are you flying from and back to, and what means of transport are you using to get there?
  • AnorakNerd
    Options
    I am booking a trip from King's Cross to Skipton.
    I am planning to take the 12.35 from London to Leeds, because a friend is travelling on the same train. I will then change trains and take the next train to Skipton.

I have tried different websites for a single to ticket to Skipton. They all make me change at Leeds (which is fine). But only Raileasy lets me book onto the 12.35.

Even if I extend the platform changing time (using National Rail), the computers still assume that I will want to travel on the 12.05 or 13.05.

Is there a work around or should I be grateful that Raileasy gives me the option - but for a booking fee?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Raileasy isn't showing me the 1235 option

It shouldn't anyway - the connection at Leeds out of the 1235 is only 8 minutes - less than the minimum connecting time of 10 minutes. The next train connects with the 1305 from Kings Cross which is what you are expected to get.

Whether a station ticket office could do it - pass
  • dfurn
    dfurn Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AnorakNerd wrote: »
    I am booking a trip from King's Cross to Skipton.
    I am planning to take the 12.35 from London to Leeds, because a friend is travelling on the same train. I will then change trains and take the next train to Skipton.

I have tried different websites for a single to ticket to Skipton. They all make me change at Leeds (which is fine). But only Raileasy lets me book onto the 12.35.

Even if I extend the platform changing time (using National Rail), the computers still assume that I will want to travel on the 12.05 or 13.05.

Is there a work around or should I be grateful that Raileasy gives me the option - but for a booking fee?

Northern Rail, who operate the trains to Skipton from Leeds, don't have a proper seat reservation system like you might have experienced on East Coast. Just buy the London to Leeds ticket from any train company site and then buy a single from Leeds to Skipton again from any train company site. When you get to Leeds get on the next train to Skipton that you can get on. It might be cheaper that way anyhow buying two tickets that is.
  • AnorakNerd
    Options
    Thank you very much for this. I can explain how to get the 12.35 on RailEasy. I asked for extra changing time and also asked to go via Leeds.

But it does not work on NationalRail.co.uk.

What I do not understand is why the computer chooses which trains I must travel on. However, a good tip about going to a ticket office. I will advise forumites of my success (if any).
  • AnorakNerd
    Options
    A single advance ticket London-Skipton costs £15.

A single to Leeds costs £14.50 and the single to Skipton costs £9.40.

So it seems to pay to buy a single through ticket.
  • yorkie2
    Options
    AnorakNerd wrote: »
    So it seems to pay to buy a single through ticket.
    A through fare is likely to be the best value, for travel on Virgin Trains East Coast, when lower tiers are available, yes.

It's a very different story for travel on CrossCountry (XC) though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure