Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• s71hj
    s71hj Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have opened one of these for the 6 % reg saver. I have a barclays current account with a couple of £1 direct debits on it set up to take advantage of transfer incentives. I'm tempted by the £100 m and s gift card but adviser told me that you have to have a couple of phone conversations to do tranf er. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I'm particularly wondering if I'll be quizzed as to why there are only 2 £1 direct debits set up and my transfer request be refused.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    s71hj wrote: »
    Have opened one of these for the 6 % reg saver. I have a barclays current account with a couple of £1 direct debits on it set up to take advantage of transfer incentives. I'm tempted by the £100 m and s gift card but adviser told me that you have to have a couple of phone conversations to do tranf er. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this. I'm particularly wondering if I'll be quizzed as to why there are only 2 £1 direct debits set up and my transfer request be refused.
    I've done it and they don't quiz you about the DD's. They don't actually see the dd's becasue these are on your old account and so are note known to M&S at the point that the transfer process starts.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have a barclays current account with a couple of £1 direct debits on it set up to take advantage of transfer incentives.

Can you tell us please, what are the transfers incentives and the DDs needed for them?
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Can you tell us please, what are the transfers incentives and the DDs needed for them?
    I think what the poster means is that they have a couple of dd mandates set to pull from their Barclays account in readiness for shifting the account from Barclays to an account that does require two dd mandates on it!
  • s71hj
    s71hj Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    the incentive is a £100 gift card i think? . I don't believe m and s are specific about what needs to be transferred regular payment wise unlike some switching incentives. The only account i have to switch has token dds on it on the basis that incentives from other accounts in the past have generally required some dds so i set them up in preparation. I would assume that m and s would want something transferring as they refer to transferring "everyday banking" so I'm happier with the idea of transferring an account that has some actual payments to transfer though perhaps this is not required. Clearly if I'm missing something I'd be keen to know!!!
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    the incentive is a £100 gift card i think? . I don't believe m and s are specific about what needs to be transferred regular payment wise unlike some switching incentives. The only account i have to switch has token dds on it on the basis that incentives from other accounts in the past have generally required some dds so i set them up in preparation. I would assume that m and s would want something transferring as they refer to transferring "everyday banking" so I'm happier with the idea of transferring an account that has some actual payments to transfer though perhaps this is not required. Clearly if I'm missing something I'd be keen to know!!!
    The M&S switching offer doesn't mention a requirement to switch any dd mandates. But I had two set up in case I'd missed something.
  • IanIan
    IanIan Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I opened one of these a few months ago. The deal then was 2% for the first year, then 1.5%. I have today received a letter confirming that the rate will fall to 1.1% on 23rd February. This is not good! :(

I hope that Leeds and Market Harborough are not starting a new fashion.
  • taf_2
    taf_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    IanIan wrote: »
    I opened one of these a few months ago. The deal then was 2% for the first year, then 1.5%. I have today received a letter confirming that the rate will fall to 1.1% on 23rd February. This is not good! :(

I hope that Leeds and Market Harborough are not starting a new fashion.

Received the same letter. Not clear to me what that means for the introductory rate of 2% that applies currently (as far as I am aware at least) as it only cites a drop from 1.5% to 1.1%.

Anyone else any clearer on this?

Thanks.
  • Andystriker
    Options

I opened a M&S current account for the £100 gift card and 6% regular saver. I opened the current account over the phone and when it was set up I put £300 in. I then phoned and opened a Regular Saver and they did this straight away transferring the first payment from my £300.

I then rang and spoke to the switching team for the £100 gift card. I have a Norwich & Peterborough Current Account with 4 standing orders on for £2.00 each. They said they could not use the switch service for N&P but if I did it myself and rang back they would send the voucher. So I set up 4 S/O's for £2 each on M&S current account and transfeered by faster payment £2,000 into the current account. I then rang the switching team again and said I had done the switch myself and they have sent me the £100 gift card. All this process took less than 2 weeks.

I am very impressed with M&S (and I still have the N&P account open if I need to switch to somewhere else).
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a Norwich & Peterborough Current Account with 4 standing orders on for £2.00 each. They said they could not use the switch service for N&P but if I did it myself and rang back they would send the voucher. So I set up 4 S/O's for £2 each on M&S current account and transfeered by faster payment £2,000 into the current account. I then rang the switching team again and said I had done the switch myself and they have sent me the £100 gift card.
    Very odd stuff. So they took your word for it that you had switched and, as they don't require DDs to be transferred, you needn't actually have done anything at all apart from telling them you had 'switched'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure