Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• 3Raymo
    Options
    Hi all,

I don't know if anyone can help, but my problem is this. I commute every day from Ashford International to London St Pancras on the high speed service. The cost of a weekly ticket is just under £156, plus I have to pay for parking at £29.70 per week.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can bring the cost down? I've tried split ticketing etc but I simply cannot find any way to bring it down. I don't qualify for railcards etc as I travel at peak times.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. It's painful buying a ticket be it for 1 week or 1 month.

Thanks very much
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2017 at 10:47PM
    Options
    3Raymo wrote: »
    Hi all,

I don't know if anyone can help, but my problem is this. I commute every day from Ashford International to London St Pancras on the high speed service. The cost of a weekly ticket is just under £156, plus I have to pay for parking at £29.70 per week.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can bring the cost down? I've tried split ticketing etc but I simply cannot find any way to bring it down. I don't qualify for railcards etc as I travel at peak times.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. It's painful buying a ticket be it for 1 week or 1 month.

Thanks very much
    Start buying monthly tickets.
    Season tickets can be bought at the monthly rate for any period from one month to one year.
    Buy tickets for just over one month, starting on a Monday and ending on a Friday, thus avoiding paying for unwanted
    weekend travel for one weekend in five.
    For example, buy a ticket starting Monday 9 January and ending on Friday 10 February. Your next ticket should start
    on Monday 13 February.
    Extrapolate that process to avoid paying for bank holidays, annual holidays and other planned absences.
    It does take a bit of planning but the savings are significant.

Consider other routes.
    By not travelling on the High Speed services, a saving of around the price of your car parking can be made.
    Of course it will take longer, but everything is a compromise.

Consider getting a cheap bike and cycling to the station.
    Should be able to buy a very good secondhand bike on ebay for less than one month's car parking.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    So 3Raymo, you've read my suggestions.
    Any comment?
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Cannot find anywhere on TransPennine website "off peak" time restrictions. Can anyone help me?
    SallyD
  • wealdroam
    Options
    SallyD wrote: »
    Cannot find anywhere on TransPennine website "off peak" time restrictions. Can anyone help me?
    On their tickets explained webpage it says:
    Off Peak

The travel restrictions will depend on the journey you are making and will be advised when you buy your ticket.
    In simple terms this means that it depends on the journey you are making and it is not a fixed time restriction for every journey.

Their journey planner, and all other journey planners, will only offer off peak tickets for trains where they are valid.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    For Huddersfield to Manchester Airport, assuming it's an Off Peak Return the relevant restriction text is:

OUTWARD TRAVEL
    All trains are barred which
    are due to arrive at
    Manchester STNS (Deansgate,
    Piccadilly, Oxford Road or
    Victoria) before 0930.

So as Wealdroam says, that will vary according to the particular train.
  • SallyD
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I am confused or daft but I have bought an off peak open return for a Monday 14.11 departure. I will be looking to get a train back after 18.00 a week later. I am collecting tickets from Station on the day. My confirmation email gives no indication of the time after which I can travel only says on website if you travel on an off peak ticket during peak time you will have to pay difference. Okay I understand that bit but what is the cut off time. I thought I would email TransPennine but website tells me due to high demand a reply may take up to 28 days! Looks like I will go and print tickets before the day of travel to see what is printed on them.
    SallyD
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SallyD wrote: »
    I am confused or daft but I have bought an off peak open return for a Monday 14.11 departure. I will be looking to get a train back after 18.00 a week later. I am collecting tickets from Station on the day. My confirmation email gives no indication of the time after which I can travel only says on website if you travel on an off peak ticket during peak time you will have to pay difference. Okay I understand that bit but what is the cut off time. I thought I would email TransPennine but website tells me due to high demand a reply may take up to 28 days! Looks like I will go and print tickets before the day of travel to see what is printed on them.
    It was posted above, and can also be found here: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=HUD&dest=MIA&tkt=SVR
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    AIUI penalty fares etc. do not apply to excesses from off-peak/super off-peak to anytime so you would be able to pay the difference on board; in any case the trains quoted are fine.

As well as the very useful lnk yorkie2 has quoted, some tickets also print the restriction URL on the front, which in this case should be:
    https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/2M
  • SallyD
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Thank you. I get it now.Appreciate the web links.
    SallyD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport