PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Removing Suncream stains

Options

Comments

• booter
    booter Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another update! On the basis that the clothes were trashed anyway and I'd therefore got nothing to lose, I soaked them overnight in a mild bleach solution. And bingo! This morning all the pink had gone, along with the stains. Just hope they don't fall apart next time I wear them......! :D
  • hss
    hss Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Like others, I too have tried all the remedies when my (adult) son returned from holiday with BRIGHT ORANGE stains from sun lotion on white t.shirts & shorts. The colour of FAKE TAN which none of us use. I contacted Hawaii Tropic & complained, but they suggested the remedies which I had already done. So having tried all the suggestions, the bio detergents, soaking in soda crystals, the stain removers, washing up liquid etc., it was only after reading about Napisan that got me thinking. I had a rummage in the cupboards & found a bottle of sterilising fluid used for babies bottles & equipment etc. I thought I would try this, so added some in a bucket of water like on the instructions, put the items in & left them for a few days. When I then checked, I couldn't believe that not only the stains had gone but some colour design on the t.shirt hadn't been taken off as well. There is a slight bleach smell so perhaps there is some in it, but gentle at the same time if you have babies items to clean (which I don't).
    I hope this tip will be useful for others.
    Regards Heather;)
  • mumoftwogirls
    Options
    My daughter has just returned from a school trip with clothes covered in suncream marks, which is how I found this thread!

I have had them soaking in vanish but just found in the supermarket some Dylon fake tan remover which also works for sun cream.

I've bought some but just hope I haven't spoilt things by soaking in vanish first.
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I must agree with you, coffeeandfags, I found that Soltan was worse than most sun creams for staining. I had some success removing the stains by dampening them then rubbing thickly with Vanish bar before washing. Anything remaining after that, I soaked the clothes in a weak bleach solution. (I'm talking about white clothes here)
  • Working_and_Scheming
    Options
    The Lidl Cien suncream is hideous for staining fabric.
  • ceri123
    ceri123 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is a pretty old post but wanted to share that I got some pretty hideous Soltan Once stains out of clothing yesterday by pre-treating with Fairy Platinum washing up liquid - the one that's supposed to act like an overnight soak. Then I washed on 60 and they are super clean today. Note that all garments were plain white so no idea if it would affect colours, nor how it would affect delicates. However one garment was a white bra with some lacy fabric. It's white as new today. Glad I discovered this because it's the brain of my life and we are off on holiday soon armed with Soltan cream. Clearly I will now be packing Fairy Platinum too!
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi liquid for washing up or dishwash?
  • SJM_70
    Options
    Hi.
    We also suffer from the yellow sun cream stain problem when we return from our holidays year in year out and like many families we waist hundreds of pounds throwing good quality clothes away because usual methods of cleaning just dont budge the stains however all has changed !!! After reading various answers from various forums i decided to give NAPISAN a try. I soaked some very heavily stained white cotton t shirts and bikinis for 24 hrs in Napisan and cold water. I then ran them through a 40 degree wash with Napisan and to my shock all items can out fantastic !
    For less damaged clothing i again used another method i read somewhere recommending Fairy Platinum washing up liquid. Rub the liquid into the stains and leave for a while before again washing at 40 degrees. Again i got fantastic results. Both methods worked superb and im sure a mixture of he 2 or using both methods on same clothing would get your clothes like new and will save you hundreds of pounds. I also had color prints on some t shirts and they did not run. Result at last !!!!!! Napisan and fairy Platinum readily available from your local supermarket. Hope this helps give it a go and im sure you'll be as impressed as we were.
  • sharronima
    sharronima Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone had luck cleaning suncream from car upholstery?

I've got half bottle of it emptied on my rear seat, hadn't noticed the bottle was left open by my boys :(:(

I've got now this nasty grease stain all over

tried paint thinner as explained here howtocleanstains.com/clean-car-interior-stains but doesn't seem to work. Or maybe not doing it right

shall I go to car cleaners? try something else? any advice much appreciated!
  • liloandstitch
    liloandstitch Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2016 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Well, I had a whole bucketful of ruined white clothes, thanks to sun tan lotion. I scrubbed all the stains with neat fairy, some t-shirts I just rubbed it on - I did use loads! And then put it on a 40 degree cotton wash, with prewash. I use home made laundry liquid - put a cupful in prewash and normal and a scoop of stain remover in each. Everything has come out spotless! I am so impressed - thank you for the advice on here. I use fairy on all grease stains, which works beautifully - but didn't think to use it on lotion. I did worry that I was going to bubble over the machine, but it didn't. It has saved me a fortune - the clothes were tennis clothes and linen, which would have cost me a lot to replace.
    Live on £4000 a year again for 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport