Options
thebigcheese
thebigcheese Posts: 111 Forumite
edited 1 March 2015 at 8:59PM in Benefits & tax credits
Post Deleted

Comments

• thebigcheese
    Options
    p.s i dont know if i will get tax credits yet, the placement is 37 hrs per week
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    hi blondebubbles, again, its a paid supervised placement, paid by the uni, employed, but the uni still say im a full time student because its part of my sandwhich year.
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    just need to make sure my mum will remain unaffected
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    its not essential, its just highly reccomended. other than the standard very small student loan for this year that is all i would get, its a computing course not a nursing or teaching degree
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    My student loan circa £1700, salary £240, DLA
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    sorry £13k a year
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    thanks, yea its changed slightly since before, i know i dont have to pay council tax but because im earning the salary and tax credits will it do anything to my mums housing allowance for her mortgaged house (everyone else?). I do not pay anything to my mum. She lets me live freely so long as i buy my own food.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks, yea its changed slightly since before, i know i dont have to pay council tax but because im earning the salary and tax credits will it do anything to my mums housing allowance for her mortgaged house (everyone else?). I do not pay anything to my mum. She lets me live freely so long as i buy my own food.

You are classed as a non dependent. The only benefits that are affected are housing benefit and council tax reduction. If your mum is receiving these then she will lose some of her HB and CT reduction according to how much you earn. You can look up the rates on your local council website.

Although you are not liable for rent or council tax it is expected that you would financially 'help out' so that your mum does not suffer financially.

Your mum must report the change of circumstances to the council.

Having said that I am unsure whether she is getting HB or Support for mortgage interest as you mention a mortgage?
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    she is getting support for the interest not housing benefit.

She gets council tax benefit because shes on ESA and doesnt work
  • thebigcheese
    Options
    she has also claims pip too the lower care
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business