PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Visions of the two cats with their heads hanging low sulking:rotfl:. It "adds insult to injury" after trying to put Boy Cat into his own little lifejacket:rotfl:

How remiss of him not to appreciate your efforts on his behalf:cool:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Popping this up as it is a good CFO recipe using bits many folk have on hand. Any LO sauce can be watered down slightly for a quick one portion soup
    Pasta with pea sauce & crispy bacon

1 small mug + 2 tablespoons frozen (or fresh) peas
    1/2 pint stock (I'm using chicken made up from a stock pot)
    1/2 a medium onion chopped small
    1 clove garlic sliced (or equivalent of powder/granules)
    1/2 tsp herbs (I'm using thyme but mint works well and bog standard mixed is fine)
    1 portion pasta of your choice ( I'm using macaroni) cook as per instructions
    2-3 rashers bacon (I'm using streaky)
    Grated cheese (I'm using parmesan) optional
    salt & pepper to taste

Fry bacon until crispy - leave aside and crumble into pieces. Soften onion & garlic in the bacon fat, add stock & herbs and cook gently until the onion is well cooked. Add the mug of peas and cook for a few minutes. Blitz/blend until smooth or mash if you don't have one. If to thick add a little water, if too thin cook a bit more. Salt & pepper to taste. A minute or so before the pasta is cooked add the 2 tablespoons of peas to the pasta pot drain.
    Mix sauce, pasta, peas & bacon sprinkle with grated cheese.:D
  • caronc
    Options

I suspect I may need some oily fish so it may be that smoked mackerel pate should be on the menu for lunch.
    That should get you back in the cats' good books if you share ;):)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Breakfast - overnight oats, chia seeds and blueberries.
    Lunch - fruit and fruit and nut bar (HM).
    Dinner - sweet and sour tofu vegetables with rice and nori.
    Drinks - water, coffee, mint tea and I may have a screwdriver (vodka and orange juice) later.

OH made the sweet and sour tofu vegetables for me. There are 3 portions with portioned rice in take away containers. So no worrying about dinner for the next few days. Just add a bit of water so the rice doesn't dry out and bung in the microwave.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Good evening all. No internet all day due to upgrading of the network so have just caught up on the thread.

Caronc That recipe is great and one I've copied to keep. I love pasta and was thinking of something to cook with left over chicken as I'm having a roast chicken dinner tomorrow evening. I'll add the chicken to the sauce. Thank you.

I cannot leave treaty things alone until they're gone so don't buy too many. It usually works ok as I shop monthly so if I eat all the sweet stuff in the first week I don't have any for the rest of the month. Quite self regulating really :D

No breakfast as usual today. Lunch was an egg and tomato sandwich and dinner was a portion of quiche that I froze a while ago, new potatoes and salad. I deliberately cooked too many new potatoes as I'm making frittata on Friday night. I like to deliberately create leftovers that can be used in other planned meals.
  • steffiraf
    steffiraf Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good evening. I've lurked for a very long time as you can probably tell, but feel compelled to post. Have been single a very long time and i hate cooking/eating fruit and veg. I really struggle with cooking for one. I have decided given that i have an enforced period of time off work due to sciatica to take on the emptying my cupboards/freezer challenge. Today i have made tomato and lentil soup and Lamb mince pasta bake. I now have 5 portions of each in tupperware that i cant fit into the freezer!(i've had a portion of each for my meals today) What do i do? I dont fancy groundhog day for the next week. The plus side is that i'm impressed i managed to make something not only edible but really nice, so i dont want to waste any of it. I have most of the store cupboard essentials, so any tips on emptying the freezer of raw ingredients and converting them to 'ping' teas? Thanks in advance for any advice :D
  • caronc
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Good evening all. No internet all day due to upgrading of the network so have just caught up on the thread.

Caronc That recipe is great and one I've copied to keep. I love pasta and was thinking of something to cook with left over chicken as I'm having a roast chicken dinner tomorrow evening. I'll add the chicken to the sauce. Thank you.

I cannot leave treaty things alone until they're gone so don't buy too many. It usually works ok as I shop monthly so if I eat all the sweet stuff in the first week I don't have any for the rest of the month. Quite self regulating really :D

No breakfast as usual today. Lunch was an egg and tomato sandwich and dinner was a portion of quiche that I froze a while ago, new potatoes and salad. I deliberately cooked too many new potatoes as I'm making frittata on Friday night. I like to deliberately create leftovers that can be used in other planned meals.
    I can see LO chicken working well in the sauce or LO gammon:D. I don't mind "planned" LOs and do make extra at times it when you suddenly get landed with unplanned ones I get fed up!
    steffiraf wrote: »
    Good evening. I've lurked for a very long time as you can probably tell, but feel compelled to post. Have been single a very long time and i hate cooking/eating fruit and veg. I really struggle with cooking for one. I have decided given that i have an enforced period of time off work due to sciatica to take on the emptying my cupboards/freezer challenge. Today i have made tomato and lentil soup and Lamb mince pasta bake. I now have 5 portions of each in tupperware that i cant fit into the freezer!(i've had a portion of each for my meals today) What do i do? I dont fancy groundhog day for the next week. The plus side is that i'm impressed i managed to make something not only edible but really nice, so i dont want to waste any of it. I have most of the store cupboard essentials, so any tips on emptying the freezer of raw ingredients and converting them to 'ping' teas? Thanks in advance for any advice :D
    Welcome to the thread steffiraf - avoiding "ground hog" day is a perpetual dilemma for us "Cooking For One" (CFO) folks so you'll fit right in. If you find the solution to emptying the freezer let me know;). Me, I tend to mix up stuff I batch cook with lots of "one off" things like chops or fish fillets so I'm not always eating "here's one I (or some else) made earlier" meals but it is really hard not to get stuck in a rut:(
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Steffiraf Welcome to the thread. What sort of things have you got in the freezer that could be used in order to free up some space? Post what your ingredients are and we'll try to come up with some ideas. :)
  • steffiraf
    Options
    To be honest, most of my meals involve bread, either as a sandwich or on toast and i'm trying really hard to stay away from that as i'm convinced thats where a lot of my weight gain woes lie. But i'm really really bad at convincing myself that i can survive without it. I really dont like most fruit or veg, and i'm not just saying that. All the foods i didnt/wouldn't eat as a child are still the same now, with the exception of onions. I can manage most others if they are blended beyond recognition. So my meals are fairly limited in that sense. I see all these posts for lovely meals but then are ruined by 'serve with salad/veg' I dont have the option of bulking out with these things, so what starts out as a healthy meal becomes something else. I have tried veg in the hope that i might have grown out of my childhood hatred, but with the exception of onions, its still the same. I see pictures of recipes that look amazing, but when i get to trying them, the ingredients are a step too far. I just cant manage them. I've tried adapting them to a blend, but a lot of the time, it just doesn't work. I salivate over salads but know that in my world they will never happen. In all the things i've tried so far cooking wise, i've adapted to meet my needs and so far so good, but i long for the simplicity of individual ingredients. I'll post the recipes to the meals ive done so far if anyone wants them....
  • steffiraf
    Options
    I'll have to do an inventory tomorrow, but most of it is either meat or potato based products i suspect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure