Boiler replacement - Boxt.co.uk

Options
Hi All,

I am looking to get our boiler replaced and have found the website boxt.co.uk that looks very cheap. I have read reviews and they are all good, however I am always a bit wary of deals that seem to good to be true.

So my question is has anyone had any dealings with boxt.co.uk?

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never heard of them but the only thing I would caution you about internet reviews is this: who wrote them? how hard are they to make-up and post as real? They might be genuine.

Recommendation from a friend(s) is usually the best I think.
  • marc81
    marc81 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just did a quick quote for curiosity sake and I didn't think it was that cheap to be honest. If I were you I would find a local independent company.
  • CityBlue
    CityBlue Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers - yeah that was my concern with the online reviews.

With regards to price I was comparing this with British Gas who seem to be ridiculously overpriced!
  • RichardKing
    Options
    I just ordered from Boxt - their price was £600 cheaper than any other quote and for a bigger model boiler too!

You send them photos of your house, old boiler, piping and where the flue is. I'm just a bit concerned their might still be a snag and extra expense, bust so far all looks good.

BTW their quote £2845 was for a Worcester Bosch 38 CDI Classic and was £1200 cheaper than a British Gas quote for a smaller boiler.. :T
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How can they size a combi without pressure testing the mains water supply?
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    They can't but they probably get away with it unless the water pressure is very low, also most people won't know about flow rates etc so won't complain about that side of it.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't get a proper quote without it being seen, they will give you a basic price & then when it is actually installation day it will be oh we didn't know about this & that's not what we thought so here is ££££ of extras & don't forget you have signed a contract
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • DominicH
    DominicH Posts: 288 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2017 at 12:06PM
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    How can they size a combi without pressure testing the mains water supply?
    They do ask you for the flow rate from your cold tap. Which is about as much as your average gas engineer does pre-quote, in my expericence.
    I do take the point about each job having its specific requirements, and it's not clear how they deal with that.
    "Einstein never said most of the things attributed to him" - Mark Twain
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you know what a weir gauge is how do they expect you to accurately test flow rates. I'd rather they come and check everything before they quoted, once you agree they could say anything and you'd have to pay extra. Obviously some people will be more savvy and know the ins and outs but I'm sure there's lots that don't.
  • DominicH
    DominicH Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Since you seem to be representing Boxt themselves, can I ask how does the fixed price cope with unforeseen, job-specific things that probably crop up in lots of boiler installations?
    E.g. what if the customer has half-inch gas pipes and the boiler needs 22mm? Or what if extra piping needs to be run for the condensate, or a soakaway installed? Or the flue needs special extensions?
    "Einstein never said most of the things attributed to him" - Mark Twain
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure