£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    supermarkets are fatal for making me spend more than intended, hence why I always (nearly always) do online shopping so I can control the spending better!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 10: Day 3

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm back! Last day of the holidays, DH is back to work today after the bank holidays, my 9,000 family members have departed and I am cringing at the state of my bank account.

Not only the enormous food and booze bill for catering for extra adults (only three extra at any one time, but all good eaters and drinkers, whereas DH and I don't really drink at all), but I gave into pressure to 'smarten up' and have ordered a load of new clothes. I did need them badly for work (I think I've mentioned I work loosely in the fashion industry, image matters big time) and I'm not sure how much longer I could have survived, but because i've ordered loads, intending to return some, my bank account is looking VERY sad. I haven't even entered it all in YNAB - need to wait for the various payments to clear my account today and I'll have a better idea where I stand.

I'm pleased to report that I did finish my dad's birthday sock knitting in time!

To do today:
    1. Update YNAB as payments clear from my account today. Sob quietly.
    2. Have as cheap as possible a day for the last day of hols. I was going to take the children to the cinema but have re-thought in the face of my bank account and am having a quiet day. Might go for a walk with them later if the weather is nice.
    3. Freeze any leftovers and do a menu plan for the week - we seem to have TONS of food leftover, which is good after last week's £70 over budget shop. Hoping to get away with a milk/veg/toilet roll top up.
    4. Tidy up the kitchen and hallway - going to focus on one area a day to recover from holiday mess.
    5. Mend DD's dressing up dress, before it gets so bad I have to buy a replacement.

To do this week:
    1. Make more candles - I did actually do this, but they kept being left to burn for hours due to heavy bathroom usage, so need to make some more. Need to find more containers so I can make more at any one time.
    2. Tidy whole house
    3. Attempt to balance holiday budget disaster area once all payments have cleared.

Nice to be back, I hope everyone else has managed slightly more MSE holidays!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • stoplurking
    stoplurking Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning ToP

Sounds like you've had a busy, expensive bank holiday weekend. Re the extra £70 on groceries- have you still got that chair to list on EBay? It could do for April what The Handbag did for March.

I wonder why the rellies didn't bring their own drinks?

The children will enjoy a walk with you, a nice opportunity to regroup after your busy holiday. Have a good day x
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fingers crossed you can keep the grocery shop down this week TOPM xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Have been updating YNAB, still loots of payments from the weekend to clear, but at least the picture is becoming clear. Mainly it's a picture of being very poor, but at least not getting poorer.

Had a lovely walk with the DC today and picked a load of wild garlic, which we threw into a soup with all the leftover potatoes and leeks from the weekend, so I'm feeling frightfully virtuous.

To do today:
    1. Update YNAB as payments clear from my account today. Sob quietly. Done.
    2. Have as cheap as possible a day for the last day of hols. I was going to take the children to the cinema but have re-thought in the face of my bank account and am having a quiet day. Might go for a walk with them later if the weather is nice. Done! Had to buy toilet rolls and stock cubes, but no other money spent.
    3. Freeze any leftovers and do a menu plan for the week - we seem to have TONS of food leftover, which is good after last week's £70 over budget shop. Hoping to get away with a milk/veg/toilet roll top up. Done. I think it should be a very low budget week, food-wise. The freezer is stuffed.
    4. Tidy up the kitchen and hallway - going to focus on one area a day to recover from holiday mess. Done.
    5. Mend DD's dressing up dress, before it gets so bad I have to buy a replacement. Not done yet. Bad mother.

To do this week:
    1. Make more candles - I did actually do this, but they kept being left to burn for hours due to heavy bathroom usage, so need to make some more. Need to find more containers so I can make more at any one time.
    2. Tidy whole house.
    3. Attempt to balance holiday budget disaster area once all payments have cleared.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What sort of containers do you use for your candles? do you mean like moulds (toilet roll holder for e.g.) or candle holders (like the Gu glass ramekins)?
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    What sort of containers do you use for your candles? do you mean like moulds (toilet roll holder for e.g.) or candle holders (like the Gu glass ramekins)?
    Holders - ramekins would be ideal if I had any! Will hunt round the house for similar ideas.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 5:37AM
    Options
    Week 10: Day 4

Sigh. Today will still mainly be about updating YNAB and sorting out the financial disaster area. I think it's safe to say I am EXCELLENT at managing finances on a day to day basis (loads of NSDs, good at food budgeting etc) and TERRIBLE at doing it for exceptional things (birthdays, family gatherings etc). I think it's a real need to 'make the most' of these events in terms of family and DC enjoying themselves, to be good hosts.

Also my clothes shopping over the weekend is an issue. I haven't had a 'clothes binge' since starting the MSE journey, but I would say they were a regular feature before this. It's incredibly easy for me to justify because of my job, and there is definitely a balance to be found somewhere between 'no clothes' (unsustainable, and what I have been doing since mid-February) and regular high street clothes shopping plus very occasional expensive designer purchases (also unsustainable, and what I was doing previously). I'm not quite sure where this balance lies for me, and it's a real area of work for me.

I got confirmation yesterday of the extra work I was approached about last week. It's more like £350 than £500, but is also a shorter day than expected, with a lovely train ride home all to myself afterwards. And if it goes well it should be at least twice a year thereafter.

To do today:
    1. Update YNAB as payments continue to clear from my account today. Continue to sob quietly.
    2. NSD
    3. Make risotto from the remaining wild garlic.
    4. Tidy up the dining room and stairs, continuing my 'one area a day' mission.
    5. Mend DD's dressing up dress, before it gets so bad I have to buy a replacement.
    6. Do some social media while working - have done practically none over holidays.

To do this week:
    2. Tidy whole house. (Getting there)
    3. Attempt to balance holiday budget disaster area once all payments have cleared. (Getting there)
  • BLOW_FLY
    BLOW_FLY Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Quite some story you have there ToP and a long journey ahead of you.

Fair play for facing up to the debts and tackling them head on, fortune favours the brave👍

I went down the consolidation route a few years (2014) back too for pretty much the same amount circa £20k which was all CC debt frittered away..... I have to say it worked for me as I closed all bar one CC accounts (need one for work) I had as soon as I'd consolidated and the outstanding debt is down to £6500.

Apologies, I have only read the first page and last two so this has probably already been covered (not time to read 32 pages). Maybe I mis understood but out of interest do you still have the loan from your parents or did you spend this when you received it? For instance if you still had it then I'd use it to clear the CC debt and part of the consolidation loan. What you'd save in interest payments would soon build the loan repayment fund back up.

BF
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    I think the key to solving the extra funds for family gatherings/birthdays things is to allocate another envelope to put a regular amount in.

I know it stretches things even further but when needed.......it doesnt put a hole in the overall finances and cuts the stress factor on you.

Another solution is to ask for a contribution from visitors.

I dont think its a bad thing that when you issue an invite to say..."I will provide food but a contribution of drinks would be appreciated"

We went to a family gathering on Sunday and everyone took their own drinks. Not one person commented and a good day was had.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback