Comments

• Space_Captain
    Options
    Currently on
    Sky Broadband Unlimited - FREE
    Sky Talk Line Rental £17.40
    Sky Talk Line Rental Discounted - £10.00
    Total £7.40

That deal was ending in August so I rang first and then used online chat to cut a deal for another 12 months. Have accepted
    Sky Broadband Unlimited £2.50
    Sky Talk Line Rental £18.99
    £50 credit to my account
    They wouldn't go any lower than this and I have been happy overall with the broadband service.

I might go for the fibre option next year.
  • dondo
    dondo Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Right- maybe a bit of a daft question but will ask anyway

I have a discounted deal (not as good as some posted on here though) and am out of contract in the middle of next month and am more than happy to cancel TV (need broadband for work)in order to get a better deal.

My question is- do I have to wait until after my contract expiry date to cancel and, therefore, pay a non-discounted rate until my cancellation kicks in and I'm cut off?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dondo wrote: »
    Right- maybe a bit of a daft question but will ask anyway

I have a discounted deal (not as good as some posted on here though) and am out of contract in the middle of next month and am more than happy to cancel TV (need broadband for work)in order to get a better deal.

My question is- do I have to wait until after my contract expiry date to cancel and, therefore, pay a non-discounted rate until my cancellation kicks in and I'm cut off?

Thanks

No, you can schedule a cancellation at the end of your minimum term at any time. The trick is convincing the person you're speaking to that you can do this as they'd rather pass your request on to someone else as it affects their retention stats.

In your case that wouldn't be a problem anyway.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Spent an hour on Sky Live Chat! They finally came up with a "fantastic" deal which was £58 a month instead of £62 but for less packages and functions! Told them to proceed with cancellation so we will see if I get any other offers! Otherwise I get switched off on August 11th.

as repeated numerous times on literally every page in this thread, dont waste time 'threatening to cancel' in the hope they will offer you a better deal. No need to spend an hour 'cancelling' at all. Just simply cancel, and reject any deal they give you and say you dont have time and would like to proceed with cancelling.

Its only AFTER you get switched off, that you get the really good deals.
  • Niki_Wright
    Options
    Major success in haggling, but "they made a mistake"......
    Back in March when Sky raised their prices, I followed Martin's tips on haggling and managed to get a great deal that I was happy with which consisted of: Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited (discounted by £10 a month) sky talk (pay when you use it) and sky line rental, discounted to £12.40 a month. I said I didn't want any TV at all, but the sky advisor offered me a free Sky + subscription (which I think was for a year). This meant that I would be paying £22.40 a month. They sent me a letter confirming that the Broadband, talk and rental packages were for 18 months.
    Having now done my quarterly accounting, I have discovered that they are charging me £10 for the Sky + subscription. When I rang Sky and told an advisor I didn't want the TV package, she said my broadband and line rental price would have to go up as the offer I was given was not valid. I even spoke to a Manager and she said she had no button that she could press to offer the original price, and that as they had made a mistake, I can leave my contract. I don't want to leave - I just want what was promised to start with! Can they do this mid contract?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back in March when Sky raised their prices, I followed Martin's tips on haggling and managed to get a great deal that I was happy with which consisted of: Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited (discounted by £10 a month) sky talk (pay when you use it) and sky line rental, discounted to £12.40 a month. I said I didn't want any TV at all, but the sky advisor offered me a free Sky + subscription (which I think was for a year). This meant that I would be paying £22.40 a month. They sent me a letter confirming that the Broadband, talk and rental packages were for 18 months.
    Having now done my quarterly accounting, I have discovered that they are charging me £10 for the Sky + subscription. When I rang Sky and told an advisor I didn't want the TV package, she said my broadband and line rental price would have to go up as the offer I was given was not valid. I even spoke to a Manager and she said she had no button that she could press to offer the original price, and that as they had made a mistake, I can leave my contract. I don't want to leave - I just want what was promised to start with! Can they do this mid contract?

I remember others on the forum saying that they had been offered SKY+ recording facilities free of charge (without a Sky TV Contract) when they renewed phone/broadband deals - so sounds like they're stitching you up - unless that was only offered for customers who paid full price for line rental??
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options

use the letter as proof of what they agreed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    as repeated numerous times on literally every page in this thread, dont waste time 'threatening to cancel' in the hope they will offer you a better deal. No need to spend an hour 'cancelling' at all. Just simply cancel, and reject any deal they give you and say you dont have time and would like to proceed with cancelling.

Its only AFTER you get switched off, that you get the really good deals.

Depending on your definition of a 'really good deal' you can get a very decent offer without switching off, although there's no doubt that you really do need to schedule a cancellation to get anywhere. I got 60% and £50(?) credit over a month before my switch off.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    use the letter as proof of what they agreed.

Sky are not disputing what was offered, they're saying they can't give them the BB discount without paying the £10 for Sky+ functionality.
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a proactive letter from Sky today telling me my current offers are ending and they've put me on new offers for 12 months with no contract.

Its a clever idea, as it seems reasonable I'm tempted to avoid the hassle of trying to get more off them. Last year I went through with the cancellation until they offered a decent deal.

I was on Discounted line rental currently 7.40 increasing to 9.49
    Fibre unlimited currently 10 increasing to 12
    Variety pack was 12.80 increasing to 16
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family