PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 October 2016 at 11:03PM
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend Gone Girl - too overhyped and not a great read. Interesting premise but the writing let it down, for me. That's what put me off reading " the girl on the train" as I thought that was potentially the same.

I wouldn't recommend anything I'm reading at the moment - all mindless dross which is all my poor brain can cope with right now.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am working my way through Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King. Am loving the different writing styles and like how he has moved away from just writing horror.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    Valm: I'm not a fan of short stories, so left this one in the library yesterday - but I do like Stephen King so may give it a go.
    Just finished "I Let You Go" by Clare Mackintosh. Thoroughly enjoyed it (but then, I enjoyed "Girl on a Train" and "Gone Girl") though I couldn't say I was astonished by the twist towards the end.
    Normal people worry me.
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Valm: I'm not a fan of short stories, so left this one in the library yesterday - but I do like Stephen King so may give it a go.
    Just finished "I Let You Go" by Clare Mackintosh. Thoroughly enjoyed it (but then, I enjoyed "Girl on a Train" and "Gone Girl") though I couldn't say I was astonished by the twist towards the end.

I let you go is on my bookshelf to read, up next to read is The sinner by Tess gerritsen
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    I must say the girl on the train was very well written and a very clever plot, with plenty of twists and turns. I did enjoy reading it but im not sure I will bother seeing the film as the book is set in London but the film in America. I don't like it when they do that in the film I think it takes the character out of the original book.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I don't like short stories usually but TBH they are not very short. Well worth a read. Have you read the Mr Mercedes trilogy? I enjoyed that too.

I enjoyed Gone Girl but not Girl on a Train.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I discovered Gone Girl ages before the film, on recommendation of DD. I'd say it was very well-written, with particularly clever characterisation.

Even at the end it's difficult to assess the 'girl'.

I've just finished a Graham Masterson thriller, Blood Sisters. Gruelling, but gripping.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i read girl on the train, found the writing style difficult to get into. But the did enjoy it, once i got into it.

For those that have read "I let you go" check out her other book "I See You". Very good read.

My next book is

No Name Lane by Howard Linsky
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • TarantulaLady
    Options
    Currently reading 'The Widow' by Fiona Barton. Pretty good so far.
    DFD 2020 :o
    Morgage Free Date 2022
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still reading and enjoying Louis de Bernieres' "Birds Without Wings". I'll be at it forever - can't seem to get a settled reading rhythm going just now. :(
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport