PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 September 2017 at 2:35PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Or if feeling flush, get fish and chips / curry / Chinese on the way home

Or, my take on this is:

- consider chips/curry sauce from the chippy and realise that's going to cost you about £2.20. Snort ....
    - use L1dl's 63p/1Kg of oven chips, use 1/4 of those, so that's 16p. Get some instant curry sauce granules (4sda do some, so do Bisto) and use 2 teaspoons of that and boiling water.

Dinner for about 20p instead of £2.20 ... without parking/queueing in a shop and handing over a King's ransom of hard-won money.

You want vegetables? Oh my you're hard to please.... there are a lot of tinned/frozen mushy peas available cheaper than the chippy :) yes, you CAN make your own, from dried peas... but cooking for one you want a portion, not a bucket load. And yes you COULD freeze the spare portions, but how many portions of mushy peas do you eat/want a year? 2? 3? Certainly not a bucket... tinned/frozen is the way to go there.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Back on the subject of loyalty cards, today I went into Waitrose, because, for once, I had some useful money off vouchers sent to me for their Essential range.

All stuff I would buy anyway. Prices are after coupons used.
    Tin of baby spuds, 31p [30p off]
    Bunch celery 38p [20p off]
    500mL thick bleach 30p [20p off]

I didn't but could have had a free coffee with that if I wanted it

No breakfast, had time but not fancied it
    Lunch was another corned beef salady sarnie, only one slice left now, no prizes for forecasting tomorrow's lunch

Sun's out and quite warm out there, I think I will cut the grass later, could be it's last cut before Autumn really gets going

With the summery weather and because it is easy, dinner is going to be baked potato & salad, not sure what sort, perhaps just CBA and grate some cheese in the spud. Baking spuds on offer in Lild BTW, which is where mine came from

I will probably pick some raspberries and have them with Greek yoghurt and honey, bought that yesterday having still not found the lost & vapourised jar:mad:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Options
    VelvetFreak , another quick & easy option is salad, either with oven chips or nuked "baked" spud

Salad cream is optional but sorely needed
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Options
    Just spotted on the Grabbit, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716484 for Chocolate oranges, buy one get tow "free"

Personally I never buy or eat them now ever since Terry's was taken over and production moved to Holland
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    There used to be tons of varieties, no idea what the choices are now.

There were the regular milk chocolate, plain chocolate ones ... and I've seen (from memory):

- chocolate lemon (with lemon looking wrapper)
    - fizzy lemon
    - honeycomb crunch
    - orange popping candy
    - milk chocolate popping candy
    - orange white chocolate
    - white chocolate with glitter?
    - minty
    - cosmic toffee

And I've only ever had the regular milk and dark chocolate ones!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    There used to be tons of varieties, no idea what the choices are now.

There were the regular milk chocolate, plain chocolate ones ... and I've seen (from memory):

- chocolate lemon (with lemon looking wrapper)
    - fizzy lemon
    - honeycomb crunch
    - orange popping candy
    - milk chocolate popping candy
    - orange white chocolate
    - white chocolate with glitter?
    - minty
    - cosmic toffee

And I've only ever had the regular milk and dark chocolate ones!

I love choc oranges. It wouldn't be Xmas if I didn't get one off my Mum 😀
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

As I went out first thing to Tesco I had a late breakfast of croissants when I got back.

I've got a few unbaked frozen ones in the freezer that my niece used to have for breakfast when she slept here after going clubbing in the town. As she bought them I asked her if she wanted to take them when she was here last weekend and she didn't want them, so I've decided to use them up as a treat at the weekend for the next three weeks.

Lunch wash a cheese salad sandwich.

I'm having mustard stuffed chicken breast with baby potatoes and steamed veg for dinner. This is a recipe I haven't tried before but I fancied trying something different for a change, and it's easy enough to put together so I thought I would give it a go.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I really, really, really fancy an indian takeaway. Unfortunately I've not managed to find one locally that's even close to being any good.....

I don't need it ...I just fancy/want it. Without any effort of course. Without choosing, phoning, driving, parking, driving back ....

I want it to appear by magic, on my plate ....and be "perfect".

I do wish I'd "married well" .... some really rich bugg4h....so I could have what I want, when I wanted it .... sorted by servants.

:)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Doing a red lentil lasagne for tea. Hopefully it'll last for a few meals :p
    Gonna have it with a salad, n watch SCD.God i'm getting old :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Farway
    Options
    I'm having mustard stuffed chicken breast with baby potatoes and steamed veg for dinner. This is a recipe I haven't tried before but I fancied trying something different for a change, and it's easy enough to put together so I thought I would give it a go.

That chicken sounds lovely. How "easy" is easy please?

Dinner over, I did have grated cheese in the baked spud, that is what I term easy

Reading through the Waitrose paper I spotted a recipe for toad in the hole, and now I fancy it. Looks easy and I have some frozen bangers, plus flour etc, I never have a lot of success with TIH but this one uses fizzy water in the batter, and I actually have some of that. Could be tomorrow's dinner with steamed veg. Or just sausage sarnie if it fails, again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure