Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone else find Mondays exhausting? I really could have napped at various points throughout the day today! Work diary is varied next two weeks so am expecting the time to fly. Did manage a weight workout after work in the hope avoiding sitting down would prevent a nap!

DH did a small top up shop today and it's now 10 days until payday so strict budget needed. Bathroom fund is £5.25 better off as interest has been paid. Am going to put the childrens' birthday money in their savings as they haven't wanted to spend it and don't really need anything. I've made a start on the Christmas shopping and ordered DS a table with a large lego base insert. Am sure I'll struggle to think of what else to get them both.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • michelle09
    Options
    Well even though it might be time consuming, you have to live with the choice so it does make sense to pick something you like!
  • CathT
    Options
    I am ready for this week to be over! dd has had a sickness bug and a nasty fall resulting in her needing an x-ray/no fracture but she has damaged her shoulder so needs physio. Dh now has the bug! On a positive note I checked the accounts (8 days until payday) and they looked healthy so have been able to make some transfers. Will keep spends low (ish) this week and hopefully have some left to be constructive with! Also hoping no one else gets struck by the sick bug!
  • CathT
    Options
    Well ds got the sick bug so it was only me that escaped! Unfortunately DH has lost quite a lot of pay this week through illness so hoping we can balance things out over the month.

Had a busy morning after my lie in! Got up to see DH had done all the household jobs so I ran all the errands. Done by lunchtime so have the rest of the weekend ahead of us. Student loan statement received which is depressing, it just doesn't seem to be reducing! A payment had been reversed which I'd queried but thankfully this has come off my account again. I think I still have about 8 years of repayments to go unless I get a decent cost of living payrise each year! The idea is then to repay the equivalent as an OP each month. I think I just missed out on the loan being wiped out so many years after graduation.

50p on y0ug0v and £100 sent to bathroom savings leaving us £47 to last a week. The challenge is on! Rough bathroom calculations show we just need another £300 to cover the suite, labour and tiles. We're going to full tile it and have ceiling spotlights. Although we don't currently use that room much as we prefer the shower room I'm really looking forward to it being done as the current bathroom is pretty tired looking and certainly not luxurious.

Planning to do a weight workout later and also spend some time relaxing and reading. It's all about balance! I also need to look at booking some long weekends off work which should be pretty motivating.

Hope you're all having a fab weekend.
  • michelle09
    Options
    Wow, £47 is tough, but I'm sure you can do it! Are you planning to tile the ceiling as well?
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Hope your smallfolk are fully recovered.xxx
  • CathT
    Options
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Wow, £47 is tough, but I'm sure you can do it! Are you planning to tile the ceiling as well?

Down to £24 now as topped up fuel and bought food for packed lunches. It's very do-able though and I also have a small amount of cash (about £7). We're having strip panels (PVC i think) and then no need for painting.

Have made a list of extra expenses we've had this month and it's reminded me to be grateful we have money left over as we count down the final days until payday. This month we have had both childrens' birthdays and parties so gifts and extra food to buy, both children had new school shoes (£50ish), football fees of £90 were paid, swimming fees of £124 were paid. Needed 3 new tyres which were about £110, ds had a new coat £24 and I had new boots £40. I've also spent £35 on a christmas present for ds and we went to a quiz fundraiser which was about £30! I actually think we have done rather well!
    Hope your smallfolk are fully recovered.xxx

Yes thank you SHS, they soon bounce back don't they. DH said he'd never felt so unwell. Somehow I have managed to escape it! Hope similar bugs aren't floating around your schools.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Glad everyone has recovered x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • michelle09
    Options
    Wow, you've done really well to have money left over from all that.

Is next month going to slightly less hectic?
  • CathT
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Glad everyone has recovered x

Thanks greent, we are still germ free!
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Wow, you've done really well to have money left over from all that.

Is next month going to slightly less hectic?

I'm glad I wrote it all down as it made me think it wasn't such a bad month after all. Next month should be less hectic as will just be christmas prep and we don't go mad on presents. I do like to visit a christmas shop (factory outley type) that we have but that doesn't mean I will necessarily buy anything. We brought back the decorations from CP last year so if I want to carry on with red and gold theme may want to top up our decs collection.

Last day before payday tomorrow and even after a top up shop yesterday we have just over £10 left! I'm pretty pleased with that. We often used to end the month having already spent some of next months money on the credit card which comes off the next months budget and continues each month. Glad to say we've not done that for ages! I do need to prioritise some money from this months pay to our holiday and bathroom fund.

So glad hump day is nearly over, am definitely ready for the weekend.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback