PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help for cloudy wine glasses!

Options

Comments

• dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to have this problem with my glassware all the time, no matter what I used in the dishwasher. "Finish" seemed to cause the problem more than others that I tried.

I now use Fairy gel pouchy things, which seem better, AND now I use a microfibre cloth to wipe the glasses as I take them out of the dishwasher (even if they don't look like they need it. I make myself do it EVERY time), and my current set has remained bloom free. So far anyway, which is several months now.
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    If vinegar can't get them clean then I'd chuck them in the bin.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    All my drinking glasses have nasty white marks on from the dishwasher - anyone know how to restore them and/or stop it happening again? (I know, wash them by hand, try telling my OH that!)

Many thanks!

Caroline
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    try soaking them in a bit of bicarb of soda - has always seemed to work for me
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hello,

we have several tall hi ball glasses, that are mostly washed in the dishwasher.......

we use, finish 3/4/5 in 1 tablets, add salt when required and rinse agent......

the glasses have all taken on look of mistiness....... meaning they all look as though they could do with a scrubbing, i have tried with scourer, but iwthout much success

any ideas on how i can return the tall tumblers to pristine (or ill settle for clear) condition again.....

many thanks in advance

rob
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It might mean they're scratched. If not that then try vinegar and a soft cloth to polish.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robnye wrote: »
    hello,

we have several tall hi ball glasses, that are mostly washed in the dishwasher.......

we use, finish 3/4/5 in 1 tablets, add salt when required and rinse agent......

the glasses have all taken on look of mistiness....... meaning they all look as though they could do with a scrubbing, i have tried with scourer, but iwthout much success

any ideas on how i can return the tall tumblers to pristine (or ill settle for clear) condition again.....

many thanks in advance

rob

When was the last time you checked the salt level?;)

I had this problem recently. I added some salt and the glasses are back to sparkling form again.:cool:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • rose_sparky
    rose_sparky Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have this problem too, the only way I can cure it is to use Glist tablets but not everyone stocks them.
  • Scout
    Scout Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    It is probable that they are permanaently marked. I have some (albeit cheap) glasses that are "misty" and scratched looking because they go through the dishwasher. I think it's something to do with the chemical makeup of that particular glass and how it reacts to being washed in a dishwasher, which is why some mark and some don't.

I do occasionally wash my expensive glasses in the dishwasher and they come out OK. However, if in doubt, wash them by hand.
  • mummy2jack
    mummy2jack Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    We too notice our glasses turn misty after a wash when the salt is running low in the DW.
    Finish do some tablets call quantum tablets that are suppose to leave glasses shining, Never tried them myself as I think they are too expensive, I am sure they also do a protector for glasses too.
    October grocery Challenge
    £131.50/£200 /£68.50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family