Boiler replacement - Boxt.co.uk

Options

Comments

• SW_London
    Options
    I don't know what to say here, I've tried to be helpful by being completely honest about my install.... Seems this forum is annoyed about the previous company run by the directors(?) of Boxt? I actually don't know about that... If you look on (I'm not sure we can reference other sites here) the very big review site I have several different reviews on there (typically either 5 star or one star, as you do). Anyway hopefully some useful info came out of my post. I am not fake, do not work for Boxt and get no reward for this review whatsoever (other than hopefully being helpful). Anyway, anyone who uses them can form their own opinion (obviously), but for me they were fantastic.
  • RichardKing
    RichardKing Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2017 at 11:37AM
    Options
    I worked in the service industry for nearly 40 years and have found - like you have, no doubt - that customers either think you are 'absolutely fabulous - the best!' or 'the worst bunch of useless idiots I have ever employed;'! There is rarely anything in between!

One great thing about the internet is that it is hard to hide a bad reputation. It does concern me just a little that there are relatively few reviews to be found. But maybe they are a newly formed company?

I would be the first to make my views known if I was an unhappy customer, both here and on YouTube etc. etc.

Life is full of risk - but sometimes you have to follow your gut, and hope for the best!

BTW My boiler and bits were all delivered as promised and are now sitting in my hallway.
    There's a detailed invoice from the supplier (PlumbNation) for all the pipes, flue etc etc.

No condensate pump, I notice... Some of the other estimators wanted to go up into the loft to reach the nearest soil pipe fopr the condensate, so quoted for a suitable pump. Whether that is an over-sight by BOXT, or they have another plan is still to be seen.

Blimey! - The boiler also weighs 57Kg - so I'm hoping the installer will know how to mount it securely onto a plaster partition wall. But then, its just another modern UK property, why would they not?

Can't wait to get a good long soak in the tub tomorrow night!!
  • RichardKing
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    Unless you know what a weir gauge is how do they expect you to accurately test flow rates. I'd rather they come and check everything before they quoted, once you agree they could say anything and you'd have to pay extra. Obviously some people will be more savvy and know the ins and outs but I'm sure there's lots that don't.

I had a about 8 different people come and look at the job. Only one actually tested the flow rate - 16l/min at the garden tap. The rest took my word for it that the pressure was about 2 bars.
  • RichardKing
    Options
    Alex1983 wrote: »
    If they do a good job then that's good for you and the best of luck.

I never heard of them and neither had people I know in the trade and I would be suspect of that, then when you look at the owners and there previous useless company it makes me wonder. There previous company would of done some very good work no doubt but I do have a family member who worked for the said company doing snagging of new installs and believe me they were poor.

I work for a company that has no need to compete against this company and am just giving my honest opinion.

The person who was posting on this forum from them sounded like a politician avoiding questions and so on and then they have had to make another user to put up a obviously fake review of how great there business is, which says all you need to know about this company.

I hadn't heard of ANY of the firms I've recieved quotes from. A local lad seemed like a good bet, with lots of recommendations on a facebook page - then I received private messages warning me to avoid him like the plague... So, who to believe?

Some of the comment here are probably completely genuine - but how do we, the punters know that it isn't just 'sour grapes' and pulling the other guy down. We're between a rock and a hard place...
  • navidson
    navidson Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had my new boiler fitted by them last week - Service was excellent and price fantastic

Puts some of the larger companies to shame - Been a customer with British Gas for over 10 years and they quoted me more than a grand more
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Options
    SW_London wrote: »
    In response to the above I can tell you that you will be very well looked after with Boxt. I had used them after asking my plumber how much it was to replace my boiler which was playing up again (Hot/lukewarm/hot water). My plumber was booked solid that week and of course that's when my boiler decided to completely shut down.

On the Tuesday after my plumber told me he was busy for the week (but before the boiler completely stopped) I had a look online at a few different finance/boiler replacement companies and most of the quotes seemed like they were sales pitches (no detail on the quote, just "we'll call you") instead of providing information. I came across Boxt as one of results (but they actually had a full quote, information and booking process online!) and thought "ok I'll give them a call and if they try and give me a sales pitch I'll just wait for my plumber" (me being a female I am used to being harangued into buying things by companies despite how many times I say "no"). Anyway I spoke to the customer services team and the gentleman was very helpful, asked me if I had had a look at their site and confirmed in more detail about the recommended boiler (which he happened to have at home). He said I should go online and book through the website if I thought it was the one for me. That in itself impressed me as despite having taken 10 minutes of his time there was still no pressure.

I decided to go ahead with the purchase and took the offer of £1720 for a Worcester Bosch 30i, with system flush, new flue, smart thermostat and 10 year guarantee. I took half on finance as a) £1720 is a lot of money (although cheaper than buying the parts and having London plumber rates to fit) and b) having spoken to the customer services team they confirmed I could pay it back early (the interest rate is 9.9% per annum for anyone interested). I book for that Friday (the first available appointment from the Tuesday) and get a £50 discount as it's in the week (be-warned; if you need a weekend fitting it is extra, and as it is a full day job you may need to take the day off work for in the week). I also had to send pictures of my flue, boiler and surrounds so that they could plan what they may need for the job which I uploaded to my application.

The next morning (Wednesday) I get up to absolutely no heating and hot water (and it was mighty cold). After my bucket/kettle bath :cool:, I decide to give Boxt a ring and see if there are any available appointments earlier as I am very cold!! They take my circumstance seriously and within 10 minutes have arranged for a plumber from somewhere near Leeds with a cancelled job to come to mine the next day. He phones in the evening to say he was coming for 9, as it was an almost 4 hour drive it may vary by up to an hour depending on traffic. I say OK (luckily I work from home so no stress my end).

On the Thursday at at most 10 minutes past nine he arrives at my door. He was brilliant! Really knowledgeable and passionate about his work, any questions I have he explains (Despite being up since 5am and driving miles to get to me). Completely cleanly, thorough and efficient. By 3.30pm I have a fully flushed system with everything installed, hot water and heating and a thermostat I know how to use and he is off back on his long ride back home. I have also got my gas safe cert for the works which is fabulous. My gas usage has gone down by about 30% looking at my meter readings so this will pay for itself in the long run!

I honestly cannot tell you how thankful I am to Boxt, how great their service was and how much I currently recommend them (Subsequent calls to non gas safe plumbers about some bathroom works and them mentioning boilers have resulted in me recommending Boxt to them, as well as friends and family and pretty much anyone who even looks like they are thinking the word "boiler" around me).

They could've chosen a tough sell, or to ignore my circumstance but they didn't. I would definitely suggest that if you need a boiler GO TO BOXT.

Thank you for joining just to tell us how good BOXT are. Please stay and contribute to the forum so we know that you are not spamming with a fake review!
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Options
    navidson wrote: »
    I had my new boiler fitted by them last week - Service was excellent and price fantastic

Puts some of the larger companies to shame - Been a customer with British Gas for over 10 years and they quoted me more than a grand more

British Gas is usually twice the price of local independent installers!
  • SW_London
    Options
    I don't know if I was getting the usual inflated quotes for being a female in charge of a house, but was getting day rates of £900+ for Gas safe (and £600+ for non Gas safe in regards to bathroom works).... :| if I took that and the price of the boiler alone it would've worked out more expensive, plus no finance options which would mean more bucket baths and wearing several layers to do my work at home until I had more ££, so for me it was a no-brainer!
  • Private_Church
    Options
    SW_London wrote: »
    I don't know if I was getting the usual inflated quotes for being a female in charge of a house, but was getting day rates of £900+ for Gas safe (and £600+ for non Gas safe in regards to bathroom works).... :|

Pimlico Plumbers?..............
  • SW_London
    Options
    lol, I don't think those who own in Pimlico need to take finance for items of a couple £'000.... not sure if it is just my luck or my area. Zone 4/5 plumbers my end.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback