I've quit everything. Now what ?

Options

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning AC. I think it is wise to have a break from painting full out all week. When I was younger I used to just keep going but now I find I can't do it anymore. Painting the fence on Sunday wiped me out for the following day but I was ok by Tuesday. It's just a matter of pacing oneself.
    It's good that you are getting quotes for bathroom but please be sure you check the people/companies out. Anyone can sign up to Rated People or Check a Trade - that is no guarantee that they are good at what they do. Our council has a site under their Trading Services dept. (Approved Trader) which gives a bit more confidence. Might be worth looking into. To be honest, when tradesmen "encourage" me to pay cash I hear alarm bells. It usually means they are trying to avoid putting it through their books, and while I make no moral judgement on tax/vat avoidance, it can mean there is little comeback if there are problems, as they are often reluctant to issue an invoice or proof of work. It's ok if you know and trust the people, but as you don't know anyone down there please be wary. Obviously many people are ok but unfortunately the dodgy ones don't look or sound any different.
    When I had my bathroom done 4 years ago (bath removed, shower cubicle installed and new loo/basin, plus all plasterwork and wall/floor tiling, and rubbish removed) the cost was around £6k, and took 2 guys 3-4 days. I was still working then so was out of the house most of the day but they made sure I had a working toilet each night.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Lurker here I second bath store too they have fitters they recommend ours was brilliant. Be vary of rated people I've used them before and they were fine but last time got three quotes two from rated people and they were within £100 of each other (paint a three bed house) but the personal recommendation not on ratepeople came in a third less of the price. Good luck I'm sure it will be a lovely home soon Poole is a great place to live.

Thanks tall girl ( with nice cats ) :)

Yeah, gotta be careful . See below my thoughts
    Thanks
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hi dreaming :)
    Age can be a terrible tlhing . It kinda dictates what we can and can't do :( You are right in what you say , about pacing myself .
    Trying to keep ontop of things , I would rather have the living room and the 2 bedrooms painted before I get the bathroom done .
    It keeps me focused ,and tbh I don't want to have a stop /start situation having to do the rooms after the bathroom has been done.
    That said, I'm not gonna try and tear around the place just to finish on a timescale and regret the bodge job afterwords :)

So this morning, feeling groggy around 7.30 I get a text from rated people. Shortly after that , a phone call from nice Eastern European .
    He is coming at 12 noon to assess.

Just as I'm having my breakfast , another text and a polite call from a nice lady who will send a guy tomorrow 2pm.
    Waiting for no.3 to contact me .
    The first guy I saw yesterday , was from a shower company in the Poole/ Bournemouth area. So we'll see.

The main job I have in hand , that can be done over the Easter :
    Touch up hallway and gas room .Longest that will,take is about three quarters of an hour . I must admit doing that hallway cheered me up no end . The hallway looks much brighter and somehow a little bigger.
    Being white , it probably would .

Myself and the shower guy were talking about my flat .
    I did say the other flat I'm in now is great, except for the paper thin ceilings . For the last couple of days, mrs. Mother has her 2 children / babies running around upstairs . Not too bad in fairness , but I wouldn't want it all the time .

In my own flat, there are a couple of Indian children who play football now and again. The odd run up the stairs etc. But the foundations of the place seem to block out most of the noise.
    Most of the time , it seems very quiet. Fingers crossed .

I may venture over to my friends later and pickup post.
    May sneak a beer or 2 over the Easter . So far, I've done the right and decent thing since being here and am giving them space.
    So far so good all around I guess :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's difficult finding trades, especially when you move to a new area.

I didn't get on well with rated people. I do think personal recommendation is best.

What about your friends Who live locally, especially the one who is a designer. He should have a nice little black book (or some other colour:rotfl:) full of the names of "little treasures".

Then once you have found one you like and trust you can ask them for recommendations. I.e.find A good plumber and take it from there.

Re your quote for your bathroom.....sounds about right, especially if it's a it of an awkward fit and you need to change things round a bit.

We had to resite the loo....only a matter of inches but it entailed moving the soil pipe etc.

Re-positioning sanitary ware, moving pipework can really rack up the costs but if it gives you a more workable layout then it will be worth it in the long run.

The other thing is it's only when you start ripping out that the full extent of what is actually required becomes apparent, so don't forget to add a contingency to your budget - just in case.

You just never know what nasties are going to be unearthed.

I have a nice gentle weekend planned. Further decluttering, made a start already. I tend not to venture far over the bank holidays. I like to avoid the crowded roads, heaving shops etc.

I think we might stagger as far as the local cinema one night to see the new Morgan Freeman/Michael Caine film the title of which escapes me:rotfl: and grab a bit of supper but other than that nothing planned.

Happy Easter y'all. :D
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks LL :)
    TBH , I was hoping to get the guy who I saw regarding, my boiler a while back(it would've been his dad actually ). Unfortunately , he is away until 1st may . It would be too tight timewise to wait imho.

What I think I'll do is not rush into anything, unless I feel comfortable with the person. I looked at the bathstore website , but it was busy.
    I was no. 1 in the que for live chat but it took an eternity .
    When I went to the genie , it looked expensive , but that was a loose estimate that was done online pressing a few buttons.
    If someone will visit, I'll make an appointment .

It looks like I will be cagey and not just think about the first initial batch. I'll give myself time and hopefully get it right .

Enjoy the film LL , if you decide to go :)
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Speaking of Easter bunnies, I don't know if you heard about that simply red bloke mick hucknall.
    Apparently , he appeared in court for doing naughty things to a rabbit
    He was caught holding back the ears .

Anyway happy Easter everyone
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Phew - just back from supermarket. Is it the end of the world as we know it, or just another bank holiday (they tend not to have too much meaning when you don't work any more)? And much as I love children (I do, I do, but I couldn't eat a whole one) why do their parents not tell them that a busy supermarket is not really a ood place to whizz up and down the aisles on their wheely-trainers? Grump, grump, grump - will have to eat a hot cross bun to cheer me up.
    Eldest has told me that she plans to move out in the next few weeks so is busy de-cluttering her room. It is only a small room (about 10ft x 11ft) but I think she has more "stuff" in there than I have in the rest of the bungalow. I have mixed feelings about it as she still has some problems she needs to get sorted but I can't help looking forward to having some space. Her father (my ex-H) is coming round next week so we can all sit together to go over our concerns. Last time I saw him I felt like throttling him so will have to sit on my hands.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Dreaming , hope things go better than anticipated .
    If your ex gets truly unbearable , try putting laxative in his dessert .
    ( then again maybe not, don't want to get myself banned ).

So I saw builder 2 .. wow ! I think he maybe Turkish . I always get on with Turkish people . Great humour etc:) I'm good friends with aturkish d j
    So, he has 2 guys . He seemed way better than the guy yesterday .
    He offered to do the kitchen also . He said more or less he would do both for about £8 k . He could eventually do carpet and even painting
    He has so much enthusiasm .
    I like the fact that he wants to show me the flat he did that was just like mine . Also he wants me to go with him to choose everything in the store with him ..
    He wants to start weds and Thursday .
    Must say he sounds good . I'll see if tomorrow is as good
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 April 2017 at 1:38PM
    Options
    I know I sound horrible and I don't want to burst your euphoria bubble but it's generally not a good sign that tradespeople are available at the drop of a hat.

"CAn do it next week" would have alarm bells ringing for me, sorry.
    Don't mean to be negative, but do be careful.

The best tradespeople are like the best doctors.....they have long waiting lists!!!l.

If it's a job like a bathroom or kitchen then I sometimes have to wait several months for my go to guy. If it's just a little thing then he'll slot me in between his bigger jobs, often at very short notice. I don't mind, he's worth the wait and if it is very short notice and I am committed to being out of house then I'm quite happy to give him a key and leave him to it.

Just had a happy hour tackling my wardrobes, supervised by the moggie. Can't do any more because he's decided he's tired and is currently spreadeagled on my bed so now I can't finish up in there. Good excuse for a coffee break.

Got a nice pile for the charity shops but will just load it up in the car for now. I'm not venturing out on the roads today. It will be chaos. Likewise the supermarkets. Easter chocolate was purchased a couple of weeks ago so that's the really important stuff taken care of.

(Not for me ....for the kids, they might be in their 30s but they would be mortified if they didn't get eggs and choccy bunnies). We are all still big kids at heart.

Loving the Mick Hucknall bunny joke. :D

Dreaming.....like you I will not set foot in a supermarket or shopping mall during a bank holiday. I even avoid them at the weekend if I possibly can. I appreciate if you are working full time you have no choice and of course you can't always leave the kids behind. I do feel sorry for folk dragging round the supermarkets, kids in tow. Definitely not my idea of fun.

My kids were a nightmare when they were little.

True story......I once managed to go to Asda by myself. A huge out of town complex which you would think would be pretty anonymous and no one would remember you. . It was such a pleasure to be toddler free and I was enjoying it so much I decided to go for a cup of coffee. The lady who served me recognised me and said "where are your children today, they are such naughty boys aren't they" .......oh the shame!!! :rotfl:

I guess they must have made quite an impression (for all the wrong reasons).......

I bet you'll miss your DD when she leaves. I sobbed buckets when mine flew the nest but they came back.

My wise old mum once told me.

"Our children are not ours to keep, we only get to borrow them for a while". Very true.

All we can do is trust them. If we have done a good job they will be fine and more to the point they will stay in touch, coming back for visits and letting us remain a part of their lives. If we cling and try to hold on too long we stifle them and clip their wings. We have to let go and let them fly.

It can be hard to let go but If we get it right they come back as friends and equals. (And not naughty boys!!!) ;)
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Speaking of Easter bunnies, I don't know if you heard about that simply red bloke mick hucknall.
    Apparently , he appeared in court for doing naughty things to a rabbit
    He was caught holding back the ears .

Anyway happy Easter everyone
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills