Up for a laugh? A 23 year old's guide on how (not) to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,930 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That's a pity about OT :(

Sorry to hear about OH's grandfather. Hope you manage to get up there too.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Stayed over last night at sister-in-law's & took a crash course in parenting (totally not ready for kids given the whole poopy nappy thing), and absolutely shattered today. Left at 6:45 this morning to go to work, OH took kids to nursery and school. OH's grandfather unfortunately passed this morning, so she'll be going up to see everyone tomorrow as I'm unable to get the day off. We weren't overly close to him (grandfather was on OH's biological Dad's side of the family who we're not quite as close to) but it's still quite harrowing.

On the plus-side, we've had our new armchair delivered. But that doesn't seem so glossy at the moment.
  • themadvix
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your OH's grandfather. Thinking of you. x

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Blibble
    Options
    Last week has been quite un-MFW, but feel like I'm back on the road now :D. Spends couldn't really be helped, mind; travelling around the country, buying sister-in-law's kids takeaway, things that needed buying to make the period easier.

On the MFW front, there's a few payments hopefully coming in over the next month. NPower have said I owe £24 on a closing statement to them which I'm pretty sure should actually be £50 or so in my pocket (their "estimated" readings are surprisingly way off). I've got a survey focus interviewer coming round to our house next Wednesday, so that should be £100 or so. Still need to work out what's going to replace my OT money, however, but we'll work it out :cool:
  • themadvix
    Options
    Sometimes MFW has to go out of the window, so don't beat yourself up about it. Good to hear you're feeling back on top of it now though :)

That's a great payment for an interview!

• Blibble
    Options
    Pheeeewwww, very glad it's nearly pay-day! We've spent the first of our wedding budget by putting forward our deposit this week - we were only allowed to book in May but changed to a similarly-priced package which allowed us to keep our date earlier.

Unfortunately, interview has been cancelled down so no payment there. However, £183 confirmed as coming back from Student Loans' Company which is grand. Still trying to sort things with NPower; turns out they've had our wrong post-code for over a year registered on one of their systems, so new provider can't take over the supply. Joy of joys :D
  • Blibble
    Options
    Big wedding-y news this week. OH's bio-Dad has confirmed he'll be giving us £5k towards things, which is ridiculously generous although it doesn't fully make up for his lack of actual parenting over the last 23 years (OH's words, not mine!). That does mean though that, weirdly, we'd have enough money to get married tomorrow as we're looking between £12k and £15k all-in (much better than the £23k quoted earlier :D). OH is embracing frugal wedding-dom as well; we ended up scavenging for some log slices this week to use as centre-pieces & a cake stand which are getting cleaned up in the garage at some point. Might even get a compromise on the dress :rotfl:

It makes the £1000 we're saving a month for the wedding a bit redundant, though. I've tried convincing OH that it should all go towards OPing the mortgage, but she was having none of it! Probably right, so we'll continue to save it but with a view to a lump-sum OP in the coming months, depending on how we're doing. Feeling pretty positive about things right now :T:T
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Great news - and at least you're continuing to save it, rather than go on a spending spree :) You can then choose what to do with it - OP/ pensions/ buy something/ keep it as a rainy day fund - a mix of all etc :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Blibble
    Options
    Wouldn't know what to buy on a spending spree to be honest - we've been tight boggers for far too long now! As always, it's a waiting game to build up the savings over the months. Thinking about it, we might put just enough to the mortgage to take us down to next LTV threshold when we re-mortgage in August.
  • Blibble
    Options
    Quick progress check; latest monthly payment has taken us down under £126k, and with £200 or so OP just made as well we're nigh-on £125.5k this month. OP made up of most of SLC money, bank account reward x2 (as forgot to last month) and £20p/m saving on energy.

First month I've looked at it and felt like we've made a real dent in it :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport