Child maintenance

Options

Comments

• maggut
    maggut Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I was getting £50 a week at one time for my son from his 'father' through the CSA,it was supposed to be weekly although i didnt always get it every week. I to used to rely on this money and if he didnt pay it it would leave me in a right state,i spent so much time on the phone to the CSA about it but when they chased him about it they just put it on his arrears rather than making him pay it straight off. He then decided to get a huge 3 bedroom house that would stretch him to the max so his maintenance would go down (he has another child now) he is up to his neck in debt now (ha haa) i get just £5.95 a week for my son now,but at least the worry of relying on his money has gone,its actually left me much less stressed and when the money does arrive in my bank (still not weekly) i just transfer it straight to my sons account. Its not like its even enough to buy him shoes or an outfit. On one hand it makes me angry that he gets away with not providing,but on the other hand i dont have to share my special boy with him and thats worth more than any amount of his money.
    Share a smile today :D
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maggut wrote:
    I was getting £50 a week at one time for my son from his 'father' through the CSA,it was supposed to be weekly although i didnt always get it every week. I to used to rely on this money and if he didnt pay it it would leave me in a right state,i spent so much time on the phone to the CSA about it but when they chased him about it they just put it on his arrears rather than making him pay it straight off. He then decided to get a huge 3 bedroom house that would stretch him to the max so his maintenance would go down (he has another child now) he is up to his neck in debt now (ha haa) i get just £5.95 a week for my son now,but at least the worry of relying on his money has gone,its actually left me much less stressed and when the money does arrive in my bank (still not weekly) i just transfer it straight to my sons account. Its not like its even enough to buy him shoes or an outfit. On one hand it makes me angry that he gets away with not providing,but on the other hand i dont have to share my special boy with him and thats worth more than any amount of his money.

Why don't you ask for an assessment under the new rules? This will not take into account his mortgage or any debts. He will have to pay you 15% of his net income regardless of outgoings (though I think a small reduction is made on this if he has another child).
    If he doesn't pay on time you can ask for a deductions of earnings order after two missed payments. I do agree though, the CSA are a hassle.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Prudent wrote:
    I am wondering if I was that poster. I was indeed in that position and did post about it. My ex declared an income of £38,000 to the CSA in the first year I claimed. In fact his income was £52,00 in that year. As I receive 15% of his after tax income, I was missing a bit chunk of the money I was due. I took the assessment to appeal and showed through his P60 and bank statements (which showed a lifestyle totally inconsistnet with his stated earnings) that he earned far more. I obtained these as the result of a court action over another matter in our separation.
    However as he is still misleading the CSA, they now assess his income via the p60. they will do this on request. My ex never sends them a pay slip showing his bonus and these vary. Last year the p60 showed earnings of £57,000 so my money was increased. I will request they do the same again this year.
    Thanks for that Prudent. Friend concerned doesn't have a PC so i'll print off and show her that she can get as assessment via a P60.
  • maggut
    maggut Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Prudent wrote:
    Why don't you ask for an assessment under the new rules? This will not take into account his mortgage or any debts. He will have to pay you 15% of his net income regardless of outgoings (though I think a small reduction is made on this if he has another child).
    If he doesn't pay on time you can ask for a deductions of earnings order after two missed payments. I do agree though, the CSA are a hassle.
    Thanks,he already has a deduction of earnings but the old bag who does the wages doesnt see why he should pay,so she has also had warnings against her about it.
    As for asking about an assessment under the new rules.....i wasnt aware we could do that,i just thought that was something that happened for new clients. Then i have to ask myself...do i really need the grief?
    Share a smile today :D
  • one-non-blonde
    Options
    Prudent wrote:

As far as I'm aware (and I would LOVE to be proved wrong) you can't ask to be assessed under the new rules as they only apply to new applications. :confused:
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • sunflower_2
    sunflower_2 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    this is true

although they can just decide to take you off the old system and chuck you onto the new one at any time that suits them or the payer

in my opinion, my ex figured out (with an insider in the CSA) that he would pay less and persuaded them to change it

this was before they got their heads together and came up with the ingenious idea of "joint custody"

GGGGRRRRRR

its so annoying !!!!!

:mad:
  • gasplug
    gasplug Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    The CSA will take into account all earnings that the "Absent Parent" makes including bonuses, overtime etc.
    a weekend wasted is never a wasted weekend
    :beer:
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sunflower wrote:

this was before they got their heads together and came up with the ingenious idea of "joint custody"

Have you got a Residency Order from the court? Why not keep a record of exactly how many nights you have the kids and how many he does? They can't invent joint custody if it doesn't happen like that. Why not get a Citizens Advice person to help you with this?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The CSA guide to how payments are calculated can be found HERE
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • catbash
    Options
    i have had my daughter living with me since SEPT 04 and my son lives with his mum.im a student at the moment but when i qualify at the end of the year will i have to pay my ex-wife csa payments even though my son stays over night with me...I sometimes think that the csa is geared towards the mother.she works yet i dont get anything off her for my daughter..have tried to speak to the csa but theyre about much use as a choclate fireguard......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure