PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have spent a fair few hours this afternoon/evening decluttering a "wall" of stuff that has been sitting in my front room for a few months:a filing box,full of files that need to be sorted,a box of random papers,to be shredded/filed,box of bits to either donate or take to tip.And when I was tidying up the front room to put up the Christmas tree,I also rounded up a whole lot of papers to be sorted,and put those there as well.
    So today I have been trying to sort through those.Alot of paper put out for recycling,which I will count as 5,so 55-59.
    60:
    I also put out for recycling,a box that contained a day-light.Now,I bought that day-light about 7-8 years ago,and kept the box "just incase".My 15yo daughter is now using it as her study-lamp,the chance of me ever needing this box is next to nil,so am about to put it out for recycling.I don't usually count day-to-day recycling/rubbish on my count,but the fact that this box has been hanging around for so long,means it really was decluttered :j.
    Also in the wall of stuff is a few plastic toys that I am finally ready to get rid of.I have set them aside for the next time I go to the tip,and will add them to my list when they leave tthe house.
    It is lovely seeing so many new faces around here.Welcome,everyone,and happy decluttering :).
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Saver-upper
    Options
    Sa1sysoo wrote: »
    Had an embarrassing moment there. I hadn't subscribed to the thread - yes, the one I set up - so thought I may have been doing this challenge on my own! :o:D

haha[1].gif

We are glad you found us,Sa1sysoo :D

• 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    This morning have donated a couple of bits from the kitchen and returned a piece of clothing while at the shops. Also emptied a bag that has been lying for months and got rid of that. Big item from the garage away to the dump just now - going to count as 2!
    17/2018
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have done some more but will do more tomorrow.

10-22 cutlery. I kept it to one side over Christmas and we didn't need them so out of the house they are.

23 magazine in the reccling.
  • galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday
    15) carrier bag of paper from hall window ledge
    16,17) two cans of lager left over from a barbecue given to son in law
    18) hairdryer with damaged cable
    19) cloth bag
    20) nylon bag
    21) cottage ornament

Nothing today as I started back to work and am shattered.
  • 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    This afternoon sorted through a box and threw a few small bits in the recycling. Also got rid of a magazine and a couple of bags that had found their way into a drawer instead of the bins! Started a bag for the charity shop with 2 pairs of shoes and a jumper, but will count these when I finish filling it and drop it off.
    21/2018
  • Saver-upper
    Options
    This morning I sent one of my 11yo to school with a bag of stuff to donate to reception classes.The teachers are always so appreciative of any resources I have donated over the years,so that makes me feel good.
    In the bag was:
    61:Guess Who game
    62:box of assorted beads
    63-66:bags of beads
    67-68:2 bags of googley eyes
    69:bag of 8 Melissa and Doug stamps
    70:unopened bag of fluorescent cardboard pieces
    71-72:spare underpants

• Whatshername
    Options
    Noel phobic - sorry can’t seem to quote on my phone lol
    Charity shops around here seem to be a little fussy about what they take. Once took a box of reasonably good items to 4 different ones and nobody would accept as bric a brac. Can see their point about not selling though.

Not much sorting yesterday so need to get back on the wagon today if the kids will give me two mins to get some done :rotfl:

Need to weigh some items to work out postage costs for eBay so hopefully get that done today as well as sell some books I have lying around collecting dust
    #030 Sealed Pot 2019 Challenge - Declare 31st Oct
    #064 Pay debts by Xmas 2019 Challenge - £3390/ £3390 :money:
    #015 £2 savers club 2019 - target £200
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2018 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    But if it won't sell at a car boot will it sell from a charity shop? We have to be careful about dumping unsellable items on charity shops which increase their costs as they have to dispose of them, just to avoid our own guilty feelings about throwing things away.

That's a good point but sometimes items don't sell in car boot sales even though they're in good condition. For example, books may not sell well at a car boot but the charity shop may still be happy to take them. I took a brand new book to a charity shop yesterday. I'd ordered two by mistake and it was more trouble than it was worth to send it back or attempt to sell it.

One of the shops by me only takes books or clothes. I don't like the staff/ethos of the shop so I don't take anything there now. Another shop nearby has told me they take 'anything'. They're happy to take broken suitcases as they ship goods abroad and can tape the suitcases up. They also take old phones, chargers and candles, which other shops may not be interested in.

I certainly wouldn't advocate taking any old fat to a charity shop. Apart from anything else, I would be too embarrassed to go back to the same shop.

It's also worth asking individual shops what they do and don't take.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    8) several rolls/sheets of Xmas paper

Put these in recycling bin. Most of it had never been used but was crumpled/dusty and I have better.

Organised the rest of the paper/cards/tags and other Xmas paraphernalia into 2 bags ready to go in the loft. DS would usually go up in the loft for me but we're not on the best of terms at the moment, sadly :(

9) broken clothes hanger, binned

10/11) pairs of socks, brand new, with tags still on
    12/20) books
    21/26) rulers - five of them! -one of the shops by me sends some of their donations abroad, to children in the third world, including pens, pencils etc. I'd forgotten, otherwise I would have taken them there.
    27) stencil
    28) unopened pack of 3 scented stashes for drawers etc

Above to charity shop.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business