Need to tell Husband about running up secret debt again 8 years after the first time.

Options

Comments

• alibat_2
    alibat_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2017 at 6:20PM
    Options
    Great news about the teaching. Try and make minimum payment plus £1 on top.
    Is this secondary?

I'm planning on rounding everything up. Eg one card has a minimum payment of around £106 so I'll round up to £110. Any extra will go on the one with the highest APR. I've always been worried though that as I don't get paid in the school holidays or if I'm sick, I'll run out of cash to pay my minimums if I pay more. However, now it's out in the open if I did fall ill I could be honest with my husband about the reason I had no money. One thing that's bothered me in the past though is when I've made the extra payments, the amount has been taken off my dd rather than being in addition to it.

And yes, it is secondary. I teach (science). A supposedly intelligent woman with a masters degree who can't manage her money! How embarrassing :(
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Science? Aren't those kind of teachers rare? Can't you get an extra payment for this?!
    Want to swap? I'm in EYFS :)
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • alibat_2
    Options
    OK. First day of work went fine. I've worked there a lot in the past, and found out that the department have been asking for me almost since the start of term but the mangers tried holding on as long as long as possible to save money. Felt much happier working, and it took my mind off things.

Still not really made much headway with OH. On the one hand, when we are not discussing the debt we are pretty much back to normal in the way he is speaking to me. However, when I brought the topic up last night, he said things that I know aren't true but I am in no position to argue with him. It's something he does a lot, exaggerates to make things out to be worse than they are. He kept asking how I got the cards and run up such huge debts, saying I must have lied on the application forms (I didn't, I told him I was still in contracted work when they were taken out). He said I only needed to miss one payment before the bailiffs came round and cleared the house out and I could go to jail. I know these are not true, but I felt even worse. I've not mentioned depression to him, but he did say he didn't want to hear any bull***t about being ill either. Still a long way to go then :(
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    He's definitely angry about your debts, but perhaps needs more time to calm down. When he sees that you are serious about taking control and paying it back yourself, then hopefully he will feel more relaxed.

Depression is a serious issue, but he may be letting off steam and saying things he doesn't really mean because he is annoyed.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Oh dear he is still very angry. Not acceptable to belittle your health condition though and I strongly recommend you still keep the doctors appointment as your OH is so unsympathetic.

Keep paying the credit card payments and show him the statements monthly. Hopefully he will see you mean business. I would also prioritise fixing and selling your bike still.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • nkkingston
    Options
    Your husband is being a !!!!. I think it's important your hear that, and hold on to it. Depression also likes to lie and exaggerate, and the last thing you need right now is an external voice reinforcing your mental illness rather than supporting you in fighting it. You know it's coming from a place of hurt and maybe you can forgive him for what he's saying, but focus on a bit of self preservation right now.

If he's going to accuse you of lying, there's no point in showing him how you're paying down the debts. You know you're doing the right thing, and you're doing it for your sake, not his. When he's being reasonable, then reward him by showing him your budget plan and the impact your hard work is having.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • travelman86
    Options
    I think you're looking at this a little too one sided.

In my opinion he has every right to be angry - and someone that runs up debt after doing it before doesn't really deserve the patience and virtue received the first time round.

I agree the relationship is toxic - but he backed & helped out the first time - far from being an a$r3.

I commend alibat for telling him, but its kinda too little too late.

First time is a mistake, but to do it again, illness or not cannot be forgiven.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    alibat wrote: »
    OK. First day of work went fine. I've worked there a lot in the past, and found out that the department have been asking for me almost since the start of term but the mangers tried holding on as long as long as possible to save money. Felt much happier working, and it took my mind off things.

Still not really made much headway with OH. On the one hand, when we are not discussing the debt we are pretty much back to normal in the way he is speaking to me. However, when I brought the topic up last night, he said things that I know aren't true but I am in no position to argue with him. It's something he does a lot, exaggerates to make things out to be worse than they are. He kept asking how I got the cards and run up such huge debts, saying I must have lied on the application forms (I didn't, I told him I was still in contracted work when they were taken out). He said I only needed to miss one payment before the bailiffs came round and cleared the house out and I could go to jail. I know these are not true, but I felt even worse. I've not mentioned depression to him, but he did say he didn't want to hear any bull***t about being ill either. Still a long way to go then :(

If your OH says stuff that you know isn't true, simply and calmly tell him that you know that this isn't the case. If he says you must have lied on the application form say "Of course I didn't, and I'm very upset that you would think that of me". On stuff about Bailiffs etc then explain to him that this isn't the case but you know a lot of people do believe that ;) - and then direct him to look at the sites that you know give the correct information so he can understand how the situation works "as I hate to think of you being worried that things like that could happen when it simply isn't the case...". Above all though keep it calm and measured. Try to use phrases like "that comment makes me feel...." rather than "You are making me feel" as it makes it less personal and means it's more difficult for him to say you're attacking him or being defensive. Also remember that if you're saying how something is making you FEEL - if he tells you that you;'re wrong, you can explain that no, you know how you feel - and that you're being honest about those feelings.

You know and I know that he doesn't believe the things he's saying and that he's saying them because he's hurtful and angry - you can't change that but you can adjust the way you react to them.

Glad work is going well - keep on keeping on! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • DebtfreeV
    Options
    I think you're looking at this a little too one sided.

In my opinion he has every right to be angry - and someone that runs up debt after doing it before doesn't really deserve the patience and virtue received the first time round.

I agree the relationship is toxic - but he backed & helped out the first time - far from being an a$r3.

I commend alibat for telling him, but its kinda too little too late.

First time is a mistake, but to do it again, illness or not cannot be forgiven.

I agree with you.

I've read alibat's posts regarding her spending/debt problems from '09 and now again in '17.

I'm sensing a lot of passive-aggressive stuff here related to their "separatism" style relationship. They seem to be enabling each other by willingly refusing to be involved with each other's finances until there is a serious problem. Then they begin the blame game. Alibat needs to stop using excuses like illness/depression/work and take responsibility for her spending and health issues. Husband needs to pay attention to what she is doing financially and stop her before it becomes too serious. After all - she has done this before.

I sympathize with folks who have depression and/or illness but, over spending is an indulgence not an excuse.
  • alibat_2
    Options
    OK, those last two posts are only pretty much how I feel about things myself. But, things got really bad last night. Came home late from work, yelled at me and stormed off to bed. Not speaking. Triggered by me buying some fresh veg on my way home, which went to waste as he didn't eat his tea. Told me not to spend a penny without asking him first, and wanted my debit card. Not speaking this morning. Feeling suicidal again. Really don't know what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure