Central heating problem

Options
The radiators come on when the hot water comes on. The central heating on the timer is set to off.

One plumber looked at it and said the problem was that the timer is broken, so it is coming on even when it should not. The solution is to get an electrician to change the timer/thermostat.

Another one has come today to have a look at it and said that the problem is in the airing cupboard where the bypass pipe is connected wrongly. He is doing me a quote to remedy this, but said it will be 'hundreds'

Which solution, if either, seems most likely?

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is normally a valve that switches from one to the other, and it gets stuck.

I have seen it reported here lots of times. Somebody more helpful will come along soon.

Don't think it'll be hundreds.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a look in your airing cupboard and you should see a 3-port valve or diverter valve. It should have an indicator on it to show which position it is in. Switch the system so that hot water comes on and heating is off. What position does the valve indicator show it is in? Normally marked H (heating), M (mid-point, i.e. both) W water.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Have a look in your airing cupboard and you should see a 3-port valve or diverter valve. It should have an indicator on it to show which position it is in. Switch the system so that hot water comes on and heating is off. What position does the valve indicator show it is in? Normally marked H (heating), M (mid-point, i.e. both) W water.

Have looked in airing cupboard. I recognise the pump. There are also two other things with Honeywell on them. Not sure if either one of these is the 3-point diverter valve you mention.

How will I recognise it? I can't see H, M or W.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    Have looked in airing cupboard. I recognise the pump. There are also two other things with Honeywell on them. Not sure if either one of these is the 3-point diverter valve you mention.

How will I recognise it? I can't see H, M or W.

You may have two separate valves rather than one three port valve.

Posting a picture would help?
  • Annie1960
    Options
    Rubidium wrote: »
    You may have two separate valves rather than one three port valve.

Posting a picture would help?

I seem to have 2 silver devices with Honeywell written on them. Presumably these are the valves?

I also have the decorator here who has moved everything so I can't find my camera. All my cupboards are covered in dust sheets, and there are many obstacles in the way.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Try a google image search and see if you can match anything up with what you have.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    http://www.metropac.com/Honeywell_ZoneValves.html

There are 2 of them, and they both look like this.

I can't really read anything near the levers.
  • lstar337
    Options
    So it looks like you have two valves and one is stuck open.

Neither of your plumbers seem to have picked up on this.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    Both of them were here for different reasons, and I just asked in passing.

How do I identify which one is stuck, and what do I do about it?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    They are zone valves, so you probably have separate upstairs and downstairs heating circuits. If they are exactly like that then the bit that has an arrow pointing to it saying "auxiliary end switch" is also a manual override, you open the valve by moving the slider to the right and tucking it behind the little catch above it. What is supposed to happen is that next time power is applied the valve closes. Is your boiler a combi or do you have a hot water storage cylinder?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure