Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bigk wrote: »
    Why don't you contact HMRC. I know it's a pain but the system would not verify us so we rung HMRC at 8am and got through in 5 minutes. All the lady wanted was both our NI numbers and that was it. That was last Tuesday and this morning we received a new tax code in the post. Job done!

Tried that - and they refused point blank to do it. Maintained it had to go through the email/ID check system and that there was no other way it could be done - and that was after referring it to a 'manager'.

HMRC is clueless these days - total lack of any consistency in anything they do. What used, a few years back, to be a pretty helpful, responsive outfit is now worse than dealing with Scottish Power or Npower. Thanks, Conservatives, for wrecking our pubic services. :(
  • bigk
    bigk Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry you have had so much trouble sorting this out(along with many others including myself). When we rung last week we were told that they had just started taking applications over the phone providing we had received the"invitation". However, I agree with you that there is a lot of incosistency in the way that they deal with their customers.
  • bullshot
    bullshot Posts: 4,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I applied on March 9th then got this email on April 18th......

Thank you for taking the time to register for Marriage Allowance. This new allowance starts from April, and you will be one of the first couples to be invited to apply online. We will send you an email when the application system is up and running, and give you all the information you'll need.
    To apply for Marriage Allowance online, you will need to confirm your identity through the Government's 'Verify' service. For this you'll need a valid UK passport or UK photocard driving licence, along with information about your finances such as a recent credit card or mortgage statement.
    This email is just to keep you up to date, so there is no need to contact us.

Heard nothing since.Should I count the 14 weeks wait period from March 9th or April 18th?...tia...
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    bullshot wrote: »
    I applied on March 9th then got this email on April 18th......

Thank you for taking the time to register for Marriage Allowance. This new allowance starts from April, and you will be one of the first couples to be invited to apply online. We will send you an email when the application system is up and running, and give you all the information you'll need.
    To apply for Marriage Allowance online, you will need to confirm your identity through the Government's 'Verify' service. For this you'll need a valid UK passport or UK photocard driving licence, along with information about your finances such as a recent credit card or mortgage statement.
    This email is just to keep you up to date, so there is no need to contact us.

Heard nothing since.Should I count the 14 weeks wait period from March 9th or April 18th?...tia...

I wouldn't bother to use either date. The 14 weeks they still quote went out of the window a long time ago. I'm currently on 18 weeks, and still no email, even after making a formal complaint about the delays. There was a time when that would have been handled within 7 days, but they're so swamped with complaints now about the poor service they can't even cope with the complaints - let alone basic service levels.
  • prussell13
    Options
    I had problems tonight wouldnt accept bank details. Typical IT systems from the government not got buy in from all stakeholders (ie the banks).:mad:
  • LS16
    LS16 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I registered interest in Marriage Allowance on 24 Feb, then received an update email on 17 April. Then received my "link" email last week. Tried to use the link but it wouldn't verify me. So I rang the number given and got auto prompt asking me to give brief details of why I was ringing. Obviously I wasn't brief enough & the system couldn't cope! At one point the voice actually said "garbage garbage"!! Then it told me my query couldn't be dealt with, that they were very busy & I should ring another time. I was disconnected. Total shambles.

So I came on here & found most people were having problems but I saw some helpful advice which I tried the next day. I rang early (8.20am). When the auto prompt asked why I was calling I just said "Marriage Allowance". That seemed to do the trick & after a couple of other questions I was soon put through to an adviser. I told her I'd had an email with a link in it but that my ID couldn't be verified online. (I'm not sure they'll do anything until you've had that email.) She took my husband's NI number & asked his name & that was it done. She said he would get notification through in a few days.

So don't give up. It's our entitlement. Hope this helps.
  • dominoman
    dominoman Posts: 973 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indifferent Iain works just enough and earns £5,000 in a part-time job at his local fish and chip shop.

Iain's wife, hard-working Hannah, is a software developer. She earns £35,000 and is a basic-rate taxpayer (higher-rate tax starts at £42,385 for most). Her personal allowance increases by £1,060 to £11,660 when Iain chooses to make his transfer.

It's always the guy who is lazy, f3ckless or spendthrift, and the lady who is the sensible hard-working one.

How would this read if the roles were reversed:
    Apathetic Anna, who potters around in a pop-up shop funded by her hard-working husband earns £5,000.

Her hard-working husband Iain, is a software developer.

Come on MSE. Stop perpetuating this lazy male-bashing. It just alienates us.
  • sharpharp
    sharpharp Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    First email in March said applications would be open within 14 weeks...

The last update email I got was on the 19th of April, saying a link would be sent....

July now and no email link or any further updates yet...

Looks like you get mixed messages via the phone, so are people just waiting for the email to eventually turn up?
  • let_go_aft
    let_go_aft Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just to let you know, I applied in March , received invitation to apply on 28th June, had problems with the Verify section , but to be honest , prior to entering the last 4 digits of my bank account , I noticed a hint , giving me the sort code of an account , which turned out to be the account that my wife has her pension paid into . Worth noting , to look for hint. Anyway , it all failed, rang them 10;00 Monday, got cut off, rang again , confirmed that I had , the invitation, got through, two minutes , all done. Was advised 8 weeks to activate, with backdated amount.

Just keep trying , providing you have had the invitation to apply.
  • StevieandSonya
    Options
    looking for help. Registered for MA back in Feb, now some 19 weeks ago. received an acknowledgement from HMRC but nothing since. I have emailed them twice and registered a complaint about the lack of action but have still not received any communication from them. Any tips as to how to get HMRC to do their jobs???
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback