Lifetime ISAs guide

Options

Comments

• 29davidjones
    Options
    To keep this brief.

Stage 1: Open stocks and shares LISA with nutmeg tomorrow. (put £100 or £500) at risk 1.
    Stage 2: When cash ISA's open, transfer NUTMEG Lisa into a cash isa, at the same time also transfer help to buy cash isa into this cash isa. (or transfer help to buy isa later depends on interest rates)
    Stage 3: come April 6th 2018 , become eligible for 25% bonus. Ready to purchase a house come the late spring/ summer of 2018

I guess I'm right in thinking this?

This is my plan exactly - would love to hear from others to know whether this is fine.
  • Mr.Boy
    Mr.Boy Posts: 189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wanted to read a FAQ that's why I asked. But none is linked from this page's special header, that I can see? If there'd been an obvious link I'd have followed it ;)

Thanks for your answer.
  • Kreacher
    Kreacher Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 5 April 2017 at 1:30PM
    Options
    This is my plan exactly - would love to hear from others to know whether this is fine.
    To keep this brief.

Stage 1: Open stocks and shares LISA with nutmeg tomorrow. (put £100 or £500) at risk 1.
    Stage 2: When cash ISA's open, transfer NUTMEG Lisa into a cash isa, at the same time also transfer help to buy cash isa into this cash isa. (or transfer help to buy isa later depends on interest rates)
    Stage 3: come April 6th 2018 , become eligible for 25% bonus. Ready to purchase a house come the late spring/ summer of 2018

I guess I'm right in thinking this?

This is my exact plan too! But the Nutmeg LISA says it doesn't accept transfers from a htb ISA?The only thing I'm not sure about is are you allowed to transfer the Nutmeg s&s LISA and a HTB ISA into a cash LISA once they become available?
    Save 12K in 2017 #023 = £1345/ £6000 (22.41%)

Save 12K in 2016 #110 = £7500/ £6000 (100%)

20k by April 2018 = £8845/ £20000 (44%)
  • AcerBen
    AcerBen Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 April 2017 at 12:24PM
    Options
    Just one thing I'm not clear on, regarding the £4,000 annual limit - does that refresh every new tax year in April regardless of when you open the account, or is it on the anniversary of account opening?

I'm intending to buy around June 2019, so want to get three years' worth of bonus on £12,000 deposited. Do I need to "get the clock ticking" now by opening a S&S, or can I wait a couple months for the cash ones to open, because I'll still enter Year 3 in April 2019 regardless?

Thanks!
  • Jansenrovers
    Options
    Kreacher wrote: »
    But the Nutmeg LISA says it doesn't accept transfers from a htb ISA?

Where does it say this?? Couldn't see anything on Nutmeg's website.
  • tomtomtom93
    Options
    I have no plans or specific date to buy a house. I'm 23 not loads of money and I want to take advantage of a LISA. Would it be good to start the clock on a Stock and Shares LISA on *nutmeg* for example now... and then transfer my money to a Cash LISA when one opens. Or is it best to just wait for a CASH LISA and then start the clock?

my main worries are:
    i'm scared that i'll lose lots of money in fees if I put money in nutmeg (even at low risk)
    Scared what to do start it in S&S LISA or just wait for CASH LISA
    Worries i'll lose my money and not be able to transfer from S&S to a cash LISA

I'd really appreciate your help guys
    Thanks
    Tom
    :money:
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    Options
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Just one thing I'm not clear on, regarding the £4,000 annual limit - does that refresh every new tax year in April regardless of when you open the account, or is it on the anniversary of account opening?

I'm intending to buy around June 2019, so want to get three years' worth of bonus on £12,000 deposited. Do I need to "get the clock ticking" now by opening a S&S, or can I wait a couple months for the cash ones to open, because I'll still enter Year 3 in April 2019 regardless?

Thanks!

The payment limit is in line with the tax year so you get a new one on 6th April each year regardless of when you open it, but your first LISA needs to have been open at least 12 months before you can buy a house with it.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    Options
    I have no plans or specific date to buy a house. I'm 23 not loads of money and I want to take advantage of a LISA. Would it be good to start the clock on a Stock and Shares LISA on *nutmeg* for example now... and then transfer my money to a Cash LISA when one opens. Or is it best to just wait for a CASH LISA and then start the clock?

my main worries are:
    i'm scared that i'll lose lots of money in fees if I put money in nutmeg (even at low risk)
    Scared what to do start it in S&S LISA or just wait for CASH LISA
    Worries i'll lose my money and not be able to transfer from S&S to a cash LISA

I'd really appreciate your help guys
    Thanks
    Tom
    :money:

The only reason you'd open a stocks and shares LISA is if you expect to buy a house in April/May 2018.

Otherwise wait for cash LISAs.
  • Kreacher
    Kreacher Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Where does it say this?? Couldn't see anything on Nutmeg's website.

It says it in the stats box on the LISA guide: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs

What can I invest in? Choice of 10 fully-managed portfolios, or five 'fixed-allocation' portfolios
    Min investment: £100 lump sum
    Annual fees: Fully managed portfolio: £0-£100k at 0.75%. Fixed portfolio (for more experienced investors): £0-£100k at 0.45% Fund manager charges (estimated): 0.19%
    Can I transfer my Help to Buy ISA in? No
    Exit fees: None
    Save 12K in 2017 #023 = £1345/ £6000 (22.41%)

Save 12K in 2016 #110 = £7500/ £6000 (100%)

20k by April 2018 = £8845/ £20000 (44%)
  • DHC83
    DHC83 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    So I'm looking to get my first mortgage and this seems like the perfect way to save the deposit with a decent startup amount. Only problem is that the hype suggested it would be available in April, but no one other than Skipton is offering the cash LISA unitl June. I really wanted to get started asap. Does anyone know of other banks or firms due to offer the cash LISA soon?

Edit: It's going to be a few years before I have the full deposit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback