PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Mr and Mrs Builder visited and gave me a quote. They are starting work on the 23rd.

So I have a deadline and think I need to aim for a wheelie bin's worth of stuff a day (will not be putting most of it in the bin, just an estimate of how much I need to clear/ pack away/ re-home.

Was thinking of asking DS1 to put up his tent in the back yard to safely store my spare wood/ melamine stash (no shed) but now thinking I can rig something up using my plastic raised bed as a base and the garden table as a top. I am hoping that we get a skip in at some time during the building work (replacing the bathroom is one of the jobs on the list) but need the stuff out of the house for there to be room for the builders.

And before anyone suggests getting rid of all my wood/ melamine stash, Mr Builder said they hadn't yet found a source for replacing a piece of worktop to match the existing one (beech no longer being in fashion) I said we could use 'that' cut to size and put ends on it ('that' being a desktop 4' long, same width as kitchen worktop, currently doing duty as a headboard to protect the walls.

If they can't find 'plinth' in either the matching or contrasting colours to my units (one well known diy store already failed) we may have to resort to my solution of using bits from the store either as they are or with vinyl tiles cut to size and stuck on top.

Bathroom is 13 years old and had lots of bits that needed fixing so decided to upgrade that now (new wall covering will cut down on cleaning/ maintenance and adding the option of a shower). Hoping to get another 5 to 10 years out of my kitchen and then will consider any modifications needed (I'll be 63 in 5 years, 68 in 10 years) to see me out.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mothernerd - good luck with the builders. Mine have been here since the middle of March and I'm really really looking forward to them being gone. As long as they're finished. Which should be in two weeks. It's been a constant effort to move things round from one room to another to make room for them to work.

I managed to get two coats of paint on the dining room walls. Final coat is currently drying - I'm hoping it will be a good enough finish to live with for the next year or so. Didn't do the woodwork, ceiling or coving, but I expect I will one day.

Outside I managed to get a flowerbed dug over (but not planted) and mowed the grass which looks much better - I had to empty the grass collector 15 times as the grass (well it's not really grass, more mixed wildflowers/grass/thistles) was so long. I need to get out with the weed-puller in the next few days and deal with the thistles.

Am absolutely shattered as a result of all the physical activity and my nails are filthy despite wearing gloves.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    essexgal wrote: »
    you'd be surprised.....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fish+horn+lamp&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWosqMudzMAhXHI8AKHUuXDosQ_AUIBygB&biw=1155&bih=537

karmacat - it's fab - its the type of thing I'd have snapped up for the other years '!!!!!! Secret Santa' (only rules were it had to be maximum spend of £1, had to be handmade or second hand... and had to make the recipient think !!!!!!!) :D

essexgal

Well I never! Its a definite !!!!!!, isn't it, and to find a whole page of them :eek::rotfl: there are a couple on ebay right now, one for a very optimistic £87 :rotfl:

Right, I need to saunter along to my bed, I'm a bit tired after all that ;)

Thank you all!

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2016 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Morning kondoers, hope everyone is well.
    Had a really busy weekend, did mils gardening-mostly weeding and lawn mowing along with a bit of garage clearance - glass jars went in bottle bank, big stash of metal went at bottom of drive for scrapman and a black bagful went for general household rubbish. Two old trellises came back to ours to support runner beans. Bought a new garage backdoor as ours was rotted through at the bottom, hung said door, stained it and cut up old one to go in DHs works wood skip. Bought a rainwater diverter so waterbutt we've had for over 20 years can actually collect water other than what rains into the top of it. Fitted it to the down pipe then realised the storm drain was blocked with leaves that's why we get back water come up in any rain. So spent a couple of hours clearing that-drain rods were a very worthwhile investment many moons ago! Beans planted and trellises put in place. Chair photos emailed to dd1 and awaiting a response as to wether chair is desired by her partners dad. A small amount of reading and knitting was done and a couple of glasses of wine Kondoed.
    Could say I'd really like a rest today but both me and Dh agreed it was a really productive but enjoyable weekend and I've got work all day today so no chance of rest.

Haven joyful one all.
    ps. I've seen one of those fish lamps I'm certain someone in my family had or has one. Lol they are very strange aren't they!
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning

Hope you had a good weekend, sorting and konding.

Kitchen sorted
    2 more eby sales, more stuff out of the way
    Going to have a major sort out today of a couple of draws.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May 2016 at 9:26AM
    Options
    Yesterday I weeded a five metre flower bed, and ironed half of the ironing pile. It was a rather large pile, so I took out six items, ironed them and then decided if I would do another six. Some ironed shirts of dds' now in the attic because the shirts -though nice - did not spark as much joy as the new ones we received from my colleague.
    I also sorted through the b.arbie box, discardingveveeything that did nit look pristine. Now the box can be closed and fits in the i.kea cubbyhole cabinet.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I also am sure I have seen a fish like that before :rotfl:Not in my house may I add :D

Well a very busy weekend and not a lot of kondoing done but printing 250 leaflets done and half already delivered with the other half to get out today at some point.

A new (to us) truck test driven and to be collected on Wednesday will be able to fit loads of carp in it :rotfl:Which was one of the reasons we decided on it. So can now collect all Dads stuff he wants to get rid of and stick it in the 24 hour Chazzer(shed) in one load ;) So road users watch out I am on a mission in our massive truck thingy.As I drive a little clio it will be a bit of a change for me.So as I say watch out ;)

Have a nice joyful day

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so glad my fish isn't alone in this world :) Of course, although its awful, I don't see only what's in the picture. I see my lovely nan and grandad, I lived with them for a little while; one of the amusements was to bring home live, foot long crabs from the Mersey and let me chase them around the kitchen, as a toddler :D it was an interesting environment :D

No kondoing this morning, except I've kondoed the sleeplessness.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    ........... So road users watch out I am on a mission in our massive truck thingy.As I drive a little clio it will be a bit of a change for me.So as I say watch out ;)

Have a nice joyful day

Mav x

OMG I am so glad I am heading your way on Tuesday :D:D and not Wednesday :rotfl:
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Options
    I'd keep an eye on those lamps on ebay, you may well have something... Needs to be sold as "needs rewiring..." but I think it may well be a collector's piece.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure