The Financial Adventures of VelvetFreak

Options

Comments

• VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Another weekend gone :(

I filed my tax return on Saturday morning. Looks like I'm getting back about $214. Not as much as I thought but better than nothing.

Spent the rest of Saturday schlepping myself to different furniture stores, none of which had what I wanted in stock and won't get new stock in for at least 2 weeks. Was not impressed. Spent the rest of the day tidying up and moving some furniture around.

Was feeling really tired and cranky today so I ended up spending most of the day in bed. Regretting it now because I won't be able to sleep tonight and I got nothing productive done. Had grand plans to go to the library and borrow some books but that never eventuated.

Am trying not to let the working week get me down. I am starting to find it really monotonous. But at the same time I am incredibly grateful because my life is actually very good right now.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Saturday morning? That's ridiculously efficient! I'm impressed and envious.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • VelvetFreak
    edited 6 August 2017 at 5:07AM
    Options
    ACE I'm not always that productive. Only sometimes. I did it on my phone whilst in bed. :p So not sure if that really counts.

First payday since being Debt Free 'cept The Mortgage!!

Did my $200 contribution to my Emergency Fund, so new total is $1925 / $10,000

There's no point me posting my SOA because I'm in a different country (and it's pretty bare bones already, I've cut as much as I can I think of) but I will post a little breakdown of the non-bills stuff.

This is per fortnight 'cause that's how I get paid.

Groceries & Household - $150
    Personal Spending (clothes, makeup, etc.) - $80
    Eating Out/Entertainment - $30
    Petrol - $30
    Miscellaneous Savings - $20
    Xmas/Bday Savings - $20
    Emergency Savings - $200

What a strange feeling to actually have a little bit of money in each category and to be allowed to spend it. :eek: I've been going all-in for the last few years, so to be able to relax a little now is amazing. The sacrifice is definitely worth it.

I do extra hours at work sometimes, and I've decided that the money I make from that will be put into the Miscellaneous Savings category. My mum and I have decided to go on a cruise in January/February of next year, so it will be saving for that. Also my phone and laptop seem to be reaching the end of their life and will probably need replacing soon.

I've decided that until further notice, I will not be putting any "extra" into the Emergency Fund, as I need to take some time to live my life and do some things for myself. So that's that.

I made $80 from extra hours this fortnight, but went over on groceries to the tune of about $40 :mad::mad: so I used some of it to cover that. From the rest, I put some in my Misc Savings and used $30 to start off my Cruise Fund!

So Cruise Fund = $30 in it so far. Not sure what my goal for that one is as we haven't even booked it yet :rotfl:

Now off to update my signature and check the supermarket catalogs for specials.

Wow, that was a long post.

:money::money:
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I can't remember how much it used to cost me to live alone, but I guess you know what you spend! I will say that once I added up what I spent on gifts/Christmas over the year and divided it out, it was quite an eye opener, and I don't even think I'm extravagant on gifts. So it might be worth doing that calculation.

The cruise sounds like a lovely idea, do you know where you want to go?
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well done on being debt free except the mortgage!! Ooo a cruise sounds great!!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Hello, my poor/neglected diary.

I have been extremely preoccupied the last few weeks and did not have it in me to keep up with my diary on top of everything else.

I have been doing the workload of two people as my colleague is on extended medical leave and they did not bring anyone in to replace her :eek:. Luckily it's a pretty quiet time of year so it hasn't been as bad as it could be.

Speaking of work.. I got a new job! :D

It's one that I applied/interviewed for a while ago that I was initially unsuccessful with. Its quite a long story but they had a preference to hire a part-time employee, which led them to choose someone else over me, but it didn't work out with her so they offered the position to me and have agreed to hire me full time. I am very excited but also extremely nervous. It's in the same industry that I work in already, but quite a different role. I am very happy and grateful, as this is the exact job that I've been wishing for the last year or so.:j

It's a $5k per year payrise to what my base salary is right now, but also 8 extra hours of work per week, so in the hourly sense I am technically taking a pay cut. But I don't really mind, because it's still quite good money for the position. Have been thinking and scheming of all the budget changes I will make. Trying not to let lifestyle inflation creep in.

Now for some numbers updates.

Emergency fund = $2325 / $10,000

Cruise Fund = $70 / ??

I also currently have $400 from all the extra hours I've been doing, which is currently sitting in a random account and is burning a hole in my pocket. My iPhone really needs a new battery and I'm debating whether to spend the $100 that it would take to replace it. I will have to do it eventually, just procrastinating I guess.
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Can't believe the weekend is over already :(
    (Sunday night here, almost 10pm)
    Was quite productive on Saturday, went to the hardware store and purchased some bits for my drill, wall mounted my tv, did some touch up paint around the house. Went ballistic doing all sorts of housework.

Today was extremely unproductive as had a friend over last night and we stayed up to some ungodly hour, which led me to both sleep in and take a nap today :shocked:

Managed to wash sheets and towels, but failed to wash and iron uniforms for the week. They are currently in the wash right now, :eek:

Am sitting here in bed on the laptop (terrible habit, I know). Thinking about my new job and how I need to make some positive changes in my life. Hopefully having more consistent working hours will help.

I need to get better about having a better sleeping pattern, planning meals/grocery shopping properly, getting some exercise, keeping up with housework etc.

I find that I get stuck in a viscous cycle where I slip off the wagon in some small aspect and then it all goes to hell. I also really struggle with my evening/after work routine. I tend to come home and plant my butt on the couch and then don't get anything done.

It's funny because when I lived at home with my parents, I was in a really good routine with all of those important "life" things, but since I moved out a few years ago, I haven't been able to get myself in a decent groove.

Struggling with grocery shopping, no idea what to buy/make. Any suggestions?
  • VelvetFreak
    edited 8 August 2017 at 10:51AM
    Options
    Hello Friends, Tuesday evening here, approx 7:30pm. Feeling quite smug as my house is clean, floor vacuumed, washing up done, kitchen tidied, bills paid, lunch in the fridge ready to be taken to work tomorrow.

I find I am currently wishing my life away as I cannot wait for the next couple of pay days as I have quite a bit of extra money coming in from all the additional hours I've been working.

I've got a million things that I want to do with the money. A huge part of me wants to put it all to the Emergency Fund goal and try really hard to get it done by the end of the year, that way I can move on with my life and start saving for other things. But starting a new job that does not have a full uniform (just a company shirt, I think?) I will need to put some aside for some wardrobe purchases. I also really need to put some more money away for Christmas as there is currently only about $30 in that fund at the moment. Also need to start saving seriously for this Cruise that I'm hoping to go on. So many things.

I also have approximately $3k in shares that I can cash out once I finish working for this company, which will go straight to the Emergency Fund.

Hmm. Say what you will about me, but I sure am good at planning. And thinking. Too much :wink:

In other smug news, I will finish the week without completely busting my grocery budget. Go me. :p
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    You're doing great!

If the weather's anything like it is here (we had hail and thunderstorms on the weekend) my dinner suggestions are slow cooked beef casserole, soup and curries!
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well done velvet! Good luck with the savings!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure