Multiple fines from DVLA

Options
miracleboy
miracleboy Posts: 33 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
First of all, I know I broke the rules and so should pay the fine but it seems I have been very heavily punished and multiple times for the same thing.

Originally, I forgot to renew my car tax and so the DVLA fined me £80. When I checked I realised my MOT was due very soon, but the windscreen needed replacing before I could get it done.

At this point I was very short of money, but I managed to just pay the £80 fine and told them I would need to SORN the car as I didn't have any more money.

Stupidly I left the car on the road outside the house, thinking it would be okay (and not having anywhere else to put it anyway). Anyway, it was clamped for which I had to pay £100 release fee and £160 surety (refunded).

I had to borrow the money to get it released and to pay for the MOT and tax the same day so it wasn't re-clamped (and so I could reclaim the surety).

And now I have received a letter from the DVLA saying they are fining me £256 for the same offence, saying this is their fine and this is seperate to the one I have already paid for the release!

Do they really think that the solution to me not having enough money in the first place is to keep on adding to my debts and that this will improve the situation?!

So basically the whole process for forgetting the tax has cost me;

Back tax £124
Tax fine £80
Release fee £100
Surety £160
Current tax £124
DVLA fine £256

This just stinks to me like a bloody racket and nothing short of extortion. And what if I can't afford to pay (which I can't), oh yes, let's fine him some more! :mad:

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would have had to pay the tax and back tax anyway, and you stated the surety was refunded, so you're down to the fine for not having tax, the release fee and fine for leaving an SORNed vehicle on the road.

It would seem you can't afford to run a car.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    The clue in SORN is OR which stands for Off Road in other words not on the public highway.

I would have though this belonged on the Rants board but I don't think you'll get any sympathy there either.
  • UglyJoe
    UglyJoe Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    miracleboy wrote: »
    First of all, I know I broke the rules and so should pay the fine but it seems I have been very heavily punished and multiple times for the same thing.

Originally, I forgot to renew my car tax and so the DVLA fined me £80. When I checked I realised my MOT was due very soon, but the windscreen needed replacing before I could get it done.

At this point I was very short of money, but I managed to just pay the £80 fine and told them I would need to SORN the car as I didn't have any more money.

Stupidly I left the car on the road outside the house, thinking it would be okay (and not having anywhere else to put it anyway). Anyway, it was clamped for which I had to pay £100 release fee and £160 surety (refunded).

I had to borrow the money to get it released and to pay for the MOT and tax the same day so it wasn't re-clamped (and so I could reclaim the surety).

And now I have received a letter from the DVLA saying they are fining me £256 for the same offence, saying this is their fine and this is seperate to the one I have already paid for the release!

Do they really think that the solution to me not having enough money in the first place is to keep on adding to my debts and that this will improve the situation?!

So basically the whole process for forgetting the tax has cost me;

Back tax £124
    Tax fine £80
    Release fee £100
    Surety £160
    Current tax £124
    DVLA fine £256

This just stinks to me like a bloody racket and nothing short of extortion. And what if I can't afford to pay (which I can't), oh yes, let's fine him some more! :mad:

Why not explain it to the judge?
    They love dealing with this type of matter.

Don't forget your toothbrush ;)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sell the car.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree op - the amount of money this is adding up to is an absolute joke! However there's not really much you can do about it now!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    DVLA won't back down, they're very good at extracting money from tax paying citizens, not so good at tracking down people who have no tax or insurance and register cars to fake addresses.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmmm

A windscreen is not that expensive.

If you had the money to pay all those extra costs then you could have had the windscreen done.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    basic lesson for modern motoring.

Get your house in order LOOOONG before the bills are due.

If you fail to pay by due date you'll be sent through a bureaucratic nightmare.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

No, they think that there are clear rules which apply to everyone and that there are standard penalties for those who don't follow the rules.

I get that it is frustrating for you but paying for things such as Tax, MoTand maintenance are part of the normal costs of running a car. if you can't afford the costs of owning a car then your best bet is probably to sell it.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pots and kettles there?

A lesson in Tax your vehicle but lie to your insurer?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure