ATB'S Frugal Foray to Freedom

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    For firelighters ATB, try finding bits of bark from a silver birch - really oily, gets a fire going in no time. Don't strip it off the trees though!

Still in awe of your never-ending three-digit OPs! :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    For firelighters ATB, try finding bits of bark from a silver birch - really oily, gets a fire going in no time. Don't strip it off the trees though!

Thank you for that tip, I will keep my eyes peeled on our next walk :)

Total fail on the NSD - completely forgot I had an eyebrow appointment. I will NEVER give these up - my 4-weekly tint and shape is my treat and at £11 totally worth it. Before I went out, I listed a top on ebay of Mum's - some fancy designer I had never heard of - sold for £32 on buy it now! So that has been OPd. Now for lunch! x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Watty - you have made my day! I never appreciated that lint and toilet rolls would work so well - I rely heavily on firelighters :o

We had collected loads from the woods in summer time but it's all so soggy now. Once the drier weather comes we will be back to collecting.

Someone I know uses egg boxes too - never tried that

Thank you so much for sharing that tip xx

Pine cones are great too. I just chuck a few on the stove but if you want to get creative using tealights you can make little wicks - I made some up into cellophane bags with pretty ribbons after reading about it on a thread and they were well received by a couple of folk :) I had to google for the instructions but so simple!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Morning all
    • 28p Tilly tidy done
    • Need to get some fuel today - £20
    • Forgot to OP gold money - d'oh - will sort in a minute
    • Meeting about some paid stuff - fingers crossed for some more consultancy work before month end
    • Must Hoover and sort laundry
    • It's Friday so I'll pick DH some beers up too :beer:

Have good days all x
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
  • genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning
    Dry but dull day here today.
    Convinced OH to sort through his wardrobe last night as DD2 had a friend over we were banished to our room whilst they watched Netflix. So anyways might as well do some sorting - 17 ties later, 10 shirts, 5 pairs trousers numerous shorts and tshirts his wardrobe looks fab. Plus I didn't push him too hard.
    Found some old vhs tapes of red dwarf and some watches he was given as a leaving present 3yrs ago boxed and never worn I did suggest we could sell them but noo back in the wardrobe they went.

Our mini break to Edinburgh next week is still on our caravan service went well although choked at £293.

Have a good day.
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ouch to the caravan service!

My DH has at least 3 watches, none of which have any value/work, and none of which he wears, but he apparently can't bear to part with them either.... it's good to know it's not just him!

Will have to investigate the pine cones Watty - sounds like a great gift for people with wood burners/fires (which we don't have, much to our disgust, but our friends do).
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• atypicalblonde
    Options
    All jobs on the to-do-list have been done, and just having some quiet time before I go and collect the littlies. It's half term here next week, so quiet time will be at a minimum!

Head feeling a bit full of "stuff", not necessarily bad stuff just a lot to think about.

Must drop a "Ziffit" box off at the local Collect + shop on the way to school - £10 of [STRIKE]junk[/STRIKE] treasures recycled to them ;)
  • genieuk
    genieuk Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    They are Tissot watches, a watch we would only wear on an evening out which is rare these days, not suitable for me to wear at work.

I now have a few items to list on 'bay but not sure if its worth it 17 ties etc, donated 4 bags of clothes to charity. I am never sure how to work out the postage
    Mortgage
    June 2011 £145,943.13
    Dec 16 £74,537; Feb
    Aug 17 £59,399.96
    Nov 19 £0.00
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    Hurrah! A tax refund cheque arrived for DH - £108 :T paid in and will be OPd once it clears :)
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    You're flying towards the 20s!! Well done :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback