Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• michelle09
    Options
    Great news on the bathroom! Shame the temperature has started to drop so much the last few weeks, hopefully it'll still be a mild winter.
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Have a lovely half term. Activities sound like fun!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy cleaning!

Only managed the shower room and the kitchen-diner this weekend. Am delighted the breakfast bar no longer resembles a messy study though!
    Great news on the bathroom and have a lovely half term

Thanks MW, we have lots of lovely things planned.
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Great news on the bathroom! Shame the temperature has started to drop so much the last few weeks, hopefully it'll still be a mild winter.

Thanks Michelle, have just been on your diary funnily enough. Tiler has been in touch and wants to call sometime this week so that's promising progress. We were hoping for beginning of the month but as we've no date am expecting it to be the middle of the month instead. There will be no decorating to do as the room will be completely finished by the tradesman so timing not really an issue, I just want a long luxurious bath!

Managed to keep the heating off today although it's definitely cooler. However, managed to line dry some washing and the children went out to play in the garden. The sky was amazing last night and even friends who live abroad posted some amazing photos of it. Nature really is amazing.

Have had to spend 4 hours this weekend doing work related stuff which makes me feel like I've not really switched off. This has made me look forward to my extra days off even more providing I get everything done that I need to tomorrow.

25p on y0ugov and dh did a top up shop as well as working 7 hours overtime today. I must confess that I've been browsing CP midweek breaks today, very reasonable prices but would have to get creative as the children have had 4/10 days off allowed with 5 more still needed! I keep telling myself they're only young once and I can't quite believe they are already 9 and 6!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    Don't think the work diary is going to accomodate a midweek trip :(

Work spilling into home life so not switching off very well.

However, have been productive today. Meters rad and submitted, one bed stripped, washed and dried. Can't face making it just yet :rotfl:. 50 points on y0ugov, children have eaten most of their hallowe'en stash, I've done a workout. A package I've been waiting on has arrived, not sure impressed the delivery guy was as it arrived mid workout!! :rotfl:Tiler calling later this afternoon so fingers crossed we are closer to a date!

Current accounts looking fairly healthy so will keep up the momentum of little spending until payday! Went to the zoo yesterday and only spends were £2 on a coffee as we took snacks. Spent another £1 on a donation to a house in the town that has the best hallowe'en decorations in support of a local hospice. We were all shattered last night and dd fell asleep at the start of bake off so she has caught up this morning. DS sounding a bit croupy and he says it hurts to cough so fingers crossed he doesn't get any worse.

Now I've caught up with work am hoping I can catch up with some diaries this evening.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm with you on the beds. Mrs E tends to change ours and I honestly didn't realise how much of a faff it was until I did them on a recent day off! 3 loads of laundry (kingsize bed and a toddler bed), with the tumble dryer on for about 6 hours as it's too wet to hang stuff out at the moment.
  • CathT
    Options
    I'm with you on the beds. Mrs E tends to change ours and I honestly didn't realise how much of a faff it was until I did them on a recent day off! 3 loads of laundry (kingsize bed and a toddler bed), with the tumble dryer on for about 6 hours as it's too wet to hang stuff out at the moment.

I'm doing ds's today but the children are staying at my mum's tonight so I have until tomorrow night to remake it! :rotfl:

Tiler called yesterday to measure up so waiting for his quote, we've got a rough idea but be good to get some fixed prices. Any leftovers from bathroom fund will be paid off our May holiday as balance is due in December. Still not got a fitting date so hoping that's confirmed soon.
    Prompted by the rates discussion I've sent an extra £133 to the mortgage to get us into the 70's. We are on fixed rates for a while but I'd taken my foot off the gas a little as had been prioritising holidays abroad and it's amazing how quickly the shortfall mounts up! :eek: Might have to restrict ourselves to one holiday a year if we want the mortgages balances as low as possible by renewal! I have coloured in another mortgage brick though an monthly interest on part 2 is now <£100 and daily interest in Part 1 is £6.58 a day.

I did try to book some tickets for a band playing locally which would have been £90 but they were sold out so we could definitely afford the spontaneous overpayment!

Feeling shattered today so steps are low and we're stuck in as it's drizzling. The children are doing their christmas lists which won't be very MSE at all!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Cutting back on holidays was something I never wanted to do when we were MFW. I was happy to do without anything else. However, we did tend to go to cheaper places, in fact we still do tend to pick budget accommodation on the basis that we are out most of the time. I hope that you can combine MFW with the holidays if you compromise a bit? The children are only young once.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • michelle09
    Options
    The bath sounds lovely, not long now!
  • CathT
    Options
    We'll still go away every year SSS, possibly not twice though!

Still waiting on fitting date Michelle but hopefully it will be very soon!

50p on y0ugov this morning. Bought some protein powder from a new company but had a 20% discount code, tried it out today and think I got my water/powder ratio wrong! Also made a pumpkin soup this morning and it's a bit hot. Who knew 1 tsp of chilli powder was so powerful, again got my ratios wrong! £28 top up shop in @ldi, bought wine for dh. I'm still not drinking as it will stall my weight loss and I have a target to get to! It doesn't enhance my evening having a glass of wine, it's just a habit to hold onto a wine glass on a Friday or a Saturday night.

We were going to go to a bonfire display tomorrow but think we are deciding against it. Heard horror stories about the parking and it is far more expensive than any other displays in the area.

Feeling a bit lightheaded this evening so am going to relax and ensure I'm eating well in case it's my blood sugars causing it. Good job I don't want wine really!
  • CathT
    Options
    Good progress on the scales so my commitment and hard work is paying off :j

Decided to take a rain check on the bonfire as lots of people started dropping out and the weather has been dreadful today. Also, dd went to a party/sleepover last night and went to bed at 11:30pm. She had a football match this morning so is shattered and both children have just gone to bed. We had a roast for the first time in ages (I enjoyed it meat free) and have enjoyed the extra time at home. I printed off some bonfire night pictures and we have put the sharpies to good use colouring them in. Not going out this evening has probably saved us about £40+

Money challenge this week is to not put fuel in my car. I am on training locally most of the week and intend to walk so we should manage. It will also help with my steps as be sat down most of the day. Am just hoping the weather is nothing like today!

Mounds of washing done and had to use the dryer once or it would have taken forever to get through it all. It just needs putting away now which is the worst bit. Will try and tackle quite a bit of it before leaving the house tomorrow.

Just going to get the last of my steps in and then relax. Just been watching a HP film with the children and was nodding off! Here's to a stress free but productive week.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback